vertigo and nausea help

Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 AM

I'm so happy you can sew again! I know it's a bummer when you can't.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:21 PM

I have had vertigo several times. The first time my ear was impacted with wax. both times since that I have gone to the chiro and been adjusted. It is such an awful feeling when you can't stand and walk because you are sooooo dizzy
Old 02-02-2012, 04:36 PM

I am checking out the sea bands. Do you wear one on each wrist? Thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM

1/4 of a scopalomine patch works wonders. If you use the whole thing you are going to sleep, but 1/4 only makes you a little foggy, till it clears up
Old 02-02-2012, 05:26 PM

So glad it worked for you and that you can again enjoy your sewing and quilting. Many years ago, I went to bed that night feeling just fine and the next morning when I tried to get out of bed, the whole room was spinning. I laid down for a few moments and then attempted to get up again and the same thing happened. My husband brought me to my ENT's office and the first thing he did was put an intravenuous injection in my arm. I don't remember what he gave me, but it worked and have never had vertigo since, I am happy to say. Never really knew what caused it. Have a great day.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:27 PM

Glad you are better! Vertigo is awful!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:10 AM

I have vertigo spells too. I've found that when I fell an attach coming on I can avoid it by the way I hold my head. Going to the hairdresser or dentist provokes my attacks. Certain exercises too. I used to have a perscription, but it made me to sleepy. My DD and youngest DB also have vertigo. Not a fun thing.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:45 AM

I have delt with this for years. I've had every test they offer, you name it I have had it and nothing shows up.
I have told so many Dr's that I feel it in my neck but they don't agree but I know what I feel.
I sleep on a very thin pillow and for years this seems to help alot.
I have learned sea sick pills are the same as the medication the Dr's gave me. So I keep them at my bed side.
I usuall wake up with the verdigo and nausea so the min. I feel it I take a pill.
Seems to help a lot.
I also have found when it's so bad, if some one puts pressure on both sides of my head ( like holding a basket ball) this helps to calm things down.
After years of having this problem I have found my balance is off at times.
Hope you stay well, this is NO fun.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:02 PM

Yes! both wrists and be sure to follow the diagram. If it's not in the right place it won't work! i looked the spot up and it's an accupressure point! Maybe that's why mine has to be so tight? hope it helps!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:24 AM

I too was in a car accident, 4 years ago, and we just call it 'when I was hit in the head.' What happened is the same thing that happens in 'shaken baby syndrome, and the rocks in my inner ear were like many memories, knocked from where they were kept, and luckily, the ear rocks were painlessly helped to be put where they didn't cause trouble.

Like was mentioned, the Epley manuever helped greatly. It never went completely away, and just 2 weeks ago I saw something on a show called Medical Mysteries, that gave a name to what is left, Disembarkemnt syndrome. It feels like what one feels when getting off a boat. In her case, it went away when she drove, and I thought, THAT'S ME!
Whenever I ride in my husband's truck, the feeling goes away, but every time I get out, I have to take about 20 seconds to let everything in my ear get back to where it belongs. All this time I didn't realize, other people were the same way!

They just said they don't now why it happens, and sometimes it goes away just as mysteriously. They think the constant vibration of the truck running overstimulates whatever is involved in my head, and the overstimulation is soothing.

I'm lucky when I sew, no change, and I just feel lucky I retained the sewing knowledge I had before.

One problem I do have is making decisions, meaning I have a hard time deciding what to do with my stash. I've gotten over the indecision I feel when choosing what fabric to buy, but it still lingers when I decide what to do with it!

I'm so glad you've found something that makes sewing enjoyable again!