Be very cautious...

Old 04-21-2013, 05:07 AM

It is not Pinterest, it is the sites that people are posting on Pinterest. One of them has pirated copies of cross stitch copyrighted material. I think people try to get these designs for free from Russian sites (ending in .ru) and Chinese sites and are infected at that time.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
I just spent a small fortune having my computer fixed because I was hit by a virus. So, please be very cautious when going on to web-sites such as Pinterest etc. Some of the "pins" may be infected and when you click on to get a recipe or pattern, whatever, you end up infecting your computer. Also, don't think that because you have Norton you're safe. That's what I had and as it was explained to me, they can only protect against known viruses. So, be careful!
Thanks for the warning. I was on there yesterday trying to get a pattern but couldn't. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:18 AM

I had that happen to me as well. Even though I have had a 40 year career in Telephony I fell for a scan call that claimed that my computer had some kind of virus that needed to be repaired and I gave them control of my computer. I did not click the box that gave them control "anytime" though and as soon as they led me to a website that looked just like the Intel website but did not have the logo I was sure I had been scammed and quickly unhooked my computer. shut it down and then back up and ran the scan. So even those of us that know better are capable of being scammed.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:00 AM

I NEVER browse without Sandboxie! It is a free program, and the way it works is that if you go to a site (like pinterest) and click on something...a malware may jump on your computer, but it is contained within the "sandbox". Then you just delete the sandbox and poof...the malware is gone. It never had a chance to do-its-thing... I feel a lot safer using it against those drive-by viruses.

Hope this helps someone.

Levada
Old 04-21-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by levada View Post
I NEVER browse without Sandboxie! It is a free program, and the way it works is that if you go to a site (like pinterest) and click on something...a malware may jump on your computer, but it is contained within the "sandbox". Then you just delete the sandbox and poof...the malware is gone. It never had a chance to do-its-thing... I feel a lot safer using it against those drive-by viruses.

Hope this helps someone.

Levada

This is an excellent point. I use it myself. The only reason I don't always recommend it in a forum post is that it doesn't always work right out of the box. I will give Sandboxie this, their help on their site is excellent.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the info....
Old 04-21-2013, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
They are everywhere! Used to have problems with my PC, now have a Mac and not once in 4 years so far, knock on wood. Will never go back to PC.
I don't read e-mail or do facebook or pinterest on my PC any more. I only use my iPad. Hackers have not figured out Apple's system yet. I hope they never do. Too bad they don't put their brains to good use.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by nstitches4u View Post
I don't read e-mail or do facebook or pinterest on my PC any more. I only use my iPad. Hackers have not figured out Apple's system yet. I hope they never do. Too bad they don't put their brains to good use.
I would be extremely careful with that belief...

2008 - http://www.itworld.com/mac-hacked-fi...contest-080327
2009 - http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hac...pard,8704.html
2009 - http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...wser-economics - "Macs are easy to hack, but not really worth the effort"
2010 - http://www.pcworld.com/article/18976...safer_mac.html
2011 - http://www.dailytech.com/Apples+OS+X...ticle21097.htm

That's just on the first page of google. The Mac's are invulnerable is all marketing. I've been in the Industry for 16 years. It's not true.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

That's so sad especially when all seems so innocent.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:46 AM

Norton-does have a protection plan-it protects from all known and unknown-someone needs to check with them-I have never gotten a virus, you have to empty SPAM and junk mail everyday