Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should this make me cautious? >

Should this make me cautious?

Should this make me cautious?

Old 05-12-2011, 02:57 PM

Today I decided to finally stop in at the LQS to take a look around and see if they sold a Chalk Pounce. A lady came from the back, said hi and asked if she could help me. I told her what I was looking for, a chalk pounce, she looked at me like I had two heads. I tried to explain it to her and she said she had never heard of it. I just happend to look up at the wall behind her and noticed they did sell them in both red and blue chalk. Upon taking it down she looks it over and makes a comment about how much easier that would make in marking designs on quilt using a stincil.
The shop is beautiful by the way and appears to be very well stocked, I just have to wonder about the knowledge of the employees or ?owner?. Being a beginner the last thing I need is the wrong advice.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:01 PM

cautious about what? She obviously wasn't trying to sell you something ;-)
Old 05-12-2011, 03:02 PM

Since it's a new shop everyone there is probably learning on the job. Maybe ask for advice here, and then go there with knowledge of what you want. Give them some time...they'll become familiar with all their stock over time.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

I use to work in a retail store and though I knew quite a bit, I didn't know it all - maybe she was new or quilting is not her area or expertise. Just think today you taught her something new :lol:
Old 05-12-2011, 03:22 PM

Everyone learns something new if they pay attention... Let's hope you taught her something. <grin>
Old 05-12-2011, 03:23 PM

I would be cautious taking advice from them, but other than that I would go back. I encounter people who don't know what they are talking about quite often. But as long as I know what I am looking for its all good!
Old 05-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Banned

A am a quilter, a longarmer and work in the fabric department. I still learn things from my customers from time to time.
I do love it when they ask me for something they think I won't know about and I can either take them right to it and/or tell them all about it!
You taught her something that now she can pass along. :)
Old 05-12-2011, 05:08 PM

I would wait to judge until you have met some of the other employees. Ask some questions that you already know the answer to and see how that goes. It might have been a new job for her. You can always get a second opinion from here to help in your evaluation.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by valsma
The shop is beautiful by the way and appears to be very well stocked, I just have to wonder about the knowledge of the employees or ?owner?. Being a beginner the last thing I need is the wrong advice.
Yes, I would be cautious....about their knowledge. At least the knowledge of that particular person. Ask for the owner if you have a specific question and aren't sure you are getting the right answer.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:14 PM

When ever the voice in my head makes me wonder if I am getting the best answer , I ask the sales person "so what kind of quilting do you do?" since there is so much diversity with in the art/craft they may be expert in something but be very limited in your type/method.
It would be like asking a dedicated hand quilter "so how would you or what would you recommend for machine quilting this?".
The diversity in the art/craft exists in every step of the process.