Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should this make me cautious? >

Should this make me cautious?

Should this make me cautious?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:26 PM
cjr

Give the shop a few chances. As a former business owner it is my experience a limited number of employees are really knowledgable. The exception seems to be in quilt shops. in LQs most employees work for fabric and are themselves quilters.
The person you met may have been a relative needed to stand in while owner had a pressing matter. Think of this she greeted you and was cordial. That counts for something.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by MyWifeMadeME
Everyone learns something new if they pay attention... Let's hope you taught her something. <grin>
I love your name on here. But now I want to know "what your wife made you do?."
Old 05-12-2011, 10:06 PM

Just share your knowledge with her and be ever so glad that you have a LQS.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 PM

The main thing I have learned about customer service in retail, is to tell the customer "I'm not sure, but let me find someone that does know". Then we both learn.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
Today I decided to finally stop in at the LQS to take a look around and see if they sold a Chalk Pounce. A lady came from the back, said hi and asked if she could help me. I told her what I was looking for, a chalk pounce, she looked at me like I had two heads. I tried to explain it to her and she said she had never heard of it. I just happend to look up at the wall behind her and noticed they did sell them in both red and blue chalk. Upon taking it down she looks it over and makes a comment about how much easier that would make in marking designs on quilt using a stincil.
The shop is beautiful by the way and appears to be very well stocked, I just have to wonder about the knowledge of the employees or ?owner?. Being a beginner the last thing I need is the wrong advice.
Well, at least the one who stocked the shop seemed to know what they were doing. Maybe you can find out who that is.
Robin in TX
Old 05-13-2011, 03:27 AM
Banned

Maybe she is a "beginner" also & not yet familiar w/the store inventory or w/quilting. You had a great teaching moment & bet she went home thinking (maybe even talking about) "you learn something new every day". :lol:
Old 05-13-2011, 03:40 AM

Just a thought don't especially care for the pounce, much prefer the little chalk pen type.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:12 AM

I think I would say something to the manager or owner about the incident. If they don't have a clue about sewing, they can't be of help to quilters or people who sew. No sale, no business. Everyone who works in a speciality store should have some knowledge about what they are selling. If they don't know, they should ask until they will be able to explain what the item is for and how to use it to the customer. Myself, I probably wouldn't go back to a shop that didn't even know what they had for sale.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by SueDid
I'm curious to hear how you like it once you try it. I had one years ago and it was super fast to mark with but the marks would be long gone before I finished quilting even a block.
I would like to hear too. I haven't heard the most positive things about them.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:48 AM

About 10 years ago I worked at Joanns. When I first started, I tried to go in a little early so I could browse the store to familiarize myself with what and where things were. If a customer asked me about something I wasn't familiar with, I would simply say, "I'm new here, let's go look for it together."