Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Should this make me cautious? >
  • Should this make me cautious?

• Should this make me cautious?

Old 05-13-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
    Today I decided to finally stop in at the LQS to take a look around and see if they sold a Chalk Pounce. A lady came from the back, said hi and asked if she could help me. I told her what I was looking for, a chalk pounce, she looked at me like I had two heads. I tried to explain it to her and she said she had never heard of it. I just happend to look up at the wall behind her and noticed they did sell them in both red and blue chalk. Upon taking it down she looks it over and makes a comment about how much easier that would make in marking designs on quilt using a stincil.
    The shop is beautiful by the way and appears to be very well stocked, I just have to wonder about the knowledge of the employees or ?owner?. Being a beginner the last thing I need is the wrong advice.
    Well having worked at many a store and asked many questions about stock, all I can say is "you just cannot remember everything that is in your store no matter how you try and the older you get the more difficult it seems to be" Also this person may have been a beginning quilter herself, maybe she knows nothing about fabric and is a family member that needed a job? Who knows! At least she was not snotty to you and you did show her merchandise that she did not know she had, so good for you! You not only helped her but you probably helped someone else who wanted to find the same thing. That is a win win no matter how you look at it. :)
    Old 05-13-2011, 04:52 AM

You arent alone, Ive been in one shop where the clerk was using the rotary cutter like a chop saw. She didnt know it ROLLED across the fabric. I asked her if she had ever used one before and she said no, so I showed her how it worked....
    and her eye lit right up! Maybe some shop owners should not assume their new help knows all they need to know.
    Old 05-13-2011, 05:00 AM
    Power Poster

I might look for someone else to ask for advice, however I wouldn't NOT go to that store. I know that sometimes one of my LQS owners has to run out for something or is out of town. Her DH "mans" the shop then. He isn't all that much help..but the store is open, has merchandise and fabric for me to buy..so I'm happy. There is plenty of advice here when I need it.
    Old 05-13-2011, 05:53 AM

Give it another chance. I also work in a shop and have a lot of knowledge about a lot of things BUT little knowledge on a lot of things. She was partly right about the stencil, I do use the chalk pounce with stencils that I buy as well as ones I create myself.
    Brenda
    Old 05-13-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Great-great granny
    Maybe she is a "beginner" also & not yet familiar w/the store inventory or w/quilting. You had a great teaching moment & bet she went home thinking (maybe even talking about) "you learn something new every day". :lol:
    She may be an eager learner as well. Our LQS hired a new girl about a year and a half ago. She had no quilting/sewing experience but had a wonderful eye for design and color. She's since proven that she can do anything she puts her mind to and is really wanting to learn it all. I'll never forget being in the shop when someone came in and asked her if they carried stilettos. The look on her face was priceless! I know she thought this lady was looking for new shoes to go with her little black dress!!! I jumped in and made it a teaching moment. We still laugh about it. :lol:
    Old 05-13-2011, 06:25 AM

I agree with a lot that has been said, New employee, sure but being a newbee well that to. But the Customer should not have to give service to them selves. Thats me though..
    Old 05-13-2011, 06:46 AM

My guess is you taught her something (everyone should learn at least one new thing every day) and she will probably never forget it. For sure she will use the information with another customer and feel good doing it.
    Old 05-13-2011, 07:03 AM

Sorry, I don't know what a chalk pounce is either.
    Old 05-13-2011, 07:13 AM
    Power Poster

It's no excuse for a quilt shop not to keep up with what is new. (The Pounce isn't even new, it's been around for years). The quilt shop trade magazines, the quilt supply distributors, the instant online resources, the market shows, or at least emails from manufacturers when a new product is available, make it so simple. Heck I get all those and I don't own a quilt shop.
    Old 05-13-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I also hope you go back but the others gave you some good advice.
    You just taught me something too! I never heard of that stuff- now I'm going to look for it :D:D
    Sounds like a good product!
    I have it in blue and white, though I have yet to use it. I'm not a hand quilter, but seems it would work great for marking lines for machine quilting.

I wouldn't fault the lady for not knowing every single product there is to know about quilting. She may have taken a job there to learn more things herself. If I was in your shoes, I would definitely go back there. She probably appreciates that she learned something from you!