Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vinegar! Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by omacookie View Post
    A tablespoon of vinegar will cure hick-ups.
    A teaspoon of (dry) sugar will also cure hiccups. A pinch of dry sugar will cure a baby's hiccups.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by yonnikka View Post
    This is my true story: I have cured Infected Sinus by drinking small shots of Apple Cider Vinegar for several days in a row. I take a little cup, put in one or two tablespoons of the vinegar, and add about quarter cup of water. (ratio about 1:3 or 1:4) Then, I drink it. Three or four times a day. For 4 or 5 days in a row. My sinus cleared up. I have waited few days to see if this remedy is really real... and I'm convinced. But one warning: the vinegar will "clean" your tongue so thoroughly that it will be sore, the taste buds will be in shock. Better to drink your little cups with a straw.
    What you're referring to as 'cleaning' the tongue, sounds to me like a chemical burn. Sounds like your body is warning you against doing this.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    I add a capful of apple cider vinegar to my glass of ice water in the summer. Much more refreshing than sodas.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I use Bragg organic vinegar or apple vinegar. I just put some in a shot glass and down it. You can get additional information on their web site and also buy books that may answer some of your questions. www.bragg.com

I would not suggest taking apple cider vinegar undiluted, it can be quite acidic and I have a friend who read to take 2 TB and she threw up!

I take a large glass of ice water and add aprox 1 TB of ACV and drink that like I would drink ice-t ... I will do this 2-3x a day ... you can do a search 'health benefits of apple cider vinegar' and find that it is quite good for us and so many ways.

Putting ACV on your salads with olive oil is good too, I make my salads with just a bit of oil, add about 1 TB of blue cheese dressing and splash ACV over it ...
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

Quote Originally Posted by T. View Post
    I have read that if you put vinegar in the water that you wash your fruits in, it'll help get rid of the bacteria etc. & keep your fruits fresh longer.
    I do this, but using white vinegar cuz it is less expensive than ACV, and it does kill any little bugs that might be in your produce as well as remove chemicals, bacteria etc and definitely makes my lettuces, kale, etc last longer.
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

Blog Entries
    Earth Clinic http://earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.html, is a great website for home remedies, and they have a lot of information on Apple Cider Vinegar. (Braggs is about the best on the market).

Blog Entries
    I have apple cider vinegar mainly because I had a recipe to put one cup of it in a slow cooker and then top with butternut squash (cut up) and then a pork loin roast. yummy!!

I tried using vinegar/water solution for soaking feet to sluff off dead skin and help with arthritis .... not as easy as it sounded. Dead skin did not come off easily, lots of rubbing was required and did not seem to help with arthritis, at least no more than soaking in warm water. I'd rather soak in epsom salts for health benefits.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Salad dressing...balsamic please!
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    I drink Apple Cider Vinegar every morning. I have it in quite warm water. Tried it cold but couldn't handle it. It has helped with arthritis pain. I also use it for cleaning along with bi carb soda and it is the cheapest most effective air freshener I've ever found.

I picked up a book at Sam's Club about the wonders of apple cider vinegar before Christmas. My DD took it home with her and when I went back to buy another they had sold out. It told how to use it for all kinds of things.

Blog Entries
    Not exactly vinegar solution, but my aunt, Mother and hubby drink maybe a quarter cup of dill pickle juice for muscle cramps.

Blog Entries
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

White vinegar Diluted in water is great for produce. It's amazing how much dirt and little bugs comes off of grapes.
    White vinegar and water is also great to use for cleaning tile floors. Kills germs and is much cheaper than commercial cleaners.

Years ago, we used to use a tablespoon of vinegar in a quart of water for douching after having our babies.
    My sister was using 1/2 cup in a quart for two or three days and she said she was burning. I told her that was way to much, so she cut it down and was much better.
    It also cleans up pet stains on terrazzo floors, cleans windows.
    As for drinking, I've heard of 1 teaspoon in a glass of water first thing in the morning for cleaning out the bacteria, but to my way of thinking, if you can kill the bad bacteria, you will also kill the good bacteria at the same time.
    I remember Dr. Oz saying to test the acid in your stomach to see if you have to much or to little.
    Syl

I am pretty sure that it all depends on your individual system, whether vinegar is good for you, or not. As a child, I was forever trying to drink the pickle juice and my mother catching me and telling me no, that is a bad thing to do. Well, to this day, I will drink the pickle juice and if none is available, I always have a bottle of Braggs on the counter. My body says it needs vinegar.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

We used to make a drink called Switchel back in the day for the hay crew. It was very refreshing and tasted like a sweet/sour apple cider. It was a few tbls of apple cider vinegar, honey, and water served very cold over ice. If you do an internet search you will find many recipes and variations available. It is a very good substitute for the sugary sports drinks.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

Plain white vinegar in a small mixing bowl will kill odors from painting and stinky pets. Just place it in the room and shut the door for a few hours. We did this once with one of our dogs. She smelled really bad after living with to male wolf hybrids. We brought her home in the back of my truck. She stunk up the bedrug we have in there. Placing the vinegar in the truck bed with the canopy door and windows shut for 24 hours did wonders.

Soaking rusty nuts and bolts, wrenches and small hand tools in plain vinegar for a while removes rust. Just make sure you clean and rinse all the vinegar off or the vinegar will continue to eat away at your stuff.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

FIf you are drinking it usually you use apple cider vinegar with 'mother'! Yes it will have floaty bits in it but its good for you! . Bragg is a popular brand. 2tbs in a glass of water is how I drink it! You become accustomed to the taste! I also use apple cider vinegar as my conditioner and baking soda for my shampoo! My hair has never been healthier!

Eat a pickle or some sauerbraten once in awhile. Good enough for me.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

There are so many of you that understand the benefits of vinegar! I drink 1 Tbsp Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar in 1 cup warm water with 1 tsp honey each morning. You can add to this habit 1 tsp lemon juice (fresh squeezed) in 1 cup water and 1 tsp honey. Both of these habits are GOOD FOR YOU. I also use 1 cup vinegar in 1/2 to 1 gal water for a rinse after shampooing my hair. I use Miracle II soap for my shampoo. In this shampoo I add 1 Tbsp Collidial Silver. I have healthy hair.
    There are good books on the Vinegar - one is "The Healing Powers of Vinegar" by CFal Orey. There is also a very good book "Never feel Old Again" by Raymond Francis.
    I have heard and will try the soaking of feet in warm water with vinegar for getting dead skin off feet. Also soaking in tub with Epsom Salts.. drinking 1 tsp soda in water is good for you also. Coconut Oil is also very good for you. I use this on my face and hair. You can also drink it. I use it for when I occassionally fry something.
    Speaking about acid - many items when they enter your body change to alkaline. All of the above are good for your PH. I have researched health issues since 1986. One thing I have recently learned about is Upper Cervical Chiropractic Care. They concentrate on the C1 and C2 vertrbrae which is where your brain stem goes through. If these two are out of alignment it affects your whole body. I hope this information helps you
    Janice

whoops author of the Vinegar book is Cal Orey

Both of my parents drink apple cider vinegar everyday. Dad says its good for what ails you. His main use for it is controlling his sugar level. It works almost immediately. I thought he was joking so he showed me how well it worked by taking his sugar before and after. I tried drinking in several different ways with sugar, honey, in a glass of water....gagged everytime and burped it up all day long. NOT FOR ME! Momma swears by the foot soaking.

I read the same thing by a doctor about the good effect on diabetes. Allergies, a glass morning and night, too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast