Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Walk in Bathtubs - anyone purchase one? >

Walk in Bathtubs - anyone purchase one?

Walk in Bathtubs - anyone purchase one?

Old 08-17-2011, 10:50 AM

I don't have any experience in this matter, but I do have a thought.

It seems to me that one has to sit (naked) in the tub and then fill it with water, and then after bathing, remain in the tub naked while it drains. I think I would be chilled if I had to do that.

A walk in shower with a nice sturdy bench and hand rails seems like a better option. I think it might be esthetically nicer as well...particularly if the home is sold in the future.

I have no idea of the cost involved in these two options or what your budget will allow, but I hope you find the perfect solution.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 AM

I think it will work well for you as long as you have the inline heater to keep the water warm and you can always have a large towel or robe handy by the tub to cover up as the tub empties. I have a large jetted tub and sit in it every night for about 1.5hrs while I read quilt magazines or a book. It really helps relax me and Dr. recommended it since I retain water. Said the jetted action helps force tissue fluid back into my blood vessels. Thankfully I have no issues with my knees or legs so can get in and out easily. Good luck!
Old 08-17-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by katcox
Originally Posted by dakotamaid
I will follow this thread as I'm curious also.
I myself think they would be great. then I had a friend tell me, o you going to sit there while it drains, how long does it take to fill? Blah blah!!!!
Tub drains fast - 2 to 3 mins only. The walk in tub is shorter than a regular tub, so you can have a towel behind your head to wrap around you if you choose as the water drains.
I want to be able to SOAK with jacuzzi jets! You can not do that in a walk in shower.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:29 PM

I am 76, have arthritis really bad and I have a walk in shower with a nice shower stool. Have hand held shower head with long hose. Works great for me. Not near as expensive as the walk in bath tub. You can also have bathtub cut down and made into a shower and the cost of that is usually about $1000. When they are finished it's a really nice and pretty installation. Looks like it came from the factory that way.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:49 PM

I will also be watching this thread to see if it is a workable solution for both my mother and husband.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:29 PM

Thanks for posting the subject and thanks for all the good tips. After hearing some down sides, including the cost, I agree the walking shower and bench is the way I'd go for sure. :D :D :D
Old 08-17-2011, 02:09 PM

I'm not up on the workings of walk in showers. Sound good if one can afford it.
When I had 1st knee replacement, GH put grab bars in the tub.When I had 2nd knee done, he added 2 more,including a long one on the wall.3 mos ago, I had 1st hip replaced. Poor guy...was so scared I'd fall. Then we saw an ad on tv...where they cut a step into side of tub tub.Looked into it & the man we talked to was putting doing it in a new nursing home, so we could see it.

Decided to have it done & works great.I can turn around when using the tub shower, have a flexible hand held shower head that has several diff choices with a long line.
I have room for a shower seat if/when it's needed.Works for me & DH thinks it's way safer than having to step in/out of tub.Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-243204.jpe  
Old 08-17-2011, 02:44 PM

The cut out in the tub works great. I live in a large retirement home and most of the apartments have them. It gives us lots of space for our stools and benches. We all have additional grab bars, also. The call cords are right next to the tubs/showers for emergency.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:51 PM

I think you need to decide if you just want to get cleaned off, in which case the shower would be enough, or if you have pain and want to use it to help ease your pain, in which case the walk in tub could help do that. I'm thinking my friend said she got some help (from medicare?) on the cost. If you're wanting one, check with medicare and your doctor before you get one. She also said hers fills and drains real quick. She starts drying her arms and goes from there by the time she gets to her legs its empty.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
I am looking into getting one, have an estimator coming out to do the measurements on both of my tubs - in case it won't do in one bath it can go in the other one.
What is the opinion of those who own them please, do you like it overall, what kinds of problems if any have you had etc.
I would go with a shower some have a place to sit down and are so easy to step into. There are more options check out what is available.