Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Walk in Bathtubs - anyone purchase one? >

Walk in Bathtubs - anyone purchase one?

Walk in Bathtubs - anyone purchase one?

Old 08-17-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Traditional
Originally Posted by DebsShelties
I am looking into getting one, have an estimator coming out to do the measurements on both of my tubs - in case it won't do in one bath it can go in the other one.
What is the opinion of those who own them please, do you like it overall, what kinds of problems if any have you had etc.
I would go with a shower some have a place to sit down and are so easy to step into. There are more options check out what is available.
I already have a walk in shower, I want to be able to sit and soak in a bathtub!
I can't do that in a regular tub due to back injury from years ago, my knees are no longer stable so kneeling or squatting is impossible.
Walk in tubs solve that problem and would allow me to have a bath 2 - 3 times a week with jacuzzi jets instead of always showers.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:00 PM

I was looking at the walk in tubs but heard that it is a downside to selling the house. So I am going to put in a large glass in shower with built in seat and massage jets then on my deck will put in a hot tub. The deck side hot tub will be nice entertainment when my daughter and her DH and the 2 boys want to use it. Of course one of the rules will be that I must be in it at the same time. Will probably live in it all year long.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I considered one for my late DH. The cost was too much for us and I couldn't figure out why anyone would want to sit there waiting for it to drain!!! Seems you'd be cold. We had a larger shower and just added a shower stool for him to sit on and handles to hold onto. It was easy for me to hop in with him and shower him.
I did the same for my late DH.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:29 PM

Don't think I will be buying one since I just read in todays newspaper about 2 women getting stuck in them.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:03 PM

took my tub out and replaced it with a huge walk-in shower. I just don't take baths!! Sorry!!
Old 08-17-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I considered one for my late DH. The cost was too much for us and I couldn't figure out why anyone would want to sit there waiting for it to drain!!! Seems you'd be cold. We had a larger shower and just added a shower stool for him to sit on and handles to hold onto. It was easy for me to hop in with him and shower him.
Agree..seems to me you would get chilled waiting for water to drain.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:53 PM

I checked into it after my 3rd back surgery but they were soooo expensive. If you need one it's awesome that your getting them. I think they're great!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:40 PM

My neighbor ordered one on-line and my husband installed it for her. She loves it for the jets. It maintains the temp of the water for her to soak as long as she wants to. I tried it - and liked that part of it but didn't like the drain time. So mixed reviews here.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:40 AM

My mother dated a guy for about 15 years, when he turned very ill, she moved him into her house and we redid the bathroom for him. We made a wheel chair ready shower for him. We could wheel the chair right in, transfer him from the wheel chair to a chair inside, it had two shower heads, both could be hand held if needed. It was all tiled. My mother could stay right in the shower to help him and not have to actually take a shower. This was a much cheaper option then the one your talking about. We thought of the same thing..until all the water drains.. ur getting kinda cold..cold water..not being able to dry off while it drains also.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:56 AM

They are ok... keep a book by the tun so you can read or do something during the filling and draining time. All you can do is sit there and wait. In my opinion a walk in shower with a bench is a much better solution and not as expensive. I had to use one when visiting and thought at that point - this is not for me. It could very well be the solution for some folks tho. This is a big decision - to make - good luck!!