Walking Boot

Old 07-10-2014, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell View Post
Put flowers in them? Use them for the boots of a Frankenstein costume? Bejewel them and place them near a fireplace? Give them as a gift for someone turning 65?

We have a local church that has a "medical closet" It's actually a garage now. Everyone in the community is welcome to borrow what they need. They even have a hospital bed! Maybe there is something like this in your community?
What a great idea! A "medical closet".
Old 07-10-2014, 05:22 AM

Mine is on a closet shelf - just in case I ever need it again which I hope never happens!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:49 AM

I broke both my ankles and my foot at the same time. I had 2 boots that insurance paid for and they are expensive. When I was finally through with them I contacted the doctor that did my surgery, the physical rehab office that did my physical therapy, and the insurance company that paid for the boots to try and find something useful to do with them. None of them would have anything to do with my boots. I was told that the boots are classified the same way as prescriptions. They can only be used by the person the prescription was for because of medical legal issues If someone was "gifted" the used boot and had problems they would be able to sue the doctor, physical therapist, or insurance co. that gifted the boot, claiming that their problems were caused by the gifted boot. So, I ended up giving my boots to a local charity that sells used items, hoping someone would be able to take advantage of them. It's a shame, but that is the way it is. Wish I had thought of the senior center now.

Originally Posted by celwood View Post
Check with an orthopedic medical office. They treat a lot of local athletes that have injuries. Most of these athletes come from disadvantaged homes so the office always asks for donations of equipment no longer needed to help these kids out. Crutches are big on their list
Old 07-10-2014, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I still have my boot when I broke my little toe. My HMO provided it for me. I have loaned it out to two friends who have used it. If you will never use it again, most senior centers have donation sites for medial equipment.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:56 AM

I know my old wheel chair and walker came in handy through the years. Just in my family alone. Most medical devices are small or can be made small. And that makes them easy to store in case they are ever needed again.The price tag's on these things are not always affordable to some one we know-and Medicare/Medicaid will not cover them,and most insurance companies don't either. The stress of an injury is bad enough without adding excess worrying to it but trying to scrape the cash up to purchase these things.So I would hang on to your boots in case some one you know and love may need it.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Right now I'm confined to a wheel chair and aflat soled shoe. Broken 5th metatarsal. Will be hanging onto it. Bout time you throw it away, you'll needit or some omeelse maybe.
Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
Put in the attic. I had one for an injury, got rid of it. A year later I sprained my ankle really bad and wished I had my boot back.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:53 PM

I would personally hang on to it and store it somewhere, who knows when you might need one again. I bought a walker for $5.00 a few years back at an Estate sale, thank goodness I haven't had to use it yet, but I have loaned it out 3 times, to friends so they wouldn't have to buy one. I'm keeping it, because let's face it, I am getting older by the minute and may eventually need it. I hope not, but the time could come when DH or I do, and it doesn't take up a lot of space when folded up, and a boot would take up less space.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:25 AM

I gave mine away, then 2 years later had to rebuy another one, so don't be too quick to get rid of them, they cost more and more each year
Old 07-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

If you have room, save it
Old 07-12-2014, 08:37 AM

I agree with keeping it. I still have a set on crutches from when I severally twisted my ankle, though I will have to replace the pads if I need them again.

If you feel you don't have the room, then see if you can donate them to a medical or senior center.