Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Walking Boot

Walking Boot

This yr my husband and I both had to have a walking boot for our feet. Now after having to pay over one hundred dollars what do I do with them?

Put flowers in them? Use them for the boots of a Frankenstein costume? Bejewel them and place them near a fireplace? Give them as a gift for someone turning 65?

We have a local church that has a "medical closet" It's actually a garage now. Everyone in the community is welcome to borrow what they need. They even have a hospital bed! Maybe there is something like this in your community?
    Kookie (Patti)

Put in the attic. I had one for an injury, got rid of it. A year later I sprained my ankle really bad and wished I had my boot back.

I agree with misty's mom. As soon as you get rid of them, you'll need them.

I held on to mine and I was glad that I did! I needed it again sigh...
    I am too POSITIVE to be doubtful, too OPTIMISTIC to be fearful and way to DETERMINED to be defeated.

I'm keeping mine also. I hope it works as insurance that I won't need it again!

I had one for an ankle injury then gave it away when my ankle healed.(My insurance paid for it). I ended up breaking my other ankle a year later and my insurance refused to pay for another boot as I "already" had one that they had paid for! Hang on to it...you never know. You can also let your friends and relatives know that you have one if they need it.

Glad to hear you and DH are doing better and you gave the boots the boot!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I also vote for keeping it in case you need it later. There have been several medical things, like canes and walker, that I've needed later for a different injury.
    Lori

Check with an orthopedic medical office. They treat a lot of local athletes that have injuries. Most of these athletes come from disadvantaged homes so the office always asks for donations of equipment no longer needed to help these kids out. Crutches are big on their list
    Carmen E.

Our local senior center has a place for all kinds of medical stuff, wheel chairs, walkers, canes, hospital beds, etc. and would probably be delighted to get your boot if you really want to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooklabell View Post
    Put flowers in them? Use them for the boots of a Frankenstein costume? Bejewel them and place them near a fireplace? Give them as a gift for someone turning 65?

We have a local church that has a "medical closet" It's actually a garage now. Everyone in the community is welcome to borrow what they need. They even have a hospital bed! Maybe there is something like this in your community?
    What a great idea! A "medical closet".
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Mine is on a closet shelf - just in case I ever need it again which I hope never happens!

I broke both my ankles and my foot at the same time. I had 2 boots that insurance paid for and they are expensive. When I was finally through with them I contacted the doctor that did my surgery, the physical rehab office that did my physical therapy, and the insurance company that paid for the boots to try and find something useful to do with them. None of them would have anything to do with my boots. I was told that the boots are classified the same way as prescriptions. They can only be used by the person the prescription was for because of medical legal issues If someone was "gifted" the used boot and had problems they would be able to sue the doctor, physical therapist, or insurance co. that gifted the boot, claiming that their problems were caused by the gifted boot. So, I ended up giving my boots to a local charity that sells used items, hoping someone would be able to take advantage of them. It's a shame, but that is the way it is. Wish I had thought of the senior center now.

Quote Originally Posted by celwood View Post
    Check with an orthopedic medical office. They treat a lot of local athletes that have injuries. Most of these athletes come from disadvantaged homes so the office always asks for donations of equipment no longer needed to help these kids out. Crutches are big on their list

I still have my boot when I broke my little toe. My HMO provided it for me. I have loaned it out to two friends who have used it. If you will never use it again, most senior centers have donation sites for medial equipment.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I know my old wheel chair and walker came in handy through the years. Just in my family alone. Most medical devices are small or can be made small. And that makes them easy to store in case they are ever needed again.The price tag's on these things are not always affordable to some one we know-and Medicare/Medicaid will not cover them,and most insurance companies don't either. The stress of an injury is bad enough without adding excess worrying to it but trying to scrape the cash up to purchase these things.So I would hang on to your boots in case some one you know and love may need it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Right now I'm confined to a wheel chair and aflat soled shoe. Broken 5th metatarsal. Will be hanging onto it. Bout time you throw it away, you'll needit or some omeelse maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
    Put in the attic. I had one for an injury, got rid of it. A year later I sprained my ankle really bad and wished I had my boot back.

Blog Entries
    I would personally hang on to it and store it somewhere, who knows when you might need one again. I bought a walker for $5.00 a few years back at an Estate sale, thank goodness I haven't had to use it yet, but I have loaned it out 3 times, to friends so they wouldn't have to buy one. I'm keeping it, because let's face it, I am getting older by the minute and may eventually need it. I hope not, but the time could come when DH or I do, and it doesn't take up a lot of space when folded up, and a boot would take up less space.

I gave mine away, then 2 years later had to rebuy another one, so don't be too quick to get rid of them, they cost more and more each year

If you have room, save it

I agree with keeping it. I still have a set on crutches from when I severally twisted my ankle, though I will have to replace the pads if I need them again.

If you feel you don't have the room, then see if you can donate them to a medical or senior center.

A little mis-step on the stairs (I didn't even fall down) and I broke a bone in my foot and my boot (AirCast) cost me $273 out of my own pocket because my deductibles are so high (not my choice) . I'm hanging onto it. The cost of medical stuff is unbelievable. And I work for an insurance company! (commercial business though) and our coverage has gone up double digits every year.....I'm grateful to have insurance but I almost can't afford to actually use it !! KEEP IT