Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Want Ideas on getting a pet for a disabled Parent >

Want Ideas on getting a pet for a disabled Parent

Want Ideas on getting a pet for a disabled Parent

Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 PM

If you get your dad a cat get something for the cat to do that your dad can watch. I suggest putting bird feeders outside a window so that the cat can watch the birds and your dad can watch the cat.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:33 PM

My suggestion would be to call your local vet or Humane Society & see what they suggest (or look online at the various vet/pet sites that give advice). I know my dad benefited greatly with his dog after my Mother passed away. It gave him something to think about besides being lonely.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Does your Dad have any allergies to cats?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:40 AM

I would definitely get an older cat. My older cat died last fall and I got a new male cat that was very loving. But he is extremely frisky and at times will get into a 'mood'. He scratched me 4 times last week, I have not and will not declaw him. He doesn't sit on my lap and rest like the older cat did, he is totally different. An older cat is just that: older and less likely to drive your dad nuts.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 AM

While getting him a cat sounds like a very kind gesture, I would first make sure that he really would like to have one. His feelings may have changed or he may not want or feel able to have the daily responsibility of a pet. If he expresses the desire to have a cat then you will make him happy by getting him one.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:31 AM
Power Poster

You would love our "Tigre" he is the consummate couch potato...he weighs 8 kilos and is the most placid blob on the planet..(he is a long-haired tabby cat). Our Miss Alice on the other hand is a total monster....small, lethal and very, very lively.(Scottish Shorthair)...we love both of them to bits. Be sure and check temperament before making a commitment.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:38 AM

I asked my dad about a cat and he said no he no longer wants one. So will wait a while to see if he changes his mind.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by glorcour View Post
A pretty bird (parakeet or budgie) would sing and give lots of company and they are fairly low maintenance. Some bird seed, some water and acage and you are good to go.
Don't forget daily cage cleaning. I bird sat a parakeet for 6 week. What a pain in the arse! Never would I have a bird! My elderly mom had a bird and she loved it at first but eventually she grew weary of the care of a bird. Fortunately life intervened and the bird passed away. Problem solved. Birds have a long lifespan by the way.

Never would I give a pet to anyone without their full input. Someone has to take responsibility of that pet ESP if the recipient starts to fail in their health.
Sandy