Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Want Ideas on getting a pet for a disabled Parent >

Want Ideas on getting a pet for a disabled Parent

Want Ideas on getting a pet for a disabled Parent

Old 04-19-2012, 06:10 AM

How is your Dad disabled? Does he use a walker? Young kittys have a tendency to wind around your legs. Maybe an older cat that wil just like to sit and be pette and just keep him company. Will the cat be an inside/outside cat. Maybe a kitty door in place of a litter box. Can your Dad open a can of food or would a box of dry food be easier? Some things to consider. It would be nice if he can do something for the pet. Maybe an older cat that still likes to play with toys ( so your Dad can watch and enjoy) but one that will sit and listen to stories of days gone by.
Wish you luck in finding the right pet. Please keep us posted.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
My Mom Passed away suddenly a week ago and I know my Dad would do well with a cat, he is disabled she was his care giver, do you think it is a good idea to surprise him with one? He had mentioned in the past he would like one but Mom had her hands full taking care of him and said no. I am willing to do the litter box and feeding. Your opinions please.
My BEST pets (both cat & dog), have been PRE-OWNED. I have found that these are the animals that NEED the most, but also GIVE the most. I've also found that for the MOST of the MOST in cats a fixed male is by far the MOST loving ALL of the time. Every cat that I have had was great, but the fixed males are just mush in you arms. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:43 AM

My dad is wheelchair bound he can not walk so I want to find an older cat for him but first I will give him some time to adjust to all these new changes then I will ask him.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:26 AM
nms

Pets add sooo much to our lives! I agree an older kitty would like a furever home. Are you sure Dad still would like a furry companion? I would make sure some how. Personally I think it's a great idea ! Good luck!! Post a pic of Dad when he receives his surprise........ :0)
Old 04-19-2012, 07:27 AM

Sorry for your loss!!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:59 AM

Better find out if he wants a cat pet now as people change their minds and may no longer want to take care of a pet.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:45 AM

get a run of the mill ordinary, but pretty cat. The more mutt mixed the easier the temperment. I'd look for a cat that was in a home and house broken. Likely someone has a cat the needs a home with someone who has time to be a companion.
Talk with your Dad and find out what he is looking for in a cat. Try to get one like he would want. Orange tiger, long hair , short hair, tuxedo etc.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:52 AM

I was just looking at the humane society website and they have several older cats that ate declawed and spayed or neutered I am going to talk to him about this in the next few days.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:16 PM

the Humaane socity is a great idea. Make sure that the cat has been declaued. This will be better.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by mumzer View Post
How is your Dad disabled? Does he use a walker? Young kittys have a tendency to wind around your legs. Maybe an older cat that wil just like to sit and be pette and just keep him company. Will the cat be an inside/outside cat. Maybe a kitty door in place of a litter box. Can your Dad open a can of food or would a box of dry food be easier? Some things to consider. It would be nice if he can do something for the pet. Maybe an older cat that still likes to play with toys ( so your Dad can watch and enjoy) but one that will sit and listen to stories of days gone by.
Wish you luck in finding the right pet. Please keep us posted.
What I would do is purchase the automatic food and water dispenser. Simply fill the dispenser with dry cat food on one side and water on the other side. It will then refill the bowls itself and they only have to be refilled every few days to a week depending on the size you buy and the amount the cat consumes. It has also been my experience that it's less pleasant to clean the litter box of a cat that eats canned food. I've given my cats canned in the past, and trust me, nothing but dry stuff now.