Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Warning Tip for Dangerous Websites!!!!!!!! >

Warning Tip for Dangerous Websites!!!!!!!!

Warning Tip for Dangerous Websites!!!!!!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Linda B
It's enough to make you afraid to click on any link. This virus happened to me back in March and DH ended up, months later and many fix attempts later, having to completely wipe my hard drive clean -- down to nothing. Then spent days reloading everything. It was a nightmare, but so far so good on the 'new' computer.
Ditto.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the warning.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:44 AM

It is not only in links for quilting, I was searching for "tatting" patterns and got the same thing.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

I think you can get it from anywhere on the internet...its not just sites geared to "us little women". Anyway...I am dealing with something I picked up from opening email stuff...you know the kind you think are funny, so you send it to everyone on your list.? Well...someone was "kind" enough (unknowingly) to send me something that has virtually shut down my computer. I will have to run the recovery discs and hope that that works. Otherwise, I now have an expensive paperweight.

But..the point is that during all my research on how to fix it...I found that there is a very good security program (better than the commercial ones-like McAfee-which drains resources from your computer) and best of all- its FREE! Its called Avast and you can download it from cnet.com.

Also..one of the problems that is slowing down everyone's computers is that we are so scared of these sites, that we load our computers with lots of security..we load a malware program, a registry cleaner, a security program with firewalls, etc. The truth is that is you are running Windows XP, or Windows 7...they have firewalls and security built into the programs. So you might want to check to see how much redundancy you have on your system if it is running really slow.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
But..the point is that during all my research on how to fix it...I found that there is a very good security program (better than the commercial ones-like McAfee-which drains resources from your computer) and best of all- its FREE! Its called Avast and you can download it from cnet.com.
I use Avast and it is great. I never have had a problem until I got the one connected to the quilt site I searched awhile back. Now I have malwarebytes and I think I'm going to be ok now. The two together should take care of everything.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:49 AM

I think these sites hit on any keywords no matter what they are. I've seen them with any searches I've done, whether it's quilting or whatever.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the info. I will keep and eye out for them.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:42 PM

Thanks for the warning. I appreciate it.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 PM

I have Avast also. It came up with a warning when I struck one of the problem sites, and promptly isolated the risk until I could delete it.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:24 PM

This is happening a lot lately and Google is not aware of all of them. The one I clicked on did not have a warning that it could harm my computer. I got the fake Security Advisor screen and luckily I got out of everything without getting the virus it wanted to download.

the address of that particular site is hastenhouse.com

others that may be like it (they come up in Google searches for quilt patterns also) will be some name plus hotel.com, example whitedreamhotel.com

Please warn others to only open links to shops or manufacturers you are familiar with. Hopefully Google will fix this soon. I sent them an email about it.