Washington D.C. WOW!

Old 06-14-2011, 04:43 AM

we live about 1 1/2 hours aways and get there a couple times a year. we made the cherry blossoms 2 years in a row. its always fun.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:44 AM

Glad you enjoyed yourself in DC. I live about 40 minutes from DC (and have my entire life) but rarely go. I haven't been there in probably 25-30 years. Need to make the trip..
Old 06-14-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Opal Jane
Glad you enjoyed yourself in DC. I live about 40 minutes from DC (and have my entire life) but rarely go. I haven't been there in probably 25-30 years. Need to make the trip..
When it's local it's not that interesting. I know when we first moved here we jumped on the metro and visited DC just about everyother week because there was so much to do.

Now after 15 years, when people come to visit and want to visit the capital, I pull out the front pages on the phone book that has the map, metro stops and things to do and tell them where to go and drop them off at the metro. "Give me a call when you're done, I'll pick you up" I'll go with them once to help them get used to the metro.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
Originally Posted by Opal Jane
When it's local it's not that interesting. I know when we first moved here we jumped on the metro and visited DC just about everyother week because there was so much to do.

Now after 15 years, when people come to visit and want to visit the capital, I pull out the front pages on the phone book that has the map, metro stops and things to do and tell them where to go and drop them off at the metro. "Give me a call when you're done, I'll pick you up" I'll go with them once to help them get used to the metro.
My Gma lives in DC and she does the same. She didn't trust us to use our car, she's old school. Raised in Springfield, Va and totally dreaded going when I was younger, but now that I'm older and have a son I couldn't wait to share the experience my parents did for me. We had a wonderful trip and it rained on us for most of our 7 days there and we saw it all, except for the tour of the White House. But now I know to prepare 6 months early.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Power Poster

I really enjoyed it also. I want to take the children soon
Old 06-15-2011, 05:02 AM

My DH and my best friend's DH gave us girl's trip to DC for christmas last year - we went during the cherry blossom festival. Made we wish I would have appreciated american history more in school! The monuments brought me to tears many times - very impressive. Now I'm getting my DH to go with me again next year - everyone should go one time. I felt very safe there the whole time and the weather was wonderful.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:26 AM

We took my kids to DC last year was it? I think maybe the year before - And they had a blast. They both have been asking to go back. We'll probably go over spring break next year or right after school lets out the beginning of June. I agree though - it can get hot there fast!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:31 AM

I have been about 8 times and still haven't seen it all.
My favorite trip was to the National Zoo...the kids loved it. I still have to visit the Vietnam Wall and the Smithsonians....that will be a long trip.

Glad you had a great time and hope you visit again.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:13 AM

I absolutely love D.C. I never thought I'd find riding around the Metro fun, but it really is. You never have to wait long for a ride and you can walk to so many places, it's really cool. Been there twice. Can't wait to go back.