Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Water, Water, Water everywhere >

Water, Water, Water everywhere

Water, Water, Water everywhere

Old 03-15-2011, 07:55 AM

Hi Deb, I'm so very sorry you have to go through this, We have so many rivers and lakes here in Minnesota that they are predicting record high flooding, (seems like the whole world is having terrible troubles. I live very high up on a hill on the lake so I am happy about that at least. I sure hope you can get this all taken care of and get back to what you really love to do. Glad you can go on a fabric shopping day when all is said and done.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:06 AM

OMG....get with your insurance company. I remember opening my basement door, years ago, only to find the water was on the top step! Just a few more inches and the main floor would have flooded. Stay cool......IT"S ONLY TEMPORARY!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:31 AM

UUGG awful, been there. (don't buy a house where the washing machine is up on a box...how do I know??).

Even if it's infrequent, it's such a mess, maybe a sump pump or French drain is the inside trench, I think. And redoing the grading can also help, but right now, it's going to be all you can do to get it dry. Lots of dry thoughts headed your way!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:52 AM

So Sorry hang in there
Old 03-15-2011, 10:56 AM

Sounds like you live in our neighborhood. There are underground springs that become a problem with snow melt and rain at the same time. We removed the carpet from my craft room and use throw rugs so we can see the water coming up through the seams of the concrete and take care of it before it gets overwhelming. Hooray for shop vacs! DH has become a real water removal superhero.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:12 AM

omg that is terrible, hope you have someone to help you clean, that is why I dont like basements, I rather have attics. will be praying for you
Old 03-15-2011, 11:18 AM

Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement. No more water this morning, so I came to work to earn $$ for my fabric spending spree. It isn't a broken water pipe, and thankfully not a broken or backed up sewer pipe. It is definitely from the amount of snow and rain.....yes, I am looking into the hydralic cement and an indoor trench system......just as soon as it is dried up so the work can begin. I like the basement because it is away from the rest of the house, my little (soggy) get away place.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:48 PM

I am so sorry. I know how you feel. In the morning of February 28 Th we had 5 inches of water in my finished basement. It came so fast into my sewing room that could not get everything up. But thank God i have everything in plastic containers. Finally today they installed the carpet again and now begins the hard work and put everything in its place. My son came to help pump the water out and his comment was " Mom you have to down size on your quilting stuff". Yeah right!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
This is only the second time it has happened in 14 years. We just had so much snow and a sudden warm surge. I am knowingly going to have to invest $$$ and get this fixed. There is an internal drain system that goes around the walls inside rather than the trench system outside, my friend in Michigan has had one put in. I will get through it, I am just so thankful that it is only water that can be cleaned up....so many others have flooding that takes everything. Thanks for the hugs and prayers.....I appreciate them!!
So sorry you're going through all this. Every time it happens, it's lots of tears, backbreaking work and we've lost all the carpet and some furniture and miscellaneous belongings. We do this every spring when the big thaw comes and occasionally at other times when the ground is saturated. We just signed a contract to have the internal drain system put in our basement. They're coming the 31st of March to do the work. Supposed to have it done in 1 - 1 1/2 days. We're really hoping this is the solution. Sending HUGS your way!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:19 PM

So sorry you have to go through this, I was in the middle of packing up the house week and broke my little toe. Not a fun thing to do. Hope things get better!