We did it!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
For the first time in almost 29 years, it is just DH and I at the supper table some nights and it is strange. DD our fourth and last is just waiting to write her final nursing exams and then will be officially job hunting. She'll probably be moving out or at least working most of the time. DD#1 got me a "furry child" as pictured in my avatar. This will also be the first September that I have no one to send to school and I don't have to go either as I have retired. Now that's definately weird!
You will miss not going for a while. After 13 years, I still miss going shopping for school supplies and new items to decorate my classroom. This is the first year I haven't bought any new tablets or composition books. :lol: But -- your new life will be filled with other important things. You'll be volunteering, etc. and will be wondering when you will ever get to do the quilting you were so looking forward to doing. It's a wonderful life where you can always say no if you don't feel like doing it. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:43 AM

You'll miss your kids but you will enjoy being an empty nester. We became empty nesters about 4 years ago. I thought I would have a hard time when we dropped our daughter off a college. Boy did I surprise myself and my husband. I rather enjoy it. Just can't wait now until retirement (5 more years)so we can travel and go see the grandkids more often.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:14 AM

Empty nesters! I wish that was here!! 3 yrs ago DH and I tried and tried to convince DD to go away to college....no go. On her last year and refuses to leave us. (but what if something happens to me?)She says. I say I can get there in 2 shakes by plane. She's a huge worrier!

Now it's time to get applications out to colleges for my son.He's in his senior yr of HS. And wouldn't you know it HE DOESN'T WANT TO GO AWAY EITHER!!!

DH and I are firm believers that kids need to grow up away from their families too. We have taught and prepared our kids to be self reliant and independant. We love our kids dearly but what are we to do!

I think you all have done a great job preparing and sending them off. Any suggestions for me?

Thanks, Sue (my kids in avatar)