Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
We have to keep our land line - >

We have to keep our land line -

Old 07-20-2011, 03:46 PM

I do have a cell phone, but I don't even know the number. It doesn't take pictures, it doesn't have internet, doesn't text or do anything but act like a telephone. I keep it in my purse and use it only for emergencies when I'm away from home. Fortunately I hardly ever use it. I have the number taped to the bottom of the phone. No one else knows the number so I don't have to ever be bothered with incoming calls. It costs literally a couple of dollars a month. I absolutely refuse to talk on the phone when I'm driving. I love my land line and would never even think of getting rid of it and don't feel the least bit inconvenienced. AND it always works if the electricity goes out. I have a bundled service with phone, cable and internet and am really satisfied with it.

What scares me is all the new electronic technology out there, none of which I understand, none of which I use, none of which I seem to need, and I'm just fine with that.

Guess I'm just too old to change now.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Jim

no landline here since we built the house 6 yrs ago...but we have home phone thru Vonage(thru the computer)....she calls her cell to find it lots of days
Old 07-20-2011, 09:52 PM

Yes, I have to do that on occasional basis, too! I had been thinking about giving up that land line, but maybe I shouldn't... Hmmmmm... (The neighbors aren't home enough during the day...)
Old 07-20-2011, 10:21 PM

We have too many mountains & dead zones here for cell phones. Heck my neighbor couldn't even get a signal inside his house with his cell phone.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by amma
LMBO I go to my computer and send myself a text message :wink: :D:D:D
THANK YOU! I had not thought of that. We don't have a landline and I panic not knowing how to find my phone in a hurry.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Carron
We do have a land line (no cell, yes that is true) but at least with the LL I always know where the phone is.LOL
LOL not here. I have a wireless phone and my BF never puts the phone back where it belongs!
Old 07-21-2011, 03:55 AM

So true and so funny....thats life
Old 07-21-2011, 04:08 AM

Even worse, when you spend the better part of three days trying to figure out what your new refrigerator is telling you and why. You keep hearing "da da da", three musical tones. My fridge and my micrro were the only things I knew that communicated with me with music. So, out came the manual, I checked the doors, many times, closed properly, checked the temps of each compartment, all in good range, checked water supply, fine. Had just replaced water filter, can't be that. On the thid day of this, I was walking away from the fridge, going past the stepp stool that has my purse sitting on it, and "da-da-da" again, it has been getting more frequent as the days go by. Lightening bolt, it is NOT coming from fridge, it is from my purse. Poor cell phone had been languishing in the purse and dying of dehydaration for three days. Thank the Good Lord that I realized in time as I was on my way to the land-line phone to call Lowe's for a service call to figure out what is wrong with my refrigerator.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

So I can find my cell phone.

Anyone else?
Seriously folks still have land lines in today's technoloigal age. LOL

We haven't had a land line for years. We never used it so we got rid of it. I haven't been inside a phone company that does land lines in years and couldn't tell you where it is today if one exists.

Now I know where cell phone companies are at and it seems on every corner in this town.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:15 AM

LOL -- I've been in that situation. We keep a land line because in hurricanes, cell towers can be damaged easily.