Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
We Swore We Wouldn't Get Another Dog... >

We Swore We Wouldn't Get Another Dog...

We Swore We Wouldn't Get Another Dog...

Old 01-05-2012, 05:58 AM

Puppy Update: I think that being such a small dog, (she's not expected to grow much more), she must have been a bit trampled upon at the other house by the bigger dogs. She's a bit skiddish still, especially around myself and DH or any other adult who comes over. But, she's great with the kids so I'm thinking she must have been disciplined by adults at her previous home. I'd hate to think worse. But, each evening when the kids go to bed, she jumps on my lap and stays there until I go to bed. This of course upsets my 15 year old cat, lol, but one evening, out of desperation I think, she jumped up here alongside of the pup and they both slept fine.

The pup still has a few accidents, here and there, but my DD has been really good about cleaning them up right away and without complaint. They get along great and when DD goes up stairs for anything, either Bitsy is following her or she sits at the base of the stairs and softly whines. She seemed to know instantly who she belonged to. During school hours, when she's crated she still whines a bit, not too much, but at night when she's crated she doesn't whine at all. I think she only whines during school because she can hear us talking and moving about and wants to join in.

She's still learning her place in the family and which boundaries not to cross. The first day she was here, she wanted to play with our 15 year old cat (another rescue pet--when her owner died, her owner's DH had to move to a special home for the blind and couldn't keep her. If he didn't find a home, she and her brother was going to have to be put down. DH brought them home to me since I was having major surgery at the same time and a lap kitty was very comforting...and she looked just like a beloved cat I had growing up and in the beginning of our relationship. Her brother ran away shortly after they came here but Judy has been such a blessing.) Anyways, after trying to play with Judy, the cat asserted her authority with her declawed paws and she hasn't bothered the cat since. On the other hand, she continues to try to play with my youngest DD's 7 month old kitten, which is the size of an adult cat. Because the kitten is only 7, he's not declawed yet and has swiped the pup's nose a few times. Bitsy runs off yelping but returns shortly afterward for fun times. The cat responds with going to seek refuge in DD's bed and napping there until bed time. Bitsy however, follows him and tries to sleep under the bed. Maybe he senses that they're so similar in age?

We were told that Bitsy is a chewer but we have yet to see that. The only time she's come close was when she was chasing the kitten's laser pointer and instead of trying to catch that elusive red dot with her paws she inched along trying to catch it with her teeth, lol.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:37 AM

what a cutie and Bless You for taking her.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:52 PM

How very cute.