Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: We Swore We Wouldn't Get Another Dog...

  1. #1
    Super Member Ps 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,409

    We Swore We Wouldn't Get Another Dog...

    ...until we stopped homeschooling and I had less on my plate--since I'm ALWAYS the one who gets stuck with the pet care, regardless of who the pet belongs to. It's a little difficult to give a dog enough attention and care when you're homeschooling, cooking, cleaning, doing lesson plans and of course, quilting/sewing/crafting. And, our last dog bit our youngest daughter in the hand--the daughter who has a medical condition that has serious consequences for hand injuries. Finding a new home for that dog broke my oldest DD's heart since it was her dog, but she knew it was for the best. All this made me very leery about getting another one. Then my wonderful brother (said with dripping sarcasm) told my DD about a friend who had inherited his mother's dogs and since there was 8 of them in their house now, they would have to put some of them down if they couldn't find homes. I'm a sucker for rescue pets. I just can't bear to put down a pet for such a poor reason.

    That's how Bitsy came into our lives. All the pets we have ever had have been rescued pets, except for two. We initially said no, but our oldest, age 9, came to us with a plan to take full responsibility. She assure us that she would bathe the tiny dog, clean up any messes, walk her and feed/water her. When she found out what was going to happen to this pup (only 6 months old!), her heart began to break all over again. We couldn't stand that so now we are dog owners again. So far, so good. She definitely a lap dog and sleeps most of the day. My only complaints are that we were told she was house broken, which she's not, and she whines when we have to ignore her to do school.

    The picture of her with my oldest DD was when she first came to us a few days ago and she was very nervous. The other picture is of her, in her glory, owning the couch beside DH.
    Attached Images Attached Images

    Last edited by Ps 150; 01-02-2012 at 07:23 PM.
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove."

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Fl
    Posts
    2,573
    Aw she's so cute and probably scared to death being the only dog after being used to 7 others around. Maybe she's just nervous and that's why she seems not housetrained. Probably when she gets used to you all she'll be fine. Maybe if you give her a soft toy when you can't be with her it'll help. Good luck. bless you for taking her in. Sue

  3. #3
    Super Member Jill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,075
    Oh, what a precious puppy! I've had a dog all my life, but I swear the current one--a yellow lab--is the last. The one before was a sheltie and I was also told he was housebroken. He might have been in their house, but I had to train him all over again. It was well worth the effort though. Good luck with your new doggie.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    We have 4 of them and the last one was a rescue from our shelter 2 days before they euthanized the entire population.

    I am so happy that she has a forever home now, your daughter and her make a cute couple!!! I can tell she will be VERY spoiled like ours are. Good luck and happy new years!!


    Billy

  5. #5
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,916
    Blog Entries
    1
    She is adorable (and so is the little girl!) I am sure Bitsy will become more comfortable in her new surroundings and not whine when she is ignored. She is used to having many playmates! We rescued a 4 yo shepherd in September and he is awful when we don't give him our full attention! But, he is getting better. Give the sweet baby some time and I am sure she will settle right in!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

  6. #6
    Super Member Teddybear Lady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    3,266
    How could anyone say no to that face! haha Reminds me of a dog my husband and I got after we were first married. His name was Sam and someone stole him from my inlaws house.

  7. #7
    Super Member raedar63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,045
    Aww what a sweet pup, and that smile is worth a million words on your daughters face. I have a bulldog that can be a pure brat when he wants attention and that can be most of the time lol . I would suggest crate training to help with housebreaking and to limit distractions during school time.

  8. #8
    Senior Member auniqueview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ft. Myers, Fl
    Posts
    584
    What a sweet face. How could you have possibly say no to that, lol? You are so had, lol. Good luck reminding the pup that it is housebroken. Remember you have to watch for signs. I have one that will still potty in the house if we don't pay attention to her signals. Our fault. But the love they give us in return.....worth it.
    If laughter is the best medicine, I prescribe a Dachshund or four.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ShabbyTabby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    946
    I have a little chihuahua who thinks she is an 85# rotweiller !! I got her when she was 5 weeks old (she's now 5 yrs) and she is like a shadow. No matter where I am in the house or what I am doing she has to be right there. We have spanish tile floors in all but the bedrooms in our house and she refuses to set her little bottom on the cold floor, so have dogs beds in the Kitchen, hallway, living room and under my sewing table in the dining room. We get so attached to them that they are just part of the family. Your sweet little one is so adorable and the look on that child's face is priceless....
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Marni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Duck Lake SK Canada
    Posts
    538
    Blog Entries
    2
    So cute-how could you resist? LOL
    It's not a stash-it's a fabric library!
    http://www.mamisquilts.com/

  11. #11
    Senior Member lenette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    504
    She is an adorable dog! Hopefully, she will remember her training soon. She's still very young.
    Lenette

  12. #12
    Super Member Ps 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
    Aww what a sweet pup, and that smile is worth a million words on your daughters face. I have a bulldog that can be a pure brat when he wants attention and that can be most of the time lol . I would suggest crate training to help with housebreaking and to limit distractions during school time.
    The crate training is why she's whining! :LOL: I know it must be hard on her to be all alone after having so many playmates but I can't let her run loose while she's not yet housebroken. So, she's in her crate and she'll just have to learn that school hours are nap time for her. There's 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon so I know she can hold it. I think she's just lonely because she's more than happy when my DD is right beside her crate.
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove."

  13. #13
    Super Member Peckish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    6,109
    Blog Entries
    1
    What a cute pup. What breed is she? She reminds me of Erin Russek's dog, Rio. Check out this pic - makes me wish I could feel the soft fur!

    http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-pi...g-is-that.html

  14. #14
    Senior Member lonestardreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    404
    They are both adorable.

    There was no way to resist that story was there? I'm betting things work out great. They both look very happy.

  15. #15
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,674
    Blog Entries
    2
    OH she has the most soulful eyes!! so cute.

  16. #16
    Senior Member TnBecky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Johnson City, TN.
    Posts
    930
    Your daughter looks soooooooooo happy with her new best friend. She is such a pretty dog. I am so glad that you gave her a second chance at life. God bless you all.

  17. #17
    Super Member Ps 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    What a cute pup. What breed is she? She reminds me of Erin Russek's dog, Rio. Check out this pic - makes me wish I could feel the soft fur!

    http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-pi...g-is-that.html
    Her mother is a cockapoo with papers and her father was a dotson (weiner dog). Thankfully, though, she looks nothing like her pop, lol! Her hair resembles a wire hair terrier but it's so soft to the touch.
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove."

  18. #18
    Super Member Kathy T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tampa, FL USA
    Posts
    2,946
    Thank you for taking in this precious pup. Your daughter is adorable and will hold up her end of the bargain - she looks so happy and she'll remember this forever.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Kim Bohannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    878
    Blog Entries
    1
    cute pooch! glad you rescued her and hope the housetraining comes along quickly
    I quilt for my sanity!

  20. #20
    Super Member suebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,080
    She is adorable!! what a face!! I swear by Kennel training. Maybe get a kennel she could go into when you are doing your lessons. Everyone in the family has to be very consistant with comands. She probably is nervouse and once she get used to you all, she will be fine. Our dogs loved their kennels when they were puppies, all we would have to say is "kennel up"" and they would go right in there (with a treat of course for reassurance they are a good dog for obeying) good luck!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps 150 View Post
    ...until we stopped homeschooling and I had less on my plate--since I'm ALWAYS the one who gets stuck with the pet care, regardless of who the pet belongs to. It's a little difficult to give a dog enough attention and care when you're homeschooling, cooking, cleaning, doing lesson plans and of course, quilting/sewing/crafting. And, our last dog bit our youngest daughter in the hand--the daughter who has a medical condition that has serious consequences for hand injuries. Finding a new home for that dog broke my oldest DD's heart since it was her dog, but she knew it was for the best. All this made me very leery about getting another one. Then my wonderful brother (said with dripping sarcasm) told my DD about a friend who had inherited his mother's dogs and since there was 8 of them in their house now, they would have to put some of them down if they couldn't find homes. I'm a sucker for rescue pets. I just can't bear to put down a pet for such a poor reason.

    That's how Bitsy came into our lives. All the pets we have ever had have been rescued pets, except for two. We initially said no, but our oldest, age 9, came to us with a plan to take full responsibility. She assure us that she would bathe the tiny dog, clean up any messes, walk her and feed/water her. When she found out what was going to happen to this pup (only 6 months old!), her heart began to break all over again. We couldn't stand that so now we are dog owners again. So far, so good. She definitely a lap dog and sleeps most of the day. My only complaints are that we were told she was house broken, which she's not, and she whines when we have to ignore her to do school.

    The picture of her with my oldest DD was when she first came to us a few days ago and she was very nervous. The other picture is of her, in her glory, owning the couch beside DH.
    SUEB

  21. #21
    Super Member Ps 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by suebee View Post
    She is adorable!! what a face!! I swear by Kennel training. Maybe get a kennel she could go into when you are doing your lessons. Everyone in the family has to be very consistant with comands. She probably is nervouse and once she get used to you all, she will be fine. Our dogs loved their kennels when they were puppies, all we would have to say is "kennel up"" and they would go right in there (with a treat of course for reassurance they are a good dog for obeying) good luck!!
    Thanks! We also swear by kennel training. All of our dogs have been kennel trained since we normally get big dogs. And big dogs tend to chew so we crate them at night. We also find kennel training helps with the housebreaking process. She's not used to one so she whines all morning before recess. In the afternoon she seems to nap so that's good. It's heartbreaking but I think it will be better in the long run if she gets into our schedule quickly. In nicer weather she'll be able to stay outside in a pen during school but I doubt even that will help. She whines even at night, before we go to bed when she's still running around but DD is in bed. She just keeps staring at DD's door and whining, lol. Fast friends!
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove."

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    8,568
    Blog Entries
    14
    So beautiful. Give him a stuffed animal to snuggle. If he's still skittish when full grown consider a thundershirt. Mine is skittish and it helps

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    central indiana
    Posts
    691
    There have been articles about the benefits of dogs at school. Teaching a dog is a good skill, supports responsibility, helps with empathy, teaches all kinds of lessons.

    Plus he is as cute as a dog can be. Good for you.

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Traverse City, MI
    Posts
    62
    NEVER, NEVER,NEVER were we getting another dog after my Daisy passed almost 2 years ago...until Guinness was dropped off!!! LOL....Moira (7 year old lab) and Jagermeister (8 yr old pit bull) were gracious enough to share their home with the new little baby...but we have to kennel Guin during the day....she was chewing and eating EVERYTHING!! I say "go to work" and she runs right in and sits....She used to hang out under the kitchen table but now she has found a new "den". Kenneling is NOT a bad thing! Good luck on your new family member....

  25. #25
    Super Member Caswews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Posts
    5,313
    I have one word for you -SUCKER !! LOL don't feel bad I am there too !! My kids call me sucker all the time when it comes to animals. LOL They give you unconditional love, and ask for little in return: fed, walked and attention! But yet so many are put down each year or even worse. So I think your puppy really did get the better end of it all by the grin on your daughter's face!! A loving family, a warm house and someone to take care of it and a very precious person who will love it also !
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.