Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
We Swore We Wouldn't Get Another Dog... >

We Swore We Wouldn't Get Another Dog...

We Swore We Wouldn't Get Another Dog...

Old 01-04-2012, 09:10 AM

I have one rescue puppy too. She is the black and silver one in my profile.
They said she was house broken too. But a new place, other dogs, and we started over.

I took her out every hour, I went with her, commands were, "go potty now". then " good girl'. When she came in she got to play for about 30 minutes and then she was kenneled for maybe another 30 minutes. Then i repeated this. After a few weeks of being in the kennel, i started with a leash in my belt loop for the same amount of time.

This routine got to be such a habit for the both of us. When se became a year old i noticed I was still taking her out repeating the commands. I decided she was the one that needed to out not me.... but the habit was established. Now I send her out with the other dogs.....whew.

Looking at the look on your daughters face, mom, you have done a good thing. I am sure it will not be without trials. Kids learn a lot by taking care of an animal.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:59 AM

Awww how adorable. Both the dog and your daughter. Pets are so much comfort and joy.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Unbelievable how many true dog softies there are in the world! Both girls are adorable!!!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:45 PM

I don't believe it! Bitsy looks like our Teddy Bear....but he is almost all black. Lab/Schnauzer cross is my guess. They give so much unconditional love. Once a dog person...always a dog person. I can't imagine not having a dog or a few cats. Like chocolate....hard to resist or say no to. May you and your new luv have a long and happy life together. Ours was a rescue from a kill shelter in KY. Came north with 9 Jack Russell's and 1 Boston terrier. We rescued him in more way than one. They were the yappiest dogs I ever heard.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

What a precious baby. Your daughter looks like she is in her glory. Nothing like a pet to put a smile on the face of a child....Even most adults can't resist. They will be life long buddies.....God Bless You for opening your heart and your home to that baby.....
Old 01-04-2012, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by roadrunr View Post
Aw such a sweet puppy! The puppy is probably house trained, but you have to remember, she's in a new place now and has to get used to so many new things, she might be scared. Give her some time and she'll be back to normal. Rember, it does take time for such little things to get used to a new envirnment. Bless your heart for taking the puppy in when the present owners didn't want her. I can't imagine that they said the puppy would be put down if they couldn't find a home for it.
I know! I couldn't believe my ears when my brother said this guy was going to put the dogs down. They had 3 dogs to start with and then when his mother had to move in with her daughter, he got saddled with her 5 dogs and 3 strays showed up at the same time. I understand that's a lot of dogs but there has to be a better alternative than putting the extras down. He's going to keep 2 of his mother's dogs since she'll be spending each summer in his home. To my knowledge he hasn't advertised around town but perhaps he's going on word of mouth. When he called me about the dog (my beloved brother gave him my number), his first words were, "So, I hear you want to save a dog's life." That pretty much cinched it. I couldn't see this little, terrified cutie being put down after that.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 PM

Both of them look so sweet, I imagine they will be best friends before long.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:21 PM

She's a cute dog! Your daughter is cute, too! I'm sure she will adjust and be okay with the housetraining. You might have to do some work with her but dogs are pretty good once trained. I'm sure she's just very nervous right now.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:33 PM

Bless your heart, I bet in no time she will be so adjusted to the family that she will just be perfect. Keep us posted as to her progress. Happy quilting and happy new dog.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:55 PM

You are such a kind hearted person! I have a rescue dog and she was 1 or 2 when we brought her home. Stevie only messed in my house twice, the second day she piddle and a couple of years later she was sick and had diarrhea. Can't blame her the second time. When my mom watch her for the first time when we went on vacation she piddle in every room. LOL. Thank goodness grandma was planning on buying new carpet, that saved butt.

When we were looking for a second dog, I was looking for a little older in age - 4 to 6 years old, closer to my black lab Beau age. At the humane society we saw her and asked if we could see her up close. They started asking all the usual questions, but we insisted to see her. I was sitting in a chair in a room when they brought her in. Once they took her off the leash, Stevie ran over to me. She jumped up in my lap with her front paws on my shoulders and layed her head down. Needless to say we brought her home 6 days later.

I truly believe that rescued pets know that they have been saved. Now Beau and Stevie are inseperatable. As I typed this message, the 4 of us are laying in bed, good thing it's a king size; although, I'm thinking of putting two full size mattresses together to make more room. I better start planning on that quilt to cover that size of beds.

Thanks for rescuing such a beautiful dog.