This Weather!!! :/

Old 01-21-2014, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

I don't envy you in CA at all. All the bad stuff you have we don't experience. Our hills around here are mostly made of great big rocks, no mud slides and no floods, as we live on a very high hill.
I like the winter cold, not really the cold from the polar vortex. We have four distinct, seasons.
No matter how bad things are, they can always be worse.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:59 AM

Right now, most of Canada is suffering under a wind chill warning. I live in the northern part of Ontario in Canada & our wind chills this week are going to range from -40 to -45 Celsius & trust me, that's freakin' cold. I have been watching the awful fires in California & Australia & we would gladly send you some of our huge amounts of snow & cooler temperatures but shipping & handling charges are too high. Besides that they probably would not let us through any border crossings !! Not making fun of your situation because I would not change places with you but would still love to have some warmth here & a lot less snow.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:12 AM

We, too, are desperately dry here in western Oklahoma... we will simply have to get used to paying more for our water. Always praying for rain....
Old 01-21-2014, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

It is really dry here. Temps in the 70's and 80's. Just does not seem like winter at all. Fire in our area. Really need rain!!!!!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:31 AM

Snow has just started & they are predicting up to 1 foot today with high winds & temperatures dropping to single digits. I've been in my current house for 30 yrs. & last monthis the 1st I had an electric bill over $300.00. As this week is a repeat of 2 weeks ago, it's another over $300.00 electric bill. I sure feel for the seniors on a fixed income. However, I think I have a greater fear of dought & fires than I do of the cold. I installed a propane insert in my fireplace for emergency backup & now I expect the price of propane to go through the roof with a shortage.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:35 AM

Be very happy to send you some snow...and cold weather, too. I'm done with winter. 7-9" of snow and 10F high today. I've had enough and can't handle the achey joints and muscles that go with this cold.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

Things are NOT done very smartly in California. I use to live by the Santa Ana river and I would watch tons of water go flowing down to the ocean. We rely on the winter snow in the Sierra and that has been depleted during this last decade. We and Las Vegas suck almost all of the water from the Colorado. A lot of our winter vegetables come from this arid area so they need the water to plant the crops.

For us who are Americans, don't forget the dust bowl in the early 20th century.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Not going to complain about the weather here. Some have already complained that it's too cold. Our high is suppose to get around high 65. I just pray that everyone gets through the rough weather. My kid and grands live in Indiana and Michigan and niece on the east coast. They're all getting hit and for those on the board who live in the areas. Just sending prayers and not complaining.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:05 AM

I'm north of San Francisco, and my husband was just commenting over the weekend that he can't remember ever barbecuing in January like he did this weekend. He's calling this "the year without a winter."

Not a good thing...
Old 01-21-2014, 08:20 AM

I live at the tip of the San Joaquin Valley in Northern CA. Downright scary. We are already conserving water. The farmers are really distressed and all of us are going to cry at the grocery stores, let alone seeing our yards dry up and die. I was here during the last bad drought in 1977 and it is not fun. I am already letting the yellow mellow...LOL! Afraid to take showers or wash dishes.....not sure how this is going to turn out....quite concerned. Our temp is suppose to be in the low 70's today and this is the end of January.....no rain for 45 days so far.......