Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up

Old 08-14-2010, 07:02 PM

108 at 6:15 when I left for my bike ride. It's suppose to be hotter tomorrow. I spent most of the day out in the pool with my husband and two grandsons.

I had an uneasy feeling all day. I decided I wasn't going to push it as hard as I had been. I was going to take the weekends easier. I only treaded water for 20 minutes, cut my bike ride by about two miles, didn't walk the dogs and ate 1,449 calories today. That's good, but I am afraid of gaining back.

It's funny that I'm heavy, when I was younger the doctor use to tell me to gain weight. All of my children are thin and my husband is a bit over weight, but nothing horrible. Just call me Abby Normal.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
108 at 6:15 when I left for my bike ride. It's suppose to be hotter tomorrow. I spent most of the day out in the pool with my husband and two grandsons.

I had an uneasy feeling all day. I decided I wasn't going to push it as hard as I had been. I was going to take the weekends easier. I only treaded water for 20 minutes, cut my bike ride by about two miles, didn't walk the dogs and ate 1,449 calories today. That's good, but I am afraid of gaining back.

It's funny that I'm heavy, when I was younger the doctor use to tell me to gain weight. All of my children are thin and my husband is a bit over weight, but nothing horrible. Just call me Abby Normal.
Well Abby,

You did a good thing by listening to your body. I think you are doing great and are going to meet your goal. :D

Missy
Old 08-15-2010, 05:15 AM

Missy, you are such an inspiration and wonderful cheerleader I love come on this site and reading your kind words of encouragement. I thought Taco Bell just added that fresh menu for those of us who love taco bell but want to eat healthier. I haven't tried it but the commercials sure look good.

CAROLJ, I wish I lived closer to you. Our produce stands all close in the summer. So it's the supermarket or do without. I don't know how to "can" nor do I really want to learn, I have blanched some veggies for the freezer but I can't say for sure that I did it right. Some of the things turned out ok some not so ok.

Went to the community "dinner and a movie" last nite. It was italian nite, oh boy, they had a BEAUTIFUL anti-pasta salad. It had grilled asparagus, artichoke hearts, caprese salad, red and yellow peppers, olives of every variety as well as the ham, salami, lettuce. As I may have mentioned before I don't eat meat, so I picked some peppers, olives, asparagus and artichokes out for my salad. Yum-yum. Then they came around with the dinner, sausage, meatballs, stuffed shells and the italian mixed veggies. I ated my veggies then moved my plate to the side (DAH, darling almost husband) got to enjoy the rest :) :) So now comes dessert, spumoni with a lady finger, girls, I ate every bite of that dessert and if they had offered me another I would have eaten that one too. Instead, they came around with a beautiful basket of frozen grapes, our hostess insisted we try them, I'm glad I did they were absolutely delicious and they seemed to really satisfy my sweet tooth. I told DAH that I would be freezing grapes from now on. Though the skin was a bit tough for my teeth, do you find that? I do have sensitive teeth. I liked the black and red grapes, I didn't try the green ones as I don't like those unfrozen so I didn't think I would like them frozen. Today it's back on track for me :) :)
Old 08-15-2010, 05:52 AM

well, my two day graze didn't do too much harm :D.... but I'm hoping to lose a couple more lbs this month.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:11 AM

Well I took my 7 yo Grandangel to see a movie saturday and to dinner afterwards. That meant I strayed a tiny bit, but today is a new day and I get to try again! First thing this morning I came here to be inspired. And I am! Thanks to all of you for your postings! You have no idea how much it helps!

God Bless
Old 08-15-2010, 07:47 AM

[quote=Terryl]Missy, you are such an inspiration and wonderful cheerleader I love come on this site and reading your kind words of encouragement. I thought Taco Bell just added that fresh menu for those of us who love taco bell but want to eat healthier. I haven't tried it but the commercials sure look good.

CAROLJ, I wish I lived closer to you. Our produce stands all close in the summer. So it's the supermarket or do without. I don't know how to "can" nor do I really want to learn, I have blanched some veggies for the freezer but I can't say for sure that I did it right. Some of the things turned out ok some not so ok.

Went to the community "dinner and a movie" last nite. It was italian nite, oh boy, they had a BEAUTIFUL anti-pasta salad. It had grilled asparagus, artichoke hearts, caprese salad, red and yellow peppers, olives of every variety as well as the ham, salami, lettuce. As I may have mentioned before I don't eat meat, so I picked some peppers, olives, asparagus and artichokes out for my salad. Yum-yum. Then they came around with the dinner, sausage, meatballs, stuffed shells and the italian mixed veggies. I ated my veggies then moved my plate to the side (DAH, darling almost husband) got to enjoy the rest :) :) So now comes dessert, spumoni with a lady finger, girls, I ate every bite of that dessert and if they had offered me another I would have eaten that one too. Instead, they came around with a beautiful basket of frozen grapes, our hostess insisted we try them, I'm glad I did !

Oh thank you so much! You are so sweet!

Yes the skin is a little tough but I LOVE frozen grapes. They certainly do satisfy that sweet tooth. I am so glad you got to try them!

Yumm-O!

Missy
Old 08-15-2010, 07:47 AM

[quote=Terryl]Missy, you are such an inspiration and wonderful cheerleader I love come on this site and reading your kind words of encouragement. I thought Taco Bell just added that fresh menu for those of us who love taco bell but want to eat healthier. I haven't tried it but the commercials sure look good.

Went to the community "dinner and a movie" last nite. It was italian nite, oh boy, they had a BEAUTIFUL anti-pasta salad. It had grilled asparagus, artichoke hearts, caprese salad, red and yellow peppers, olives of every variety as well as the ham, salami, lettuce. As I may have mentioned before I don't eat meat, so I picked some peppers, olives, asparagus and artichokes out for my salad. Yum-yum. Then they came around with the dinner, sausage, meatballs, stuffed shells and the italian mixed veggies. I ated my veggies then moved my plate to the side (DAH, darling almost husband) got to enjoy the rest :) :) So now comes dessert, spumoni with a lady finger, girls, I ate every bite of that dessert and if they had offered me another I would have eaten that one too. Instead, they came around with a beautiful basket of frozen grapes, our hostess insisted we try them, I'm glad I did !

Oh thank you so much! You are so sweet!

Yes the skin is a little tough but I LOVE frozen grapes. They certainly do satisfy that sweet tooth. I am so glad you got to try them!

Yumm-O!

Missy
Old 08-15-2010, 07:54 AM

I'm very disappointed. I was reasonably good this week and all I lost was 2 ounces! What does reasonably good mean? Well, I did go over my allotted calories on two days, but total calories for the week I was under. I even exercised four out of seven days.

I'm not going to let the lack of results ruin my determination, but I really deserved a minimum weight loss of 2 pounds! I guess we don't always get what we deserve *sighs*
Old 08-15-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by thequilteddove
I'm very disappointed. I was reasonably good this week and all I lost was 2 ounces! What does reasonably good mean? Well, I did go over my allotted calories on two days, but total calories for the week I was under. I even exercised four out of seven days.

I'm not going to let the lack of results ruin my determination, but I really deserved a minimum weight loss of 2 pounds! I guess we don't always get what we deserve *sighs*
With the exercise you did you probably gained muscle mass and that weighs more than body fat. So, I am thinking you have gained muscle mass. I think you did fine and you should keep up the good work.

Missy
Old 08-15-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by thequilteddove

The goal isn't to lose weight! It is to get healthier :-) :-)
It is sort of unfortunate we use the number on the scale to decide if we are achieving the goal of health. Perhaps you should start using a scale of 1-10 and chart your healthy eating and activity level. If you eat and exercise according to the plan, give yourself an 8 or above...just reserve 10 for the day you have resisted temptation and don't feel deprived. If you haven't behaved according to the plan give yourself an honest 4 or less. Remember it isn't what we do 10% of the time, what do the other 90% is what really counts.

If you graph your days, consider how many days you have on or above 5. What is the ratio between 5 and above days vs. 4 and below days. Work hard to get that ration up to 9 above/1 below. Don't weigh yourself until you reach to 8/2 ration for at least 2 weeks. By that time, you should see a fair reduction on the scales.

Another better gage than the scale is to measure yourself. Write down the numbers and tape the paper under the scale. When you are finally at the 8/2 ration or better, measure yourself and calculate the number of inches lost.

The goal isn't to lose weight, it is to improve health. Do what is right according to a healthy plan and the weight will take care of itself. ;)