Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST >
  • Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

• Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Old 01-03-2011, 07:24 AM
    Power Poster

On the cardio machines (those things that come with book racks, lol) time spent is not nearly as important as intensity of the workout. You should always be working within your target heart rate for burning fat. For me that is 150. Find out your target heart rate and check often to see if you are in that range. 20-30 minutes of that will do more for you than hours of leisurely walking while reading a magazine in the book rack. In my gym, the people who read while using the cardio machines are not the ones you see ever get any smaller. My rule of thumb is that if you can see print on a page or screen while working out, you aren't working hard enough to do any good.
    Old 01-03-2011, 07:32 AM

Good morning everyone!
    I have a slimmed down recipe to share. Do I post it here or
    in Recipe section? Dotty
    Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    On the cardio machines (those things that come with book racks, lol) time spent is not nearly as important as intensity of the workout. You should always be working within your target heart rate for burning fat. For me that is 150. Find out your target heart rate and check often to see if you are in that range. 20-30 minutes of that will do more for you than hours of leisurely walking while reading a magazine in the book rack.
    I've always heard that too.
    Now I'm going to pat myself on the back because I just got back from 15min on a slow treadmill and 1/2 hr slowly on a stationary bike. I have to keep my pulse on the lower side, says my cardio doc.
    Also I've bought a pulse oximeter fingertip thing that tells me what my pulse and blood oxygen level are. I've noticed that the pulse numbers on it are a lot lower than the readout on the machines. I'm going to go believe my pulse oximeter.
    I'm only going to weigh myself once a week. Don't want to depress myself!
    Old 01-03-2011, 08:48 AM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Good morning everyone!
    in Recipe section? Dotty
    post it here, please!
    Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 AM

Doty please post your recipe here, I'm to lazy to go to the recipe section. Carol
    Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Good morning everyone!
    in Recipe section? Dotty
    post it here..........we all post OUR recipes on this thread is just makes things easier for US.
    Old 01-03-2011, 09:08 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
    Originally Posted by trupeach1
    Originally Posted by kwendt

:lol: There's this little thing on the Elliptical, the Cross Trainer, the Stationary Bike, etc.... and it's called.....are you ready?.... it's called a "book rack". lol
    Well just slap me silly, I didn't know that. I have never been to a gym I do pilates at home and with all the foot harnesses and resistance cords it looks more like I am getting ready for an X rated movie then exercising. :shock: :shock:
    Now I would rent THAT dvd!!! Is this your co-star? He is HOT (as in I am gonna barf up my dinner sort of way)!!
    He looks like he needs to take a shower in RAID ROACH SPRAY!!!!!!!!!!!! But I could be wrong, maybe it should be Hartz flea spray OH MY I just can't decide.
    Old 01-03-2011, 09:18 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by purplemem
    Good morning! I have a loss! down 2 lbs.

Time to Go!
    yipppppeeeeeeeeee for you, being sick paid off!!! :lol: :lol:
    Old 01-03-2011, 09:45 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    In my gym, the people who read while using the cardio machines are not the ones you see ever get any smaller. My rule of thumb is that if you can see print on a page or screen while working out, you aren't working hard enough to do any good.
    I think your statement is discouraging to people who have to take it slow. I hate to tell you I have no balance system, zippo, none, nothing. I am bedridden most days. I have crawled for months to get to a bathroom as I couldn't stand from the intense vertigo I suffer on a daily basis. I have ALSO LOST 30 LBS. I have 30 more to reach goal.

We incourage people who are now able to walk up a flight of stairs or out to their mailbox who couldn't before. WE ARE NOT TRAINING FOR A MARATHON. Your advice might be good for people at a different level then most of the people doing the challenge. HAVE YOU NOT READ COMMENTS? Some players have 100 lb or more to lose. You say if they can read while working out you are not working out hard enough. Do you know the ages of someone the players? If some of them would take your advice they will end up having a heart attack. If you are going to be negative about the intensity, or type of exercise people are doing PLEASE REFRAIN from commenting. That also includes their diet or food choices.
    If you read all previous months there is nothing EVER negative. Your comments were negative. I am hosting this thread I do not expect to read anything in the way of "the ones who read...................never get smaller" If a person on this thread is exercising any exercise after being immobile for months no make that years I am proud of them to even attenpt to be exercising at all.
    This is also not to GET SMALLER some have been doing this challenge for months, it is to get healthy not necessarily to only lose weight. I am happy for each and everyone when they decide to de-crap their kitchens replacing it with healthy food. This has been a long journey for some people to start a healthy lifestyle and I along with many others on this thread will incourage not discourage them as much as we can.
    I understand you have a gym and prehaps you could start your own thread with people who are at the same level you are. It might be more fun for you, you could talk about the intensity of your workouts or how many miles you ran. It's just a thought.
    Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 AM
    BMP

ANY movement is a plus no matter what speed you do !!
    I didnt do any speed stuff today but I can certainly feel it already which means I have moved muscles that havent been used in a few months.
    I am going to keep a chart of my excerise,hoping to increase my duration each week. Today I got 30 min on the treadmill, 35 minutes on the bike and 15 on the eliptical. I'll continue these amounts this week and try to bump them up by 5 minutes each next week until I can do 45 minutes on each.