Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up >

Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up

Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up

Old 11-10-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Originally Posted by Leota
That would be awesome if it starts at $500 and go UP :D
It sure would!! I would feel awful if they started at $500 and then went down. Yipes. I never really thought about that happening.

Missy
Don't auction start high, with the anticipation of going lower?
Old 11-10-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by JanTx
There will be a "new" wwatcher plan revealed on 11/27. Don't know how extensive it will be. Only thing we've heard is that fruits will be free - just as veggies are now. Other than that I hope there's enough change to warrant all the buzz that's been going on about it.
Hmmm! Our facilitator told us it had to do with fruits and veggies but would not say what it was. We shall see
Old 11-10-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
Originally Posted by Leota
That would be awesome if it starts at $500 and go UP :D
It sure would!! I would feel awful if they started at $500 and then went down. Yipes. I never really thought about that happening.

Missy
Don't auction start high, with the anticipation of going lower?
I do not know...oh man...I am worried that they won't get much for the quilt now...so scary...I was really hoping they would get a nice amount and be able to help more clients with that money.

Missy
Old 11-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Banned

auctions ALAYS go up why would they start high and go lower?????? they want to get the most money they could so they wouldn't drop the price.

Beautiful quilt Missy!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
auctions ALAYS go up why would they start high and go lower?????? they want to get the most money they could so they wouldn't drop the price.

Every auction I have been at, they will start at one price, and will keep lowering the starting bid price until they have an entry bid. From that point the bidding goes up. Many bidders will wait for the drop, they don't want to start at the higher price. Ebay is different, you have a start price and people either bid or not.

You could always have them put a reserve price on the quilt so it doesn't go to low. But generally people will bid higher than normal for a good cause.

Anyway, it is a beautifu quilt. I think the Log Cabin is my favorite pattern.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:38 PM

Thank you Tru. I am not familiar with auctions and it just makes me nervous. The whole reason I made the quilt was so that they would have more money to help my peers. There are so many here of us in Rapid that are dealing with serious mental illnesses and I wanted to make life easier for those of us with the mental illnesses. That is all.

Missy
Old 11-10-2010, 05:41 PM

Every auction I have been at, they will start at one price, and will keep lowering the starting bid price until they have an entry bid. From that point the bidding goes up. Many bidders will wait for the drop, they don't want to start at the higher price. Ebay is different, you have a start price and people either bid or not.

You could always have them put a reserve price on the quilt so it doesn't go to low. But generally people will bid higher than normal for a good cause.

Thank you Carol for explaining that to me. It helps me understand the process better.

Thank you for the sweet comment about the quilt. I too love the Log Cabin. I am getting ready to make another quilt about that same size but it will be the Radiant Star or the Lone Star or as the Lakota say here in South Dakota the Star quilt.

I am looking forward to making that one!

Missy
Old 11-10-2010, 05:51 PM

Thank you Carol for explaining that to me. It helps me understand the process better.

Thank you for the sweet comment about the quilt. I too love the Log Cabin. I am getting ready to make another quilt about that same size but it will be the Radiant Star or the Lone Star or as the Lakota say here in South Dakota the Star quilt.

I am looking forward to making that one!

Missy
I tried a Lone Star years ago, but I never finished it. When I went back, I ran out of one of the fabrics. The original was no longer manufactored so I bought a similar hue. But it bugged me to not have them match so it sits in the closet unfinished.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned

You learn something new everyday. Just like the food is differnet from state to state I guess lots of things are. There is an auction house a few miles from where I live and when I was able to go out they had auctions once a month that I went to. They had a starting price and always went up I don't remember them doing down. I wonder if it was because it was always antiques????????
Old 11-10-2010, 06:08 PM

Missy,
That is a beautiful quilt. Good job, girl. Good luck with the auction.