Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Old 09-23-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Missy I forgot to tell you once you have it done you have to exercise. I am sure the doc have told you but incase that haven't. The reason is because you will be dropping the weight so fast if you don't exercise the extra skin will hang and bag. If you exercise the skin will tighten up as you lose the weight. Did I explain myself correctly????? You know we are here for you and you can count on us for ALL the support you need. We love you Missy!!!!!!!
Oh Tru!!!!!!!!! I so love you guys too!!!!

Yes I definitely will have to exercise. I already have a pannus (hanging belly) and the surgeon told me that after I get to my goal then I will have to have that removed. No biggie according to the surgeon. I will then have a flat stomach for the first time in my life. I already am walking in the channel at the pool about 2 miles. I am going to add some weights and also some circuit training.

Because I started out weighing over 450 pounds there will be some element of loose skin but the exercise will help some of that.

I hope you guys are doing well this morning!! I am about to take my nephew to school. I will be back home in about 20 minutes.

Missy
Old 09-23-2010, 06:22 AM

Congrats Sandra! We just might be sending FQs to you this month. lol
Old 09-23-2010, 06:25 AM

Gwyn - *hugs* I wasn't having a good day the other day either but what you told me made a lot of sense. I don't have to be perfect and it made me feel better. When I try to watch my weight I try to eat perfectly. Well, we humans and none of us is perfect so why demand that of myself?

Missy - I hope you find out a date soon. I know you must feel a little nervous (this is a major surgery after all) but know that it will be worth it in the end. I pray everything goes well for you and that your recover quickly.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:54 AM

After my little pitty party, I received another newsletter I subscribe too. This is a newsletter dedicated to healthy living. The article was about goal weights. He said, Your goal weightn should be the weight where you have the most energy, the (something else) and your waist measurment is less than 1/2 your height (about 30"). The arbitrary numbers on height/weight charts are not as good an indicator as how you feel and your waist measurement.

So, since I don't really need to be Twiggy, I have decided to work primarily on that waist measurement and to come up with a personal satisfaction measure that allows me to track how my energy level and general health can be seen getting better.

I'm not going to change what I eat on my new plan (Mom & I have spent 3 weeks working it out). I will still have tea time because I enjoy it. Portion control and carb control need to be maintained and blood sugars need to be monitored. I'm so conditioned to use the numbers on the scale to gage my health and self-worth it may take some doing to actually be okay with this new way of thinking, but I can do it.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
Gwyn - *hugs* I wasn't having a good day the other day either but what you told me made a lot of sense. I don't have to be perfect and it made me feel better. When I try to watch my weight I try to eat perfectly. Well, we humans and none of us is perfect so why demand that of myself?

Missy - I hope you find out a date soon. I know you must feel a little nervous (this is a major surgery after all) but know that it will be worth it in the end. I pray everything goes well for you and that your recover quickly.
Thank you so much Christina! You are just so sweet. I sure hope I find out something soon.

Missy
Old 09-23-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
After my little pitty party, I received another newsletter I subscribe too. This is a newsletter dedicated to healthy living. The article was about goal weights. He said, Your goal weightn should be the weight where you have the most energy, the (something else) and your waist measurment is less than 1/2 your height (about 30"). The arbitrary numbers on height/weight charts are not as good an indicator as how you feel and your waist measurement.

So, since I don't really need to be Twiggy, I have decided to work primarily on that waist measurement and to come up with a personal satisfaction measure that allows me to track how my energy level and general health can be seen getting better.

I'm not going to change what I eat on my new plan (Mom & I have spent 3 weeks working it out). I will still have tea time because I enjoy it. Portion control and carb control need to be maintained and blood sugars need to be monitored. I'm so conditioned to use the numbers on the scale to gage my health and self-worth it may take some doing to actually be okay with this new way of thinking, but I can do it.
You have a really good plan. I like what you mentioned about the waist measurement and what an ideal goal weight would be. I am confident that you will reach your goal.

It is amazing to me that planning in advance what we will be doing as far as eating and exercise is concerned makes a huge difference. I try to plan out everything I possibly can and I think that is what has contributed to my weight loss so far.

Missy
Old 09-23-2010, 08:20 AM

Poor Little Larry....

A new teacher was trying to make use of her psychology courses. She started her class by saying, 'Everyone who thinks they're stupid, stand up!' After a few seconds, Little Larry stood up. The teacher said, 'Do you think you're stupid, Larry?' 'No, ma'am, but I hate to see you standing there all by yourself!'

Larry watched, fascinated, as his mother smoothed cold cream on her face. 'Why do you do that, mommy?' he asked. 'To make myself beautiful,' said his mother, who then began removing the cream with a tissue. 'What's the matter, asked Larry 'Giving up?'

The math teacher saw that Larry wasn't paying attention in class. She called on him and said, 'Larry! What are 2 and 4 and 28 and 44?' Larry quickly replied, 'NBC, FOX, ESPN and the Cartoon Network!'

Larry's kindergarten class was on a field trip to their local police station where they saw pictures tacked to a bulletin board of the 10 most wanted criminals. One of the youngsters pointed to a picture and asked if it really was the photo of a wanted person. 'Yes,' said the policeman. 'The detectives want very badly to capture him. Larry asked,"Why didn't you keep him when you took his picture?"

Little Larry attended a horse auction with his father. He watched as his father moved from horse to horse, running his hands up and down the horse's legs and rump, and chest. After a few minutes, Larry asked, 'Dad, why are you doing that?' His father replied, 'Because when I'm buying horses, I have to make sure that they are healthy and in good shape before I buy. Larry, looking worried, said, 'Dad, I think the UPS guy wants to buy Mom...'

I know. I know. I am bad. :):):):):)
Old 09-23-2010, 10:13 AM

WhoooHooo - Down 4.2 this week at WW!!
Old 09-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SandraD
WhoooHooo - Down 4.2 this week at WW!!
doing the happy dance for you!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 AM

Thank you, thank you!