Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Old 09-06-2010, 06:48 AM

Holy Moly!!

My mom just called to tell me they were on their way home from Montana. She also just casually mentions that she won the BIG cash poker tournament yesterday!! I asked her how much she won and she said she won $7,500.00!!!!

Woohoo for my mom!! She is a dang good poker player. She was even playing against some of the World Championship Poker winners like Doyle Brunson and others. WOW.

I am so excited for her!

So, now I will calm down.

It is only 50 degrees right now and rainy so I should just get some oatmeal and sit and enjoy the day.

Missy
Old 09-06-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Originally Posted by grandme26
Drink lots of water. You probably ate more salt than usual so you need to flush it out. Chinese food has a lot of salt.
Judy,

Since you were a nurse I am wondering something about the water drinking issue. If you should drink half your body weight in ounces of water then that would mean that I need to drink around 210 ounces of water. That seems like a TON of water. I am currently drinking about 60-80 ounces (3-4 20 ounce bottles).

I am a bit nervous about this. Would you shed some light for me about the water thing? Thank you!

Missy
Missy, I believe the rule of thumb is drink 1/2 your body weight up to 100 lbs over and then keep it at that point. That would be around 12 1/2 to 13, 8 0z. glasses/day. If you have kidney problems or any other condition please consult your doctor as there is a chance of electrolyte imbalance if you drink to much.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Drink lots of water. You probably ate more salt than usual so you need to flush it out. Chinese food has a lot of salt.
Judy,

Since you were a nurse I am wondering something about the water drinking issue. If you should drink half your body weight in ounces of water then that would mean that I need to drink around 210 ounces of water. That seems like a TON of water. I am currently drinking about 60-80 ounces (3-4 20 ounce bottles).

I am a bit nervous about this. Would you shed some light for me about the water thing? Thank you!

Missy
Missy, I believe the rule of thumb is drink 1/2 your body weight up to 100 lbs over and then keep it at that point. That would be around 12 1/2 to 13, 8 0z. glasses/day. If you have kidney problems or any other condition please consult your doctor as there is a chance of electrolyte imbalance if you drink to much.
Judy,

Whew! I am so glad I don't have to drink 200+ ounces of water a day! I would be in the bathroom all day. LOL

I can do the 12 1/2 to 13 8-oz glasses a day though.

I feel so much better. :)

Missy
Old 09-06-2010, 07:17 AM

I am working on a baby quilt today. Have to have it done by Sunday afternoon for the shower. Then later today I go to DS & DDIL's home to celebrate my grandson's 5th birthday. It will be all Thomas the train. His other grandmother has made him a Thomas quilt, and then the rest of us have picked out Thomas things. I got him mega blocks Thomas at the fair. His dinner and ours, of course, will be his favorite mac and cheese with applesauce. There will be birthday cake, and YES I will have a piece!!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:20 AM

I am working on a baby quilt today. Have to have it done by Sunday afternoon for the shower. Then later today I go to DS & DDIL's home to celebrate my grandson's 5th birthday. It will be all Thomas the train. His other grandmother has made him a Thomas quilt, and then the rest of us have picked out Thomas things. I got him mega blocks Thomas at the fair. His dinner and ours, of course, will be his favorite mac and cheese with applesauce. There will be birthday cake, and YES I will have a piece!!
Judy,

I think you should eat what his favorite things. I do think that you should also have some cake! I think it will be big fun to go to that party.

Since everything is Thomas the Train he is just going to have a ball.

Have a good time!

Missy
Old 09-06-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
I am disappointed. I did EVERYTHING I should. I weighed and measured, counted calories. EVERTHING was perfect, perfect, perfect. Sunday is my cheat day. I was going to have pancakes for breakfast Today was weigh in I just knew I had to lose something since I was so good all week. How exciting to get on the scale, would it be 1&1/2 lbs?? 2 would be better. I lost nothing, nada, ubupcus(SP?). I had oatmeal for breakfast instead. (sigh)
Do you do your measurements each month? sometimes there isn't a change on the scale but your body is changing and you can feel it in your clothes or see the change that way. don't get discouraged it will show.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:35 AM

ONLY ONE POUND

Hello, do you know me? If you don't you should. I'm a pound of fat, and I'm the happiest pound of fat that you would ever want to meet. Want to know why? It's because no one ever wants to lose me; I'm Only One Pound, just a pound. Everyone wants to lose three pounds, five pounds or fifteen pounds, but never only one, so I just stick around and happily keep you fat. Then I add to myself ever so slyly so that you never seem to notice it, that is until I've grown to ten, twenty or even more pounds in weight. Yes, it's fun being Only One Pound of fat, left to do as I please. So, when you weigh in, keep right on saying "Oh, I only lost one pound." ( as if that were such a terrible thing!) For you see, if you do this you'll encourage others to keep me around because they will think I'm not worth losing. And I love being around you - your arms, your legs, your chin, your hips and every part of you. Happy Days!! After all, I'm Only One Pound of fat!!! from www.dwlz.com/Motivation/tips
Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 AM

and with the previous post I have to come back and say I made horrible choices this weekend. I did not feel good. Had a sore throat so used that as an excuse for the ice cream, and that triggered my sweet/saltly thing. was a weekend of bad choices but am on a positive thought today so it will is going to be better.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by grannie-k
ONLY ONE POUND

Hello, do you know me? If you don't you should. I'm a pound of fat, and I'm the happiest pound of fat that you would ever want to meet. Want to know why? It's because no one ever wants to lose me; I'm Only One Pound, just a pound. Everyone wants to lose three pounds, five pounds or fifteen pounds, but never only one, so I just stick around and happily keep you fat. Then I add to myself ever so slyly so that you never seem to notice it, that is until I've grown to ten, twenty or even more pounds in weight. Yes, it's fun being Only One Pound of fat, left to do as I please. So, when you weigh in, keep right on saying "Oh, I only lost one pound." ( as if that were such a terrible thing!) For you see, if you do this you'll encourage others to keep me around because they will think I'm not worth losing. And I love being around you - your arms, your legs, your chin, your hips and every part of you. Happy Days!! After all, I'm Only One Pound of fat!!! from www.dwlz.com/Motivation/tips
I love it! That is wonderful! I always say to the doctor when I go to the hospital to weigh in that I only want to lose one pound. I would be happy with just one pound.

Thank you for sending this in. I really got a kick out of it.

Missy
Old 09-06-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by grannie-k
and with the previous post I have to come back and say I made horrible choices this weekend. I did not feel good. Had a sore throat so used that as an excuse for the ice cream, and that triggered my sweet/saltly thing. was a weekend of bad choices but am on a positive thought today so it will is going to be better.
Oh hun! Falling off the wagon happens but your attitude of being positive today will make today better. Hang in there!

Missy