Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Old 09-05-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
Good and bad are all around us.
When I make good choices I get good rewards when I make bad choices I get bad consequence .

This morning I made a good choice to only have 2 pancakes and half a sausage. There by saving 300 calories and fat I did not need.
I also chose to eat my pancakes with homemade jam instead of high fructose syrup to save a few more calories.

Today I am bringing a fruit salad instead of my normal cheese cake.
If I had brought the cheese cake then I would make the good choice to eat a tiny sliver instead of a whole hunk
I have made bad decisions and that is why I am almost 100lbs over weight.

When I said I am being good and bringing a fruit salad I meant that I am making a good choice.

If I made a bad choice to to rob a bank would I then not be bad the same as if I brought the cheese cake to the BBQ?
It isn't what we do that makes us good or bad. We experience consequences either way. But, some consequences aren't as pleasant as others.

I guess I was trying to help the discouraged understand that even when making positive choices, the reward/consequence may not be what we expect. Just knowing you have made positive choices should be enough to help you feel positive about yourself. Not a number on a scale or tape measure.

Abby, you are making good choices. You are planning ways to help yourself succeed in improving you health. Be proud of your choice. Be proud of yourself, and even if you do not see lower numbers on the scale, don't fret. You did what is right,and you feel good about your choices. :-)
Old 09-05-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by grandme26
Missy, the table runner is beautiful. I will be your grandmother and you can make one for me. I have a question for you,,, why do we see are imperfections and no one else can see them? WOW, 2 quilts in a show and then on to Haiti. That is great and a wonderful way to help others.

Trupeach1, I must agree on the cheat, but not for the whole day. My big thing is to not deprive myself of anything BUT make it one or two bites. After all it is not going run away from us forever, never to taste it again, but if we have just a small taste we know we can have more in the future.

I am going to finish up the reorganization of my tables and then back to work on the baby quilt. The Baby Shower is in a week and I still have to put the backing, batting and borders on it. I do better with a deadline so here is hoping.

Have a great day.
Oh I would love to make one for you. Why do we see our imperfections? I have no idea. I guess for me, I just do.

I hope you get your baby quilt done. :)

Missy
Old 09-05-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Linda58
Originally Posted by MissyGirl
I actually gained 1/4# last month, but this month I am promising to do much better. I have my seltzer water, bottled water, and have cleaned out my house of all the junk. My hubby is joining me in the weight loss, so here I go in Sept!!!

Linda58
That is great that your husband is joining in on the fun! What does seltzer water taste like? I have never had that before.

My mom and stepdad are out of town this weekend and so I took this opportunity to clear out the pantry of all the bad stuff. Not only does the pantry look better but there is no more junk in there. *patting myself on back* Good job Missy! Hehehehe!

Missy
Good job, cleaning out the pantry is hard, because there is usually GOOD stuff in there. GOOD JOB MISSY!!!

We like plain or flavored seltzer or mineral water. It's carbonated. No calories and it is not sweet. I love Tangerine flavor on the rocks. It quenches my thurst while plain water does not, but I do drink both!! The expensive stuff is called Pelligrino Water or PERRIER Water. I buy the cheapest I can fine, usually 50 -75 cents a big bottle. I started drinking it to help me burp, because I have a really hard time with that and feel bloated a lot of the time. It really helps.

PS- It is not the same as soda water! I do not like that!
Thank you so much Linda! I am going to have to buy some of that.

Missy
Old 09-05-2010, 02:03 PM

HI everyone, Been really busy the last couple of days. Our fridg went out Thursday evening sometime. Opened the freezer Friday morning to get some turkey sausage out for breakfast and everything was soft, ugh
We have been shopping for a new fridg for two days. Boy are they expensive. So now had all that food to toss and now work out of a cooler for a week or so until we can get delivery. Because it happened over a holiday it sets delivery dates back some. OK I'm over my whining.
First beautiful table runner Missy and so glad you had such a wonderful time with Mike and his Mom and your friend. So nice that you got to clean out the pantry of "bad" stuff
Trupeach don't get discouraged and keep up the good eating habits you are forming. I have had much the same happen over this past week. Did everything I should and still the scale didn't budge.
Gwyn Your Soapbox is right on target we all need to keep that in mind
To everyone, have a great Holiday and a very successful week ahead.
Gail
Old 09-05-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by quilthappygail
HI everyone, Been really busy the last couple of days. Our fridg went out Thursday evening sometime. Opened the freezer Friday morning to get some turkey sausage out for breakfast and everything was soft, ugh
We have been shopping for a new fridg for two days. Boy are they expensive. So now had all that food to toss and now work out of a cooler for a week or so until we can get delivery. Because it happened over a holiday it sets delivery dates back some. OK I'm over my whining.
First beautiful table runner Missy and so glad you had such a wonderful time with Mike and his Mom and your friend. So nice that you got to clean out the pantry of "bad" stuff
Trupeach don't get discouraged and keep up the good eating habits you are forming. I have had much the same happen over this past week. Did everything I should and still the scale didn't budge.
Gwyn Your Soapbox is right on target we all need to keep that in mind
To everyone, have a great Holiday and a very successful week ahead.
Gail
Thank you so much Gail! Mike is really turning out to be a great friend.

I hope when my mom opens the pantry that she sees all the good stuff in there and not all that crapola that used to be in there.

Missy
Old 09-05-2010, 02:32 PM

Trupeach,
You didn't GAIN that's the good point....keep working toward your goal. It will happen.. :D
Old 09-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bronald
I'm off to a good start today. I had such a yummy breakfast egg white muffins, toast and 1/2 pear. 2 cups of water. 187 cal.
I feel full and I'm ready to get on with my day. I hope everyone has a great day.
What are eggwhite muffins? How do you make them?
Ditto!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Banned

:cry: :oops: :cry: Well I really overdid it. I went out Friday night to celebrate and then yesterday DH brings home Mandarin/Chinese food for dinner and it was so good. Got on the scales this morning and it showed that I had gained back 5 lbs in just those 2 days. So it is back to the new way of eating that my son came up with for me. I had been so good all of last month, but wasted alot of my efforts in the last 2 days. My new mantra is "if I want to lose the weight I have to exercise and stick with the new way to eat", no exceptions. :cry:
Old 09-05-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by candlequilter
:cry: :oops: :cry: Well I really overdid it. I went out Friday night to celebrate and then yesterday DH brings home Mandarin/Chinese food for dinner and it was so good. Got on the scales this morning and it showed that I had gained back 5 lbs in just those 2 days. So it is back to the new way of eating that my son came up with for me. I had been so good all of last month, but wasted alot of my efforts in the last 2 days. My new mantra is "if I want to lose the weight I have to exercise and stick with the new way to eat", no exceptions. :cry:
Oh my. I bet that gain was water retention. That chinese food has a ton of sodium in it. I bet in a few days those five pounds will be gone.

Missy
Old 09-05-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Originally Posted by candlequilter
Oh my. I bet that gain was water retention. That chinese food has a ton of sodium in it. I bet in a few days those five pounds will be gone.

Missy
Missy is quite right. Drink lots and lots of water. That will soon get rid of that nasty sodium. :twisted: