Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Old 09-27-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by quilthappygail
Missy you keep up the posts. I love to hear from you.
Gail
Gail,

I will sure do that!

Missy
Old 09-27-2010, 01:25 PM

I was a size six in grade school, I think. size 8 or 10 or 12 during junior high and running around a 14-16 for high school.
I really blossomed later on in life, marriage and pregnancy was a true life growth lesson, as was my latest chance to grow and learn, when I quit smoking.
A size 6 would look.. well, like anorexia city on me. I can only imagine the sagging skin that would go along with it.
HOWEVER. A lovely size 14.. I would be breaking hearts again! Well unless I lose it all in my left breast.. for some reason, that is the first place I lose weight. Just the left side...
BUT...
I begin a new regime this week.
I didn't win September. I won't even bother to send in my change in weight.
So let me know where to send to fat quarter.
But next month.. ya'll can send the FQs to me! :):)
Old 09-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Banned

OH NO OH NO I am so excited the Secret Santa thread was started. I signed up. Sign ups close Oct 15. Last year was so much fun.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
It is almost the end of the month and I have some news for all of you hungry people trying to starve yourselves into a size 6 before Christmas. IT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN. The only people with a chance to make HUGE weight changes are like Missy who can do it surgically. I'm so happy for her. She will not only get to have a New Year, but a New Life, in a New Shape. But, for the most part, she will always be our wonderful and sweet Missy - Mike's special friend.

NOW, Pay Attention to Me...I have big news.

Dr. Oz may not be a show you watch, but he is a qualified doctor with great ideas about helping people lead healthy lives. There are 5 numbers we need to know when evaluating our health and only 1 of these is on the scale (and it isn't the important 1)

We should know our Blood Pressure, making sure the top number is never more than 140 and the bottom should always be less than 100. Also, your top number needs to always be above 90.

Second is our cholestral numbers HDL, (healthy) LDL (bad) and tryglicerides (fat in blood) . I can't remember exactly what the limits are,just that mine is perfect, but I have to take a cholestral medication to keep the tryglicerides lower = a problem for diabetes)

Resting heart rate - never more than 100.
Height & Weight

Waist Measurement: Below 30, but never more than 1/2 your height in inches. I figure if you are 4 ft. tall you can go as high as 24" waist but no more. At 6ft tall you can be 36" waist at the most. The rest of us probably fall in between, height wise.

This measurement is most important because it tells you where your fat is... Fat around the middle gravely increases chances for many cancers, heart disease, stroke, lung and other organ problems. Plus it makes you top heavy which is hard on your back, shourlders, hips and knees.

I would like to suggest that instead of awarding only for number reductions on the scale, perhaps we could also reward for the most inches lost around the tummy.

For those who are stuck, this may be a huge place to shine. If your scales are working for you, go ahead. Weight IS important, but it isn't the only important number. Frankly, if I could wear a size 12-14 and not feel tight or rip seams, the scales could call me a two ton tessy. I'm not going to really compete with scales anymore, I'm using the number of days my blood sugar is below 150 and my waist measurement.

Great work and congratulations to you all who are losing. Keep it up. Start looking for routines, recipes, and reactions we can plan to use to keep us healthy and fit as we enter this holiday season. With winter upon me, I crave hot rich soups with home made bread. I also want sweet things with my tea. Need to find some ways to keep it healthy and still be happy.

Sorry for my rant. It just hit me today that I'm not looking at my whole picture. I'll do better as long as I keep perspective )expecially about the scales).
No need to be sorry Gwyn. What you wrote is an essential ingredient in our pursuit of health. It was right on the dot with what Dr Oz teaches and I have to tell you, if I were having cardiac problems I sure as heck would want him to be my surgeon!

Missy
Old 09-27-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
OH NO OH NO I am so excited the Secret Santa thread was started. I signed up. Sign ups close Oct 15. Last year was so much fun.
Uh. I have never heard of that before. What is it and how do you sign up?

Missy
Old 09-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Originally Posted by trupeach1
Uh. I have never heard of that before. What is it and how do you sign up?

Missy
Secret Santa is a swap. We get a person but they don't know who you are until they open their gift. The gift is 5 FQ's and a Christmas present with a $20 limit. On the day it is decided we all go into chat (if you can get in) and we open our pressies at the same time. It is lots of fun. I should post the link. Do a search Secret Santa is will tell you the rules etc. Last year it was SSSSOOOOOO much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 03:18 PM

Missy , still drooping, that's funny. I am doing push ups when I remember in hopes that I won't be dragging the ground.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:20 PM

As I stated before, "don't trust them scales," yesterday 210, today 205. Go figure?
Old 09-27-2010, 03:38 PM

Well, I did not do so good this month. Probably within a pound of September 1. Friday starts a new month though!

I am only half way to my goal and I only have October/November and half of December so I need to hustle my bustle.

Cindy
Old 09-27-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
As I stated before, "don't trust them scales," yesterday 210, today 205. Go figure?
You got that right. Never trust 'em!

Missy