Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Old 09-25-2010, 06:53 AM

I am so so proud of everyone! Whether you have lost or gained, you are sticking with it and I think that is wonderful!! Sometimes for me I try to think about it as not the end result but the joy of the journey.

I could not be happier that I found this thread back in May or was it June? I cannot remember. That is what old age does to a person. LOL!!

I hope everyone enjoys this last weekend in September. Ir is GORGEOUS here. It is only 56 right now and is only supposed to be 70. Yay! The Fall is just so amazing.

I do need to apologize to everyone. I am sorry that I have sent so many posts in to the group. I am also sorry that I sent in that email that I wrote about the drop-in program. I should not have burdened you guys with that. So so sorry guys!!

Well, I do wish everyone well today and I sure hope this is a great weekend for all! Please take care and post when you can!!

Missy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-115297.jpe  
Old 09-25-2010, 06:58 AM

Weight Watcher's is a great program. Using it for a lifetime won't do anyone any damage, but will work well.

Both Mom and I have been WW for a very long time. It kept my weight under control when I was in the Army. Now we are both diabetic and have spent the last 3 weeks getting our diet and blood sugar balanced. Mom only weighs 106 pounds so she doesn't need to lose any, but really needs to be sure she eats a balanced program. I weigh 244 pounds so I need to lose about 122 to be healthier.

After 3 weeks of fine tuning, we have come to the conclusion we should use the WW weekly check list to make sure we get everything we need too. This should help keep me from 'extra' portions, and it should help Mom add more variety by catching when she is stuck. We are going to exchange lists over the internet so we are kept honest.

I don't know is WW still uses these check lists. They tell you to eat 5 fish meals a week, only 4 bananas, so many eggs, etc. I'm going to very dedicated, but not to 3 meals a day. I have to eat every 2 hours. The list will help me choose based on what I need to eat. Same with Mom. I will choose low and non-fat options, Mom will choose regular fat options. I have already eliminated artificial sweeteners. Mom is working on it.

The other big change we have made is to add prunes and prune juice to our daily intake. I know it is high in sugar and calories, but it seems to have other properties that are soooo good for me and Mom. We both drink 4 oz at night. This keeps our blood sugars stable ALL NIGHT LONG.
It helps keep the digestive system working properly - also stablizing blood sugars. It kills a sweet-tooth.

If you are having trouble with wanting carbs before bed, give this a try. If you sometimes have low blood sugar and can't get some real food, try a couple of prunes (There is a brand that comes packaged like single candy.) Works faster and longer than candy, OJ, soda pop, or anything else I've tried.

I'm headed home tomorrow. I'm hoping the work I've done while visiting Mom will begin to show soon and I will begin moving toward a better, healthier life.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
Weight Watcher's is a great program. Using it for a lifetime won't do anyone any damage, but will work well.

Both Mom and I have been WW for a very long time. It kept my weight under control when I was in the Army. Now we are both diabetic and have spent the last 3 weeks getting our diet and blood sugar balanced. Mom only weighs 106 pounds so she doesn't need to lose any, but really needs to be sure she eats a balanced program. I weigh 244 pounds so I need to lose about 122 to be healthier.

After 3 weeks of fine tuning, we have come to the conclusion we should use the WW weekly check list to make sure we get everything we need too. This should help keep me from 'extra' portions, and it should help Mom add more variety by catching when she is stuck. We are going to exchange lists over the internet so we are kept honest.

I don't know is WW still uses these check lists. They tell you to eat 5 fish meals a week, only 4 bananas, so many eggs, etc. I'm going to very dedicated, but not to 3 meals a day. I have to eat every 2 hours. The list will help me choose based on what I need to eat. Same with Mom. I will choose low and non-fat options, Mom will choose regular fat options. I have already eliminated artificial sweeteners. Mom is working on it.

The other big change we have made is to add prunes and prune juice to our daily intake. I know it is high in sugar and calories, but it seems to have other properties that are soooo good for me and Mom. We both drink 4 oz at night. This keeps our blood sugars stable ALL NIGHT LONG.
It helps keep the digestive system working properly - also stablizing blood sugars. It kills a sweet-tooth.

If you are having trouble with wanting carbs before bed, give this a try. If you sometimes have low blood sugar and can't get some real food, try a couple of prunes (There is a brand that comes packaged like single candy.) Works faster and longer than candy, OJ, soda pop, or anything else I've tried.

I'm headed home tomorrow. I'm hoping the work I've done while visiting Mom will begin to show soon and I will begin moving toward a better, healthier life.
I am really impressed with how you and your mom are doing things. I do not have diabetes but I know if I do not lose the weight then I will have it.

I agree with you that WW is a great plan and is very successful at helping people to lose and maintain their weight loss. I have tried it before and I did lose weight but once I stopped going I gained it all right back plus more. I hear that that is pretty common.

Have you weighed at your mom's since you have been there? It sounds like you guys are just doing all the right things. Yay for you and your mom!

Do you have to take meds for your diabetes? Maybe once your weight gets down you can get off of meds for it if you are on any.

I am excited for you Gwyn!

Missy
Old 09-25-2010, 07:37 AM

I take metformin for my diabetes. It is designed to help the body use the insulin it makes. Mom takes a newer medication designed specifically for type 2 diabetes. My A1c was 12.5 when I was diagnosed, but it came right down to 5 after taking the medication. It hung around 4.3 - 5.4 until 2 years ago. Now it is 6.5. At 7.0 the doctor has to begin more drastic measures, but not necessarily insulin injections.

Mom's A1C started at 13.5 when she was diagnosed and steadily dropped to the most recent level of 4.3. She began on 3 different medications, but now has only 1. She is holding very well.

As/if I lose weight, I could stave off a more serious problem for a while. When I say my blood sugars are better, what I mean is they are stable. They are a bit high, but stable. It seems I am at 120-150 no matter what time of day, with or withuot my medication. No really highs or lows, but the average should be 80-100 fasting, and 100-120 2 hours after eating. So averaging 144 is just a little bit too high. However, an increase in exercise/physical therapy might help. So might changing medication. We will see what the doctor says after I get back to Utah.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:55 AM

Oh Missy I don't believe you need to apologize to us for anything! I have often felt like I should apologize because I don't post very often at all, I feel like I should have more to offer. But we all post at the level we can manage. For myself, I enjoy reading all the posts and learning something new every day. It isn't always about weight loss, but neither is my life. I read the email about the drop in program, twice actually, and thought it was interesting, and well written. I don't usually have the energy to spend time with my sisters/girlfriends, so I visit here instead. So . . . keep those posts coming!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Hi everyone. Guess what I lost 4lbs. Yay!! That makes 5lbs. plus the 2 I put on for a total of 7 lbs. this month. Taking the sugar away has made a big difference. I tried a piece of chocolate the other day and I didn't like it, it tasted aweful. LOL.
I don't see any reason for anybody to be apologizing for posting too much or too little. We all have busy lives to lead. If you post a lot it makes for good reading. Missy you have a very interesting life and I like to read about it.
I don't post too much because everytime I am on here little man always needs something as soon as I start to post. So mostly I just do a lot of reading and minor posting.
Happy losing to you all.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:36 AM

woo, woo on your weight loss cjo!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
woo, woo on your weight loss cjo!
Thank you, I was surprised when I stepped on the scale. All my clothes are baggy but I don't want to buy anything new yet not until I reach a piont where my clothes are falling off. LOL
Old 09-25-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
I take metformin for my diabetes. It is designed to help the body use the insulin it makes. Mom takes a newer medication designed specifically for type 2 diabetes. My A1c was 12.5 when I was diagnosed, but it came right down to 5 after taking the medication. It hung around 4.3 - 5.4 until 2 years ago. Now it is 6.5. At 7.0 the doctor has to begin more drastic measures, but not necessarily insulin injections.

Mom's A1C started at 13.5 when she was diagnosed and steadily dropped to the most recent level of 4.3. She began on 3 different medications, but now has only 1. She is holding very well.

As/if I lose weight, I could stave off a more serious problem for a while. When I say my blood sugars are better, what I mean is they are stable. They are a bit high, but stable. It seems I am at 120-150 no matter what time of day, with or withuot my medication. No really highs or lows, but the average should be 80-100 fasting, and 100-120 2 hours after eating. So averaging 144 is just a little bit too high. However, an increase in exercise/physical therapy might help. So might changing medication. We will see what the doctor says after I get back to Utah.
Gwyn,

Keep us up to date when you get home. I hope that they can get your sugars lower. It does sound like you know a lot about diabetes and know what you need to be doing. Good job on that!

Missy
Old 09-25-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by dgrindey
Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Originally Posted by trupeach1
Missy I forgot to tell you once you have it done you have to exercise. I am sure the doc have told you but incase that haven't. The reason is because you will be dropping the weight so fast if you don't exercise the extra skin will hang and bag. If you exercise the skin will tighten up as you lose the weight. Did I explain myself correctly????? You know we are here for you and you can count on us for ALL the support you need. We love you Missy!!!!!!!
Oh Tru!!!!!!!!! I so love you guys too!!!!

Yes I definitely will have to exercise. I already have a pannus (hanging belly) and the surgeon told me that after I get to my goal then I will have to have that removed. No biggie according to the surgeon. I will then have a flat stomach for the first time in my life. I already am walking in the channel at the pool about 2 miles. I am going to add some weights and also some circuit training.

Because I started out weighing over 450 pounds there will be some element of loose skin but the exercise will help some of that.

I hope you guys are doing well this morning!! I am about to take my nephew to school. I will be back home in about 20 minutes.

Missy
Missy, My daughter-in-law had hers removed after she lost 120 lbs. She looks great. My daughter on the other hand, cannot afford to have hers removed yet so she struggles with the belly. They have both had bypass surgery. You will look wonderful, girl
Thank you so much Donna!!

Missy