Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am >
  • weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am

• weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am

Old 03-12-2011, 09:03 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by purplemem
    The book was awesome! I loved the final ending.

I have Tom Clancy's new book. I got it in the mail today from e-bay. I love his books, too.
    I wish I had time for reading books that didn't have pictures in them. :lol:
    Old 03-12-2011, 09:04 PM

As a person with a reversal problem, the time changes are hard for me, but I think I've got it. Spring ahead and Fall back.

I had a relatively pain free day today. Instead of working hard I kind of wandered around waiting - for what???

I did pull out some apparel fabric and a few patterns. I need a new dress for my grandson's wedding Saturday. I was going to buy one, but why, when I can make one if I stay off the computer. Save the money for the car insurance. There's always something. Am I whining? Somebody give me a cyber slap if I am.

Didn't overeat today - though I'm not tucked in yet, so there's still time.
    Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose
    As a person with a reversal problem, the time changes are hard for me, but I think I've got it. Spring ahead and Fall back.

I had a relatively pain free day today. Instead of working hard I kind of wandered around waiting - for what???

I did pull out some apparel fabric and a few patterns. I need a new dress for my grandson's wedding Saturday. I was going to buy one, but why, when I can make one if I stay off the computer. Save the money for the car insurance. There's always something. Am I whining? Somebody give me a cyber slap if I am.

Didn't overeat today - though I'm not tucked in yet, so there's still time.
    No cyber slapping allowed. We all deserve a little whinning time.
    Here is you a great BIG HHHUUUGGG!!!
    Old 03-12-2011, 09:11 PM

I'm still hungry. I think I seriously need a salad and some tuna.
    All the carbs for supper didn't make it for me.

I read while I'm waiting for my dh to wake up, and my eyes are too tired to sew. For some reason I have to focus more to sew than read.

Also, I'm here an awful lot of time by myself. About 60 hours a week.
    Old 03-12-2011, 09:39 PM

Thank you, Carrie.

MJ, I'm the opposite. My mind wanders too much when I try to read, but I can sew when I'm tired. I'm dragging my feet on finishing my table runner. I haven't mastered FMQing yet, so I start slowing down when I get to that part. I keep hoping some magic dust will sprinkle down on me and make it happen. It is so unusual for me to have trouble with anything connected to sewing, that I'm not handling it well.

Carrie, are your quilts total donation or is it like our band boosters craft show? You donate one item to them along with a percentage of your profits, then the rest is yours like a regular craft show.

I was on the craft show circuit with my oldest daughter for a couple of years. Painted sweatshirts and ones with knitted yokes. It was hard sitting there all day so I gave it up. She went on to painted concrete lawn ornaments, but has stopped, too. Her best friend is still at it. I want to contact her to see what she'd charge to handle some lap quilts and tree skirts for me.
    Old 03-12-2011, 09:45 PM

Irish,
    The quilts I donate are for the organization. They do what they wish with them. I get no profit, etc.

I'm dragging my feet because I over committed again. I don't know but when I volunteer too much I just stop. Then I can't get started again. I'm in stop mode right now. Haven't even entered my sewing room.
    Old 03-12-2011, 09:53 PM
    Power Poster

Irishrose it is just like the booster show. I have designed a quilt for the silent auction and then I have to sit and try to sell the rest then they will receive part of the profits for their charity. I would prefer to give them all the quilts but they want the monitary donation but that's ok because I am enjoying making all of the quilts. I'm a little stressed at times but I get over it quickly.
    Old 03-12-2011, 10:06 PM

MJ, my quilts for the church prayer ministry, the women's shelter, Cystic Fibrosis, the pregnancy group, Quilts for Kids' etc are all total donation. I have promised a Quilt of Valor, too. As I can no longer work and teach remedial students to read, I have to have some purpose. 'A life without purpose has no purpose.'

When I was doing craft shows, it was for my profit and, at first, for my fun. The Band Boosters just had a novel way of charging for the booth. At other places, you just rented a table. BBs charged 1) a finished item for their raffle and 2) a precentage of sales. I had a child in the band, so I didn't mind. I had three in band, but not at the same time.
    Old 03-12-2011, 10:19 PM
    Power Poster

Donating part of the profits was my idea. All they wanted was a gift that was worth $25.00 but mine is worth way more then that and I hope it raises lots for their charity.
    Old 03-12-2011, 10:46 PM

Charity quilting is my ministry now, also.
    I donate to Quilts for kids, Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, several Veterans organizations, and locally, to unwed and teen mothers.
    I also help provide locally to underprivileged children by means of cuddle quilts.

I don't know what I would do if I couldn't quilt. No longer preaching and pastoring left a huge hole in my life.