Weight Watchers?

Old 08-21-2014, 04:40 AM

My husband and I joined WW in January this year with another neighborhood couple. The men are at their goal weights and are lifetime members now. My girlfriend is within 10 pounds of her goal weight. I've lost 35 pounds and am at the halfway mark now. The loss has been slow (probably a lot to due with my age - 65) which is healthier for me. The program encourages a balanced diet, exercise, slow losses, and behavior changes. The weekly weigh in and group meetings are key - they provide support, new ideas and continuous celebrations of weight journey accomplishments. I am confident that I will attain my goal weight and overcome my adult weight issues finally! As you can see, I'm a great proponent of WW after trying a multiple of other avenues unsuccessfully over the years.

PS With regards to all the fruit comment - WW (at my home location, as well as guest locations I've attended). does encourage moderation in the "free" foods - fruits and certain veggies. After all, these foods contain calories too.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:32 AM

the leaders and check in people are always successful members. If I remember correctly you had to be within 10 pounds of the goal to stay a leader. You become a WW employee and recieve a salary. The 10 pounds limit is a good idea I've watched leaders work themselves right back up, they are real people just like everyone else.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by BCM View Post
I have wondered about Weight Watchers. Who are meeting leaders-a nutrionist or whom? Is it expensive?
Leaders are people who have been successful with WW. Most are women, but I have had one male leader. The program has been developed by doctors and nutritionists, so leaders just have to know the program in all its details to help you. Most help comes from other members who share.

The cost is $13 per week in my area, but you can buy passes for a period of time. When I lost my weight, I had purchased a six month pass. That way, you don't get to tell yourself you can't afford to go this week. It's already paid for. You pay for every week, whether you attend or not, until you get to your goal. Then you also pay weekly through maintenance which I'm guessing is still six weeks. Once you finish maintenance, you are a life member and can attend meetings for free as long as you stay within two pounds of your goal weight and weight in at least once a month.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by gramma nancy View Post
Leaders are people who have been successful with WW. Most are women, but I have had one male leader. The program has been developed by doctors and nutritionists, so leaders just have to know the program in all its details to help you. Most help comes from other members who share.

The cost is $13 per week in my area, but you can buy passes for a period of time. When I lost my weight, I had purchased a six month pass. That way, you don't get to tell yourself you can't afford to go this week. It's already paid for. You pay for every week, whether you attend or not, until you get to your goal. Then you also pay weekly through maintenance which I'm guessing is still six weeks. Once you finish maintenance, you are a life member and can attend meetings for free as long as you stay within two pounds of your goal weight and weight in at least once a month.

Hope this helps!
From what I have read weight watchers is a sensible program. However, the price for it has become very expensive 13 dollars per week
Old 08-22-2014, 05:27 PM

I am doing WW and I had restarted for the umpteeth time it seems on May 28th of this year and I am down 21.2.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Just so you have a little more information about the unlimited fruit thing. This is not exactly accurate. On the WW plan any food in an unlimited has a points value and we are told to not assume that any food even the healthy one are unlimited. Fruit not unlimited. After eating a certain amount of fruit, it begins to be counted as points toward your daily allowed points. I don't have time to search the WW web site for the exact amount of fruit you can have before it begins to count but I will ask at my next meeting and post it on this thread.
I went to my WW meeting yesterday and asked about the unlimited fruit concern mentioned by Wanabee Quiltin. If all you WW folks will look at the web site or at the initial information you were give, you will find that we are directed to follow the UADA food guidelines for fruit and veggies which is 5 - 9 servings per day. If an individual is diabetic they need to follow the directions of their physician as far as fruit, that has higher sugar content. Many, many WW folks are diabetic and their doctors recommend that they continue to follow the WW program because of its balance between all food groups and the life change vs dieting perspective.

In the end we all seek the way to lose and maintine our weight that works best for us. Weight Watchers works well for many folks and if it works for you then hang on and keep in touch with your doctor to make sure your over all health is good which applies to any diet or weight loss program.

Good luck to you all and may we all reach and maintain our goal !!