Westie? Maltese? or what?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:22 PM

I've had both Maltese & Westies. My experience is that my Maltese was a real "dog's dog" & my Westie was a mama's boy. But they both were sweet. However, may I suggest using Petfinder & getting a new family member from a rescue or Humane Society? I, too, am stuck at home during the day (a blown right knee) so I can understand... it gets lonely. We recently got a Lab/Basset puppy (he's 10 months old... gthat's still a puppy, right? Even tho he weighs 50+ pounds? LOL!) from a rescue. His BFF is another rescue "find" -- a DARLING & SWEET little
Lhasa/Maltese mix. Happy hunting & let us know, OK?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:26 PM

As a couple of others have suggested here, take a look at Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. They are really people dogs and don't nip or growl and only bark at important things like squirrels. They range in size from 12-20 lbs and come in four colours with Blenheim (white and goldy brown) being the most common. I brush Molly every other day and have to make sure that she doesn't get mats in her ears or in her arm pits. She's such a loving, friendly little girl and is excellent with children and our cat.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:00 PM

Westie gets my vote - we used to pet set for a couple of them and we loved them. An adorable dog and good company.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Susanna10 View Post
Go to the Humane Society. Wonderful dogs.
I could't have said it better. If you want a Certain breed you may have to look for awhile. Most local Humane Societys have web sites where you can "shop " for a pet. But they don't have time to update but maybe once a week. So call them and ask them about any that interest you. I got my last two dogs that way.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Westies are very very very very very very very high energy! They need a LOT of activity.
We used to pet set periodically for Westies and I never found them that much more hig energy than some other breeds. They were actually rather easy to care for. Maybe we were lucky.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:12 PM

Westies are sweet dogs, but need an owner who is the boss. They are diggers therefore escape artists. Terriers are strong willed.
You can see Annie and her housemates here.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...45965719RlFVSg

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...45965719JEXyXm

Last edited by purplefiend; 02-01-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 PM

I agree with the Humane Society, or try a rescue group that specializes in a breed. You're definitely better off with an adult dog. Another option is try to locate a breeder that might be interested in selling an older animal.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:06 PM

I have an adult miniature schnauzer. She is wonderful! So much personality! She is my dog, but she loves it when my husband plays with her. She has two of the little animals that she chews on, and he hides them from her. They have lots of fun and are fun to watch. We have a collie, also. They play together and play fight a lot. They are not quite as expensive as some of the others that were mentioned.

Kathy
Old 02-01-2012, 09:07 PM

Oh, sorry, I forgot this: http://www.bing.com/search?q=snauzer...8&ShowAppsUI=1

Kathy
Old 02-01-2012, 11:52 PM

I'd get the Westie but I'm partial to them since I breed them. If price is the issue and you're not going to breed or show then find a breeder that has CKC pups rather then AKC. I've been breeding them since 1968 and have never regretted one moment. I've always guaranteed my puppies. I've even refused to sell one to people after seeing them interact. My husband had a co-worker that wanted one but I wouldn't sell to him because he had to have his dog put to sleep due to heartworms. Just a few points on what to look for if you decide on a Westie.

Double coat, soft under coat, hard outer coat. Black nose, lips rims around eyes. Look at the pads of the paws, the more black they have the better. The skin should have a dark look, no pink. Also make sure the ears stand up. If the puppy is at least 6 weeks old the ears should be up, if not, take a cotton ball, put it in the ear and wrap some tape around it, that will help the ear to stand up.

I always tell people if they decide they don't want the dog or can't for some reason keep it, bring it back, no matter how old it is, don't bounce it from home to home, I'll refund their money. I sell mine at 12 weeks with all shots and several vet vists and always have registration papers and pedigree in hand for the new mommy and daddy to take with them. I've never had one come back but have had several owners come back to get another from me. Just don't get one at a pet store. CKC pups seems to be a little less in price then AKC. Do a search for a breeder in your state, I'm sure you'll find one. Also see if the parents are on site. I know you'll never regret having one, they're wonderful little dogs and love kids. I have 16 grandkids and the dogs just love to play with them, especially out in the snow.

Good luck with your choice and your new puppy, no matter what choice you make.