Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What books would you recommend to read? >

What books would you recommend to read?

What books would you recommend to read?

Old 10-19-2011, 03:52 PM

I love all Sandra Dallas books, my favorite is "Prayers for sale" such a good story and it has quilting in!
Old 10-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Becca Bear
Originally Posted by efayard
I ditto all the authors already mentioned. If you like romance, Robyn Carr has a series-- Virgin River-- that's pretty good. I lost my mom in August. She had been between the hospital and nursing home since April. In the beginning she went through an episode of dementia which the doctor said was hospital induced psychosis. She didn't know where she was and barely knew me and my sisters. I believe it was the drugs they were giving her supposedly for anxiety and to sleep. She got better after awhile and was more like herself. It was really sad seeing her go through this. She was 92 and lived a healthy life until this episode. You're in my prayers. I know you're going through a rough time.
My husband's dementia has been diagnosed as Lewy Body Dementia. The neurologist and neuropsychologist both agreed mainly because of the hallucinations. Apparently, hallucinations are the defining criteria for LBD. I was told that is very under-diagnosed and is mistaken for Alzheimer's. There is a lot of information available on the internet. I understand exactly what you are dealing with and will keep you in my prayers, also.

Thank you so much for your kind words. My mom is 79 years old and has been struggling with this for almost two years. It is more of a psychosis instead of dementia. She has both her long and short term memory, but she has hallucinations. Some times she thinks that I'm her older sister and she thinks my brother is our dad. Some of the things she says are just precious, for instance, I recently had a birthday and the entire family gathered at her house. I brought a lemon meringue pie and she told everyone they had to try a piece of the pie because she made it from scratch from lemons she picked off a tree in her backyard! Other times she has horrible hallucinations, seeing snakes, spiders and other frightening things in her home. She does take routine medications to help with the hallucinations, but there are occasional times when the medications don't seem to help. She has more good days than bad, thank goodness. She has always been such a loving and gentle person and would do anything to help anyone that needed it. It's hard to see her change so much.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:06 PM

I just finished "Where the River Ends" by Charles Martin. It's a wonderful story about a young couple from different backgrounds - she is from a wealthy, prominent family that did everything to break them up and he was raised in a trailer park by a river. When she developed breast cancer she had one dying request and that was to go from the headwaters of the river to where the river ends. About half way through it becomes so intense that I couldn't put it down until I finished it. Loved it. His writing is similar to Nicholas Sparks.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:18 PM

Anything by David Baldacci or Greg Iles!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by boomer47
I love mystery and suspense - however, for a good read - a great story try anything by Maeve Binchey - I'm reading her latest "Minding Frankie" and it is wonderful.
Glad someone else out there likes Maeve,she is my all time favorite female author. I always feel the characters could walk off the page. Favorite male writer, John Grisham. I also love Sue Grafton's alphabet series. Have just bought the latest books of the ladies and one of Grishams.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:33 PM

Until Tuesday..true story about a war vet who enlisted the help of a trained therapy dog, a golden retriever named Tuesday ...movie being made next summer...a very good read and quite interesting!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:00 PM

I loved the Fern Micheals, sisterhood series.

Have they checked your moms medicene(s?)? They over medicated my stepmom and she would hullicate,too. Once they adjusted her meds. she stop seeing things. just a thought.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:12 PM

I just finished reading MASIE DOBBS BY Jacqueline Schaffer,
a mystery during WWI
And THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY by Maryann Shaffer, letters written during WWII

Both books were very good.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:14 PM

I'm going through a bit of a Jodi Picoult phase right now. Love her writing style.
Also Janet Evanovich for a bit of a giggle.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:24 PM

Don't forget Geoge McDonald. He had a wonderful heart for God and wrote beautifully uplifting novels.