Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What books would you recommend to read? >

What books would you recommend to read?

What books would you recommend to read?

Old 10-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Banned

I just finished 2 really good books - The Submission by Amy Waldman and You Deserve Nothing by Alexander Maksik.
Both good stories and good writing - Hard, I find, to get both these days
Have just begun The Year We Left Home by Jean Thompson - so far it's good
Old 10-23-2011, 08:25 PM

The Five People You Meet in Heaven. My daughter read this and said everyone should read this, it teaches you that everything and everyone is placed in your life for a reason.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:57 PM

I've loved for many years the books of Louise Dickinson Rich, especially "We Took To The Woods" which paints a word picture of her love of those savage mountains and her love and respect for the few other people who live there. She paints word pictures of the scenery and her friends that are unforgettable. And the next one, "Lucky The Land" tells of her heartbreak when alone in the vast wilderness with her husband, who dies suddenly between one word and the next, and her life without him.

"Cheaper By The Dozen" and the sequel, "Belles On Their Toes" tells of living with 11 siblings and strong minded parents, the inventors of motion study in the early part of the 1900s.

Donna Andrews, who writes one of the funniest series of murder mysteries ever, and the funniest to date is "We'll Always Have Parrots", and her other series about a computer generated person and a middle aged secretary who take over their company from bad owners!!!!

Anne McCaffree's series of SF books, all are fascinating in their own way...but after wasting money on two written by her son I won't do THAT again. Anne's books ask you to suspend belief in one or two things, then paints strong characters that we can love or hate!! And in 2012 there's going to be a movie made from the first one of the series.

Elizabeth Peters, who writes several series, but the main one is of a Victorian lady, strong minded Amelia who is an archeologist and solves crimes. Another series is about an interesting and also strong minded lady called Jacqueline Kirby and she's worth reading about.

Patrick McManus, who writes some of the funniest stories of camping and fishing I've ever read. I reread them often.

Tony Hillerman...his Indian Reservation stories are marvelous and have even won awards given by the Indians themselves.

Arthur Upfield, who writes about a half black, half white Aussie detective in the mid or earlier 1900s. Napoleon Bonaparte (Bony) goes into the bush and solves crimes by using his brains. This series has even been used in colleges as history helps.

Jill Churchill, writes mainly about a crime solving widowed housewife.

Mary Daheim writes more than one series, but the one about Judith, the Bed and Breakfast Inn owner is down to earth and interesting.

Charlotte McCleod, who wrote about a lot of fascinating people, I love rereading her books.

And then there's the original Science Fiction writer, Jules Verne and his marvelous Mysterious Island and the grand master, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clark, so many interesting books to read they take up far too much time that should be used sitting in front of the sewing machine.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by nightquilter
The Five People You Meet in Heaven. My daughter read this and said everyone should read this, it teaches you that everything and everyone is placed in your life for a reason.
I did read this book and thought it was really good.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:02 PM

I really enjoy Nicholas Sparks , the stories are about towns in North Carolina, which I live in. Many of the places he mentions in the stories, I have been there or know about. He is a clean writer of love stories. No bad language in it.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:56 AM

I just finished a memoir called "My Year With Eleanor" by Nielle Hancock. It's a good fast, fun read. Kind of a bio/fiction book. I would highly recommend it. However, if you could afford it a Kindle is the way to go for take along books. I read books at home and take my Kindle with me when I leave. I probably have 90 some loaded and they were all free except one.

God bless you for what you do withyour mother.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:34 AM

If you like Janet Evanovich books, Laura Levine books are a riot to read.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:19 AM

I just finished reading Hunger Games. I bought a Nook and got one free book with it. So I chose this one. Wasn't sure I would care for it but I thought it was very interesting. It is written for teens but I am 65 and I really enjoyed it. I'll wait awhile before I read the second in the series. I can read anything Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Mary Higgins Clark. OMG hope my choice of authors doesn't say too much about my personality.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

I read most all types of books. I am reading George R.R. Martin's Game of Throne series. It's a long wonderful saga along the lines of Pillers of the Earth book series. The Hunger Games series are required reading in school now. I would recommend any parent or grandparent reading them. I loved the Harry Potter series.

My favorite all time books which I reread a lot are: "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair, "The Egg and I" by Bettye McDonald, "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck and "The Ladies of
Missalonghi" by Colleen McCullough If you haven't read the classics books of Austen, Bronte, Dickens, do! Also John Stienbeck's "Grapes of Wrath". I loved "Hawaii" by James Michener and any of his historical novels. The characters in my favorite books seem like old friends.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:28 AM

I like books by Fern Michaels, Nora Roberts, Susan Wiggins, James Patterson, Daniele Steel, Sidney Sheldon and Tom Clancy.