Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What are buying yourself for Christmas? >

What are buying yourself for Christmas?

What are buying yourself for Christmas?

Old 12-12-2014, 08:25 PM

new winter boots! my old ones were about 5-6 years old, and getting tired. i'll use them for snowplowing, etc. now i have nice new ones for "good". (my only "cybermonday" purchase, from my favorite shoe lady, who owns and runs Sven's clogs: clearance, plus an extra 20% off. the best things in life are half off...) books, too--i love finding the ones i want on amazon for 1 cent, plus shipping. ditto with music--CDs, used, for a little change, plus shipping. hubby and i are old enough that the only things we "need" are essentials. we are blessed beyond belief. our wedding anniversary is christmas eve, so our celebration is "ours", no matter how many others are there. we have reached 46 years, this year. we are both amazed--it doesn't seem that long. because of his health issues, every day is a gift to each other.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:38 PM

I got a needle advance for my longarm, a spare bobbin case also for the longarm. Got a new hat for me and gloves
Old 12-12-2014, 11:03 PM

I told my husband I would like to have a rotating cutting mat for Christmas. I showed him the one at Hancock's here in town and it was $52.00. He said okay. I told him to let me check at Walmart. I got it yesterday for $25.00. I was singing "Merry Christmas to me" through the store with him. haha It's a Fiskars 14" X 14" self-healing. I'm happy. I like practical gifts. A couple of years ago I asked for a manual can opener. He bought me an Oneida stainless steel one and I was so happy. I'm very low maintenance. haha
Old 12-13-2014, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Try overstock.com they don't have a huge selection but they do have good prices. Also try amazon the prices are not as good as overstock but that have a very large selection.
I was very fortunate this past week. A dear friend of mine had a double masectomy almost 2 years ago and her husband bought her an accuquilt go die cutter so that she could maybe do some quilting while she recovered. And they bought a bundle of different dies. Well she never used it and so it just sat in her closet. I had mentioned to her a couple of weeks ago that I was going to dig out all of my scrap fabrics and cut them into useable sizes and toss what couldnt be salvaged in the trash. She then told me that she has one with dies and is going to send it to me for Christmas!!! It came this week and I have had so much fun playing with it and using up tons of scraps. ) My daughter is making a clam shell quilt and started cutting out clam shell peices of fabric and I bought a die for the 4 inch clam shell die for $15.99 and Ill cut them out for her unless she wants to do it.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

I bought myself a years worth of lessons/clubs at my favorite quilt shop. I am taking wool applique. redwork and bom. This should keep me busy.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:39 AM

Red face

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I've already enjoyed one of my presents...My friend and I flew to Phoenix last Wednesday for the Fleetwood Mac concert, and flew back on Thursday. My second present will be January 16th....Fleetwood Mac in St Paul!! Can't wait!!

Last edited by Anniedeb; 12-16-2014 at 12:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-16-2014, 07:18 PM

My halogen lamp died so went to Joann's and they had Ott lights on sale. The standing one was regular $249.99 but got it for $89. and the table one was $99 and got it for 43.99 plus discounts! Giving DH money. We really don't need anything as we are truly blessed.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I somehow crushed my mounting on my engagement ring, so my new mounting is kinda my gift. Also needed 4 new tires so I guess that is too. Don't have money to spend on each other this year. This may sound dumb to some of you but all I ever wanted was a loving husband and my son. I have that now. I also live in my dream home, a condo I wanted since I was about 13-14. I also have a great cat. I've got it all.
Doesn't sound dumb at all, quite wonderful actually.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun View Post
We usually agree on one big item we would like - but this year I did step out and get a 10" Tablet that I can also take up to my sewing room and watch sewing videos on or to the kitchen for cooking videos and recipes - and don't need to take the lap top everywhere unless there is something else I need.

Marysewfun
That was my me gift 2 yea ago for that reason....recipes and quilting......a traveling encyclopedia........

This year my me gift....I went to an estate sale about two weeks ago and saw what I have wanted for a long time.......and the price was unbelievable low!--- less than $100.... A grandfather clock.......now I can hear those Westminster chimes each hour all day long...and he goes to "sleep" at the 9pm hour and wakes at 6am.......when GKs visit, they count the hour by the "bongs".......

Last edited by Geri B; 12-17-2014 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:58 PM

A tank of kerosene to replace the 250 gallons that was stolen (siphoned) out of my tank by some jerk! I am out almost $800 because of this theft! Nope, no other gifts this year...no money for them. Oh well...at least we'll be warm in the new year. (Yes, police report filed - home owner deductible too high to file claim - looking for security solutions to make sure it doesn't happen again...I think we have all bases covered at this point).