Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What to Charge for Babysitting?

Blog Entries
    I will be babysitting soon and have no idea what to charge. The children are 4 and 7. It will be most likely 8-9 hours a day. 5 days a week and when school starts I was asked to take the boy to school and pick up. The school is about 2 miles from my home. Is there a hourly rate or weekly rate to go by?

Blog Entries
    Call a few daycare centers and see what they are charging. I was paying $110 per week 15 years ago for one child and I had to use my lunch and break times to go get my daughter and run her to and from school myself.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The cheapest full-time babysitting around here is 125 a week per child. One lady charges 175 a week for the first child and 125 for the second.

Jim
    whatever you charge...first make sure that you are going to be comfortable with that fee...after it's set.. it's hard to change it...we watch our 4 grandsons in our home M-F (11+ hours a day) plus transport the eldest to and from school...give baths, do laundry, make sure homework is done and transport to swimming, football, soccer, baseball practices...if they weren't our grandkids...they couldn't afford us..for all we do.

Varies by where you live, whether these are relatives or friends or neighbors or just a job. If I was the parent, I would expect to pay less on a weekly basis than I'd pay for an evening (which is now about $6 per hour in my area.)
    In California, you are supposed to have a license to care for more than two unrelated-to-you children in your home. Be sure you check your homeowner's (and auto, if driving the kids) liability insurance to see that you are covered in case of injury.

Blog Entries
    Ask other working mothers how much they pay for baby sitting such as what you will be doing. Get two or three answers, then sit down and discuss this with the parent(s) of these children. And I'd suggest that a signed statement that this sum is what is what all agree with.
    And what about food, who pays what for that? Is either of them allergic to anything? Make sure that is spelled out.
    What about emergencies? You should have some sort of signed statement allowing you to take them to a doctor till one of the parents can be located and come to where the child is.

Blog Entries
    Wow a lot to think over. I will call daycares tomorrow and check with insurance company as well.

Blog Entries
    If you are going to charge less that a daycare would, I would make it part of the deal that you still get paid even if they take a sick day, personal day or vacation day from work. That is what I did when I did home daycare. That way you still get paid if the children dont come. It worked well for me.

I did home daycare until last Dec for the under 6 crowd my rates were $450, the under 2 crowd was $575 a month. I didn't really take care of school aged children but before and after at the schools in my area provided by YMCA is $189. Check with your state for regulations. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Get "it" in writing & you need to know what your state's laws are concerning being lisenced. Do you need to keep as many records as here in IL? Call some of the other ads in the newspapers, too. Home daycare may be at a different rate than someplace like Kindercare. I did home day care for 14 yrs.

Blog Entries
    I know it was a long time ago but in 1995 I had to pay for the next week by Friday of the previus week or my son couldn't go. I had to let her know what days (this was after school) he would be there. If I needed to change a day that was an additional charge, She wanted all kids picked up by 5:30 - if not it was $5.00 for every 15 minutes I was late. I was in realestate and my schedule was all over the place. It was so hard that I had to find someone else. I do understand that you don't want to get walked on. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Good luck! It all sounds soo complicated than it use to be!

I would be nervous about the liability involved in driving 2 children that young. Talk to your insurance agent. I got a big lecture back in the 60's for transporting fellow college students in my car.

Blog Entries
    Our insurance rider for a mill, is about 100 a year, my g/f pays 150 a week, and if her daughter does not go aday she still has to pay,

My neighbor is licensed and she charges $175/week I think. She provides meals for the not-school age kids. The bus picks up the ones that come before/after school.

Really, really make sure you're paying yourself. You do NOT want to be making $2/hr/kid by the time this is all said and done. You will resent it. And if you're helping out a family member because they "can't afford" regular day care or don't trust them, etc...check to see if they qualify for child care assistance, and what it would take for you to be their provider. That way you can have your tax dollars go to work for you, kwim? Sometimes you don't need to be licensed when it's for family members, or if you only watch one family's kids.

I have done Nanny jobs before and Hired a nanny for my kiddo. When I was a Nanny they put me on their car insurance and use of their car to drive the kid to where they need to go (miles do add up and with gas prices now a days.). if they don't let you use their car then you might want to put a millage agreement in at least while the kid/s are in your car. They also provided a cash card for use of the kid (Food and outings such as to the zoo or such), and to cover gas. After working in a daycare that had security cameras you might want to ask for a nanny cam to cover your hinny (at first you feel always watched, however after a while you don't notice anymore). Kids do not respect adults like they once have and they think lying to parents is a bonus to get you to do what they want you to do. If it weren't for the cameras a few of my coworkers would have lost their jobs.

Blog Entries
    Check with the local agency who regulates this.
    Chances are too, she will want to deduct this off of her income tax, so be prepared to pay taxes yourself too. She will need your SSN so the IRS WILL know to look for you adding it on as income :wink: So, factor this into what your net income will end up being :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Wow Wow and Wow I never thought about all this and they are not family members. Just a friend but I agree I don't want to end up asking for to littel and be miserable later. So I have been call day care centers. Here for the 4 year all day its $503.00 for the month and 550.00 for the boy because he is parttime when school starts and they say it cost more that way and plus add the transportation in.