Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What to Charge for Babysitting? >

What to Charge for Babysitting?

What to Charge for Babysitting?

Old 07-28-2011, 11:52 PM

I know it was a long time ago but in 1995 I had to pay for the next week by Friday of the previus week or my son couldn't go. I had to let her know what days (this was after school) he would be there. If I needed to change a day that was an additional charge, She wanted all kids picked up by 5:30 - if not it was $5.00 for every 15 minutes I was late. I was in realestate and my schedule was all over the place. It was so hard that I had to find someone else. I do understand that you don't want to get walked on. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:51 AM

Good luck! It all sounds soo complicated than it use to be!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:50 AM

I would be nervous about the liability involved in driving 2 children that young. Talk to your insurance agent. I got a big lecture back in the 60's for transporting fellow college students in my car.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:36 AM

Our insurance rider for a mill, is about 100 a year, my g/f pays 150 a week, and if her daughter does not go aday she still has to pay,
Old 07-29-2011, 06:54 AM

My neighbor is licensed and she charges $175/week I think. She provides meals for the not-school age kids. The bus picks up the ones that come before/after school.

Really, really make sure you're paying yourself. You do NOT want to be making $2/hr/kid by the time this is all said and done. You will resent it. And if you're helping out a family member because they "can't afford" regular day care or don't trust them, etc...check to see if they qualify for child care assistance, and what it would take for you to be their provider. That way you can have your tax dollars go to work for you, kwim? Sometimes you don't need to be licensed when it's for family members, or if you only watch one family's kids.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:19 AM

I have done Nanny jobs before and Hired a nanny for my kiddo. When I was a Nanny they put me on their car insurance and use of their car to drive the kid to where they need to go (miles do add up and with gas prices now a days.). if they don't let you use their car then you might want to put a millage agreement in at least while the kid/s are in your car. They also provided a cash card for use of the kid (Food and outings such as to the zoo or such), and to cover gas. After working in a daycare that had security cameras you might want to ask for a nanny cam to cover your hinny (at first you feel always watched, however after a while you don't notice anymore). Kids do not respect adults like they once have and they think lying to parents is a bonus to get you to do what they want you to do. If it weren't for the cameras a few of my coworkers would have lost their jobs.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Check with the local agency who regulates this.
Chances are too, she will want to deduct this off of her income tax, so be prepared to pay taxes yourself too. She will need your SSN so the IRS WILL know to look for you adding it on as income :wink: So, factor this into what your net income will end up being :D:D:D
Old 07-29-2011, 05:34 PM

Wow Wow and Wow I never thought about all this and they are not family members. Just a friend but I agree I don't want to end up asking for to littel and be miserable later. So I have been call day care centers. Here for the 4 year all day its $503.00 for the month and 550.00 for the boy because he is parttime when school starts and they say it cost more that way and plus add the transportation in.