Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What did you do with your wedding dress? >

What did you do with your wedding dress?

What did you do with your wedding dress?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hokieappmom
Mine is also boxed up and in the closet. Great idea to use it to make a christening gown. My daughter recently asked me after I made a formal dress for her if I would make her wedding dress. I laughed and told her "Not if you want me to be there." (Or give me at least a year to make it.)
Too funny!! :D
Old 05-27-2010, 09:46 AM

Did any of you see the story about the woman who left her wedding dress with her ex when they divorced? She told him he could do whatever he wanted with it. He's used it for all kinds of stuff including a tow rope, dog chew, shop cloth and many more. Thought it was kind of funny. Probably pretty good therapy for him. :lol:
Old 05-27-2010, 09:56 AM

I got mine back from being cleaned and preserved in January. We just got married last November. I'm not sure what the plan is for it yet but I think I'll keep it around for a bit.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grinster
Which one??? The first one I tossed into the dumpster as I drove away from the beautiful home we built on a small lake in SW MI. I wanted no reminders.

Exactly! I left a beautiful home on the beach in Ca, every thing I owned but two suitcases and two little babies. I never looked back.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:29 AM

Well, mine is on the Getting to know you thread. Since I just got married last September. It's still in my closet, waiting for some occasion that might warrant wearing it again.

When I was 20, I eloped and I wore a suit. No clue what ever happened to that. Good marriage, just not much of a wedding.

Last year, we got married at my SIL's and my 95 year old father in law and his 94 year old sister were our attendants. It was beautiful. Geezer fantasy wedding. My daughter catered it, his cousin made a beautiful cake and a fun time was had by all.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:09 AM

Mine all 9ft of silk brocade and an 18ft 3 tiered veil is hanging in my son's closet since 1993... I have never taken it out and tried it on again, nor do I have any idea what to do with it.

I have 2 boys so I not saving it for them.

Maybe I'll cut it up and do something with it...

Any ideas?

Theresa
Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned

Ditto to the 'which one?'

First one my mother made from three different patterns I showed her. I liked parts of all three so she created the perfect dress!
(Now you know where I get some of my creativity from). I made the hat with vale but don't know what happened to the hat.
THAT dress was worn many years and a divorce later as a pregnant bride for Halloween, then cut up and used to line baskets I was decorating and selling.

Second one - I wore black jeans a white camisole and a white fringed blazer - we had a motorcycle wedding. (Still have those jeans - I think) 365 guests rode in from 16 states!

Next - we won't talk about

Last - remarried to # 2 Still have the ivory gown hanging in my closet! Married in a campground on a mountain, my son drove me to the 'alter' on his brand new (borrowed) HD motorcycle!!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:25 AM

Mine is in a zippered bag in my dads closet. I will probably just end up selling it. It 's really fluffy and white. Not many people go with white anymore.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Ditto to the 'which one?'

First one my mother made from three different patterns I showed her. I liked parts of all three so she created the perfect dress!
(Now you know where I get some of my creativity from). I made the hat with vale but don't know what happened to the hat.
THAT dress was worn many years and a divorce later as a pregnant bride for Halloween, then cut up and used to line baskets I was decorating and selling.

Second one - I wore black jeans a white camisole and a white fringed blazer - we had a motorcycle wedding. (Still have those jeans - I think) 365 guests rode in from 16 states!

Next - we won't talk about

Last - remarried to # 2 Still have the ivory gown hanging in my closet! Married in a campground on a mountain, my son drove me to the 'alter' on his brand new (borrowed) HD motorcycle!!!!
Boy, have I lead a dull life!
:)
Old 05-27-2010, 11:52 AM

Mine is hanging in my hall closet. Been married since 1974. I made my veil and my dress...very simple, empire waist, straight skirt, scoop neck, peasant sleeves.

Don't know why I 'm saving it. I couldn't even get one leg into it any more, and it's too small for either of my daughters. Besides, after all the worry, work, and expense of the first one's wedding 2 yrs ago, we're offering to pay the other one to elope!