Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you call ............ >

What do you call ............

What do you call ............

Old 09-27-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
Originally Posted by Rhonda
Do you know why it was called an ice box? My mom was an antique dealer so I have seen the real ice boxes.
I remember iceboxes. My Grandma had one when I was little. The iceman would come and put a big block of ice in the top of it to keep things cold inside. He would carry it in with a big pair of metal tongs!
This is interesting as "yes" I know what a icebox is and now when someone says that food is still hot or warm don't put it in the fridge until it cools! Well "we can" now, but then if you did this it would have made that "expensive" piece of ice melt faster. Thinking about this....we now have high electric bills and back then they "could" have had high "ice" bill (if warm food was put in the icebox) every month. Heck my grand kids think they can keep the fridge door open as long as it takes them (looking for food) to decide what they want to eat as if they are watching a video.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by lyndad
My mother and father were from Oklahoma, but lived in Texas since they were young. Dinner was at noon and supper was the evening meal.
That's they way it was with my grandparents. I think for them lunch was something you put in a sack or lunch bucket and took to work.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:57 AM

I thought I would share this.. it seems to fit..
My sister sent this to me, and yes, we are truly "Southern Women"

Southern women know their vacation spots:
The beach
The rivuh
The crick

Southern women know everybody's first name:
Honey
Darlin'
Shugah

Southern women know the movies that speak to their hearts:
Fried Green Tomatoes
Driving Miss Daisy
Steel Magnolias
Gone With The Wind

Southern women know their religions:
Baptist
Methodist
Football

Southern women know their cities dripping with Southern charm:
Chawl'stn
S'vanah
Foat Wuth
N'awlins
Addlanna

Southern women know their elegant gentlemen:
Men in uniform
Men in tuxedos
Rhett Butler

Southern girls know the 3 deadly sins:
Having bad hair and nails
Having bad manners
Cooking bad food

More Suthen-ism's:
Only a Southerner knows the difference between a hissie fit and a conniption fit,
and that you don't "HAVE" them, you "PITCH" them.
_____

Only a Southerner knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip greens, peas, beans, etc., make up "a mess."
_____

Only a Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder."
_____

Only a Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is, as in:
"Going to town, be back drekly (directly)."
_____

Even Southern babies know that "Gimme some sugar" is not a request for the white, granular, sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl in the middle of the table.
_____

All Southerners know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.
_____

Only a Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad.
If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin'!
_____

Only Southerners grow up knowing the difference between "right near" and
"a right far piece." They also know that "just down the road" can be 1 mile or 20.
_____

Only a Southerner both knows and understands the difference between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and po' white trash.
_____

No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.
_____

A Southerner knows that "fixin" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.
_____

Only Southerners make friends while standing in lines, ... and when we're "in line,"... we talk to everybody!
_____

Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're related, even if only by marriage.
_____

In the South, y'all is singular, all y'all is plural.
_____

Southerners know grits come from corn and how to eat them.
_____

Every Southerner knows tomatoes with eggs, bacon, grits, and coffee are perfectly wonderful; that red eye gravy is also a breakfast food; and that fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast food.
_____

When you hear someone say, "Well, I caught myself lookin'," you know you are in the presence of a genuine
Southerner!
_____

Only true Southerners say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it -- we do not like our tea unsweetened. "Sweet milk" means you don't want buttermilk.
_____

And a true Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway.
You just say,"Bless her heart"... and go your own way.
_____

To those of you who are still a little embarrassed by your Southerness: Take two tent revivals and a dose of sausage gravy and call me in the morning. Bless your heart!
_____
And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this Southern stuff...bless your hearts, I hear they are fixin' to have classes on Southernness as a second language!
_____

And for those that are not from the South but have lived here for a long time, all y'all need a sign to hang on y'alls front porch that reads "I'm not from the South, but I got here as fast as I could."
Old 09-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I have one more. When we moved here I couldn't figure out why they called a grocery cart a buggy and a beanie hat a tobaggon (sp?). Go figure.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:06 AM

Thanks Lynn....those are all very familiar to me...bless your heart!! :D
Old 09-27-2010, 11:35 AM
tmw

Boy, are this could make a good book!!! i love it. and Bless your heart.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:37 AM

When I was in jr. high we made up a survey and sent it out to differant schools around the US. This survey had questions pertaining to what words you used for say a sofa. Do you call it a sofa or a couch?
Or do you say pop or soda? or something else entirely?

My MIL was raised in the hills of Missouri in the 30's. She calls a recipe a receipt. This is a generational thing rather than a regional thing. But it is interesting to me to hear what words people use for things or phrases that are regional.

My DH uses his mom's phrase "It's raining like the gits" But noone knows what a gits is. Just something she picked up as a child.
She also says "Poking on the pounds" which puts a picture in my head of someone using their fingers to literally poke the fat into the their side!! Like applying the fat straight to my thighs instead of eating it! LOL

I would love to hear any phrases or words like this.

What do you call your couch? And is there a differance to you as to what constitutes a couch or a sofa?
I call a road that has small rock on it a gravel road. My DH calls it a rock road.

Do you have the idea? I would love to hear other's experiences with words!
My mom from East Texas had these and I catch myself saying the same thing.
Wanting a rinse on her hair was wrench,
Cooking pots were stewers
soft drinks were sody water
I'm a fixin to do that
I swannee was her favorite
And I ain't never heard such
flat as a flitter
dinner was middle of the day
supper at night
she put up the clothes after folding them, my LA friend said kept the clothes
I's a wander instead of wonder
mop your tracks out behind you when you leave, if you were mad and wasn't coming back
gather the eggs ,LA friend picked the eggs
tomaters
taters
Whoopee when she would get hot or sweating
and she lived on a dirt road
and the mail man was a mail carrier
pickup for truck
sour milk for buttermilk
icebox for refrigerator
cook stove for stove
zinc for sink
lard for grease and I could just go on and on, but that's enough for now
Old 09-27-2010, 11:49 AM
tmw

My 87 yr. old Mother says zinc instead of sink, and i can't get her to say it right, she was born in va. and she says her way is the right way.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by sak658
When I was in jr. high we made up a survey and sent it out to differant schools around the US. This survey had questions pertaining to what words you used for say a sofa. Do you call it a sofa or a couch?
Or do you say pop or soda? or something else entirely?

My MIL was raised in the hills of Missouri in the 30's. She calls a recipe a receipt. This is a generational thing rather than a regional thing. But it is interesting to me to hear what words people use for things or phrases that are regional.

My DH uses his mom's phrase "It's raining like the gits" But noone knows what a gits is. Just something she picked up as a child.
She also says "Poking on the pounds" which puts a picture in my head of someone using their fingers to literally poke the fat into the their side!! Like applying the fat straight to my thighs instead of eating it! LOL

I would love to hear any phrases or words like this.

What do you call your couch? And is there a differance to you as to what constitutes a couch or a sofa?
I call a road that has small rock on it a gravel road. My DH calls it a rock road.

Do you have the idea? I would love to hear other's experiences with words!
My mom from East Texas had these and I catch myself saying the same thing.
Wanting a rinse on her hair was wrench,
Cooking pots were stewers
soft drinks were sody water
I'm a fixin to do that
I swannee was her favorite
And I ain't never heard such
flat as a flitter
dinner was middle of the day
supper at night
she put up the clothes after folding them, my LA friend said kept the clothes
I's a wander instead of wonder
mop your tracks out behind you when you leave, if you were mad and wasn't coming back
gather the eggs ,LA friend picked the eggs
tomaters
taters
Whoopee when she would get hot or sweating
and she lived on a dirt road
and the mail man was a mail carrier
pickup for truck
sour milk for buttermilk
icebox for refrigerator
cook stove for stove
zinc for sink
lard for grease and I could just go on and on, but that's enough for now
I would swear you and I were kin! <winkwink>
Old 09-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Banned

We had POP as a kid,a sofa or couch was a DIVAN or a DAVENPORT,,we cooked a MESS of greens,caught a MESS of fish,,and a hot dog was always a WEINIE.