Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you call ............ >

What do you call ............

What do you call ............

Old 09-27-2010, 09:59 AM

or- for distance- as the crow flies- come on- how far does the crow fly? and how do you know that? :)

I like- when I have to explain how long I've known someone, but they don't want to be embarrassed- I say- I've known them since they were knee high to a grasshopper.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

This is so fascinating to me.

We washed windows and dishes. My husband used to say "warshed", he was born in OK. My Mom would tell him WASHED, and he just looked at her like she was crazy.
Flat as a pancake.
We used to say "Pee like a Russian Racehorse" also.
It was raining cats and dogs.
We still have "swamp coolers" and sometimes your house would be like a swamp with water running down the kitchen cabinets.
We have arm pits.
We also have Chicken Fried Steak, which I wondered why when it didn't have chicken in it.
We had bags or sacks. If you asked for a poke you would probably get poked.
"Working cattle" to me was putting them in a schute and dehorning, branding, cutting them, and giving shots. To my uncle who lived about an hours drive from us it meant using a horse and rounding them up to move form one area to another.
Gravel roads were covered with gravel.
Dirt roads did not have gravel on them, they were dirt.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barbm
or- for distance- as the crow flies- come on- how far does the crow fly? and how do you know that? :)

I like- when I have to explain how long I've known someone, but they don't want to be embarrassed- I say- I've known them since they were knee high to a grasshopper.
Yes...
Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 AM
tmw

what do you call the thing in the bathroom that you use, well you might call it the toilet, the john,the throne, well, back east, we called it the hopper, [hop-per], out west when you say that word, evverbody just looks at you funny,and says what did you say???
Old 09-27-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Do you know why it was called an ice box? My mom was an antique dealer so I have seen the real ice boxes.
I remember iceboxes. My Grandma had one when I was little. The iceman would come and put a big block of ice in the top of it to keep things cold inside. He would carry it in with a big pair of metal tongs!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:28 AM

one more, in s.c. and also in Ala.they cook their cakes bread cookies and so on wereas we always baked ours. this keeps life intresting. I am glad the Lord made us all different.I love this site but I am not getting much of anything else done.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 AM

LOL at all the sayings....this is good. Soda is Pop, couch is also davenport not often called a sofa! Gravel road is used. However another word is what do you call ground up beef with sauce on a bun...BBQ's? Maidrite? Sloppy Joe?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by tmw
what do you call the thing in the bathroom that you use, well you might call it the toilet, the john,the throne, well, back east, we called it the hopper, [hop-per], out west when you say that word, evverbody just looks at you funny,and says what did you say???
a HOPPER here is a belly dump trailer used on road contruction equipment, or farming equipment. However, did hear this when I was in Kansas they called it the hopper (lol)
Old 09-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

Sloppy Joe
Old 09-27-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by momymom
I grew up in TN, and visited my DGM in the NC mountains quiet often. Tomatoes were maters, Tobacco was baccer. We drank sody pop, and sat on the couch. A paper bag was a sack. Poke was a salad, or a paper bag. Pot likker was the liquid in the bottom of the pot after you cooked your greens. Likkered up meant you were drunk. Wrenched means rinse. Over yonder could mean across the yard or 5 miles down the road. Gully washer is a heavy downpour. There are many more, I just can't "member" them.
I 'member all these too growing up in West Virginia. We played in the creek, lived in the holler and also would holler at someone a fur piece away. We kept pop in the frigadair, sat on the couch or davenport, had lunch at noon and supper later.
Things were flat as a flitter, a paper bag was a poke. Our underpants were step ins. When you were in trouble Mom was gonna skin your hide.Sometimes she would tan your hide or you would get a switching.
It would pour rain and get colder then a well diggers butt. We would warsh when we were dirty and a baby was a cute as a speckled pup.
I wish I could remember all the expressions I heard growing up. When I lived in Arkansas I heard a lot of the same expressions and a lot of different ones. It brings back a lot of good memories!!! :thumbup: :D