Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you call ............ >

What do you call ............

What do you call ............

Old 09-28-2010, 05:51 PM

WE had an icebox and davenport. My mother always said that she talked faster than a sick birds a on a hot tin roof.Have been on here over an hour. It has been fun.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:54 PM

I have a refrigerator, My Dh call's it an ice box. I mow the lawn . He cuts the grass. I have bread and butter he says butter bread. I have to get a hold of someone he has to get a holt of. And we are both born, bread and raised in CO.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:01 PM

Ok you guys I'm from the south as in Georgia and we always had a coke, couch, outhouse or slop jar for bathroom, and it was bless your peapicking heart and my MIL said that she was as poor as jobs turkey, we has a mess of collards, turnip greens, fish, beans, and momma was gonna skin us alive if we didnot behave that is all I can member right now
retiac
Old 09-28-2010, 06:22 PM

"Fixin' to"... is common here in Texas. We moved here from Missouri and my daughters first day at school (she was 8) she came home saying "fixin' to"... (and I cringed) and it continues to this day and she is 31
Old 09-28-2010, 06:30 PM

I say pop & sofa. When I was young and would go to visit relatives in TN they called it a "cold drink". I've heard of soft drink, but never cold drink.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by MinnieKat
I call it a couch, but when I was young my mom and dad called it a davenport.
My Gramma used to call the couch a davenport too. I googled it and apparently it was a brand name of a company that made couches. A. H. Davenport Company.
I call bubbly drinks sodas and say couch. Since I moved to Texas I discovered that a hard rain storm is called
"A frog strangler" :lol:
Old 09-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

WOW I started this thread yesterday and we are up to 12 pages in two days!!

I am so enjoying all the posts!! Thanks everyone!! Keep em coming!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:47 PM

we called our summer home up on the mountain a cabin, by the lake, river or ocean, like on Cape Cod it's a cottage or a camp in maine.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
When I was in jr. high we made up a survey and sent it out to differant schools around the US. This survey had questions pertaining to what words you used for say a sofa. Do you call it a sofa or a couch?
Or do you say pop or soda? or something else entirely?

My MIL was raised in the hills of Missouri in the 30's. She calls a recipe a receipt. This is a generational thing rather than a regional thing. But it is interesting to me to hear what words people use for things or phrases that are regional.

My DH uses his mom's phrase "It's raining like the gits" But noone knows what a gits is. Just something she picked up as a child.
She also says "Poking on the pounds" which puts a picture in my head of someone using their fingers to literally poke the fat into the their side!! Like applying the fat straight to my thighs instead of eating it! LOL

I would love to hear any phrases or words like this.

What do you call your couch? And is there a differance to you as to what constitutes a couch or a sofa?
I call a road that has small rock on it a gravel road. My DH calls it a rock road.

Do you have the idea? I would love to hear other's experiences with words!
I have a porch but when I was a child I had a piazza. I have a living room but as a child I had parlor. My grandparents had "portiers" instead of doors between wide doorways. (a type of curtain made of heavy material like velvet.)We call ours a couch.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Originally Posted by cjomomma
I have a couch, an ice box, I like soda and my dad drives a truck for a living and has a pick-up truck at home. We have winders (windows) and pillars on the bed. I say over yonder (over there). Mind you I grew up in Ca. but I speak like this. LOL.
Carrie, don't pillars hurt your head ??? hahahahaha :D
Lmbo!! Actually mine are nice and fluffy. LOL. I remember when DH and were dating he never knew what I was talking about. He finally asked me what the h__l is an ice box? Anybody know what an ice chest is? I won't give the answer yet.
Could that be a "window box?"