Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you call ............ >

What do you call ............

What do you call ............

Old 09-28-2010, 09:21 PM

I grew up on a farm & we had breakfast, dinner & lunch was about 3:00 in the afternoon when you brought "lunch" out to the men in the field & supper. I still have a hard time calling dinner lunch but I have to most of the time because I am after all "a lunch lady" at school. I have a couch & we also used to refer to it as a davenport, we had a living room & a parlor & I drink pop. Some of these new terms are hard to get used to when you were brought up with certain ones.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:23 PM

We had a hide -A-bed and when something was hot ….it was hotter than a popcorn fart. If it was cold it was colder than a well digger’s rear end. Holy Cow…See Ya or Catch you latter.. To phone you Ring someone or I’ll ring you all later….Holler over fer you leave sewun we can be kipen an eye out fer you all.
Friend in NY invited me to her potty (party)
Old 09-28-2010, 10:05 PM

My mom had one she would say in CO. She would use it when someone was really angry or when it was really hot. "It's/Their hotter than a fart on a hot skillet". This still makes me chuckle 'cuz mamma never swore.

A grandmother is mawmaw and a grandfather is a pawpaw.
A great-grandmother and great-grandfather are peemaw and a peepaw. Go figure!
I live in a holler, go down the road a fer piece, drink soda, sit on a couch, go to town.
Winter can be colder than a well diggers a** or colder than a witches left titty in a brass bra.
I drive a pick-up and my son the trucker drives a truck.
A pole cat is a skunk, a ground hog is a varmint, a horse is a hay-burner.
We drink sweet tea but if you ask for sweet tea made
1/2 and 1/2 it means half sweet half unsweet (tried
that in CO one time and they actually put half and half in and told me the suger was on the table).
"Give me some suger" means you get a kiss and a hug.
A cellar is actually a root cellar out doors with four walls and a door to keep critters out that you store your taters and 'put up' (canned goods you canned yourself) in fer the winner (for the winter).
I use awl in the car not oil, wadder not water, crick not creek.
I can order 'red-eye' gravy, grits, greens, polk (means a salad), chicken fried steak that is made with beef.
And there is a difference between a red-neck, hillbilly, and 'po white trash'.
This one was fun.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by katiebear1
I was born and raised in CO. and now live in KY. My Mom was born in WVA and lived in PA in her early adulthood. She had this saying Instead of saying"we need to tidy or straighten up the house "she would say we need to red up the house. Anyone else heard that?
Yup. My DH who was raised in the finger lakes region of NY says that. First time he said it I had no clue what he was talking about. Now I say it all the time.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:48 PM

Unless we have been unduly influenced by American TV and media, we generally call 'pop' a 'soft drink' or 'splits' if we are adding it to liquor.
A 'sofa' is called a 'lounge' and a 'sidewalk' is a 'footpath'.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:00 PM

One of my favorite 'regionals' is; "the mountain is out". That is Seattle-speak for, It's a bright clear day. My husband always called any surface in the house with a flat top, a stand. As in "It's on the stand". Made for several friendly arguments as to which 'stand", in what room, was he referring to? When I lived in Tennessee, People would ask if I could "ride them to the store". (Give them a ride!) That one always gave my a visual that would make me laugh.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Deecee
By golly could I start a list ..... but I will just comment on soda which we call soft drink or lemonade, we sit on the couch and live on a gravel road.

At the moment its raining like the dickens.
Like Deecee - (Victoria Aust.) Between us I reckon we could come up with a page or more full of differences between USA and Aust. and another half page for here between our Eastern and Western States. I am in Adelaide, Sth Aus., we sit on the lounge or lounge chairs, drink soft drink, live on a dirt road, drive a ute, (pick up, truck) or 4x4 (SUV) and our 'trucks' are anything from a small carrier truck, tip truck or semi-trailer.
Hey Deecee where did the phrase 'send her down hughie' - referring to rain come from?
Mind you I was born in Melbourne and my mum was a Vic and we spent so much time between SA & Vic, so I'm a bit mixed up. Jen
Old 09-29-2010, 01:20 AM

Gee! I'm having fun. Imagine a French-Canadian coming from a family where no one spoke English, married to a bilingual Irish lad. I feel my head buzzing with all those new words.

I do have an explanation for the sink called or pronounced zink in certain places. My grandmother who only spoke French also called her sink a zink simply because the first one were simply made of zinc. It makes sense because in France in the cafés (coffee shops) the counter made of metal is also called a zinc
Old 09-29-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Do you know why it was called an ice box? My mom was an antique dealer so I have seen the real ice boxes.
We used to buy blocks of ice from the ice plant for the ice box which was on the back porch. The kids used to get the ice chips when the ice man delivered the ice. We had to keep a pan under the ice box for the melted water to and watch it because it would sometimes runover and what a mess to clean up.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

here on Long Guy Land (Long Island NY) we call it sodah (soda)