Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you call ............ >

What do you call ............

What do you call ............

Old 09-29-2010, 01:12 PM

Raised in Michigan we called it 'pop' here in colorado I call it 'soda' .BTW grits are southern version of polenta ( corn mush) very Yummy w/ butter! I say 'your SH*#t's in the wind'
if I'm really mad at someone, I don't know what it's supposed to mean, but it is funny. I always say ' We have to get the heck owwies'! when we're late for something, it's from F Troop in the 70's. I use the word 'jones-en' when I want something REALLY bad, that one's from the 80's , a drug reference...... they all make my husband laugh, so it's a win-win.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:11 PM

For my DG's they know that a Pop is ther Grand father and a sodee is a drink with sugar. The little tots call him papa and the older they get they shorten it to Pop
Old 09-29-2010, 02:32 PM

Rhonda I think these various sayings are all fascinating -

In this area we say it has been or is "raining cats and dogs" meaning it has been raining a lot.
If some one has been doing something in a hurry then they have been "going like the clappers"
If I have been very busy then I have often been "flat out drinkin like a lizard"

I know there are many more sayings that I use or say from time to time but right now they escape me.

Maybe1day
Old 09-29-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Barbm
or- for distance- as the crow flies- come on- how far does the crow fly? and how do you know that? :)

I like- when I have to explain how long I've known someone, but they don't want to be embarrassed- I say- I've known them since they were knee high to a grasshopper.
These are typical English sayings!! I.m sitting on my settee reading all these!! Fascinating!! Divided by a common language!!!! :lol:
Old 09-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Banned

it is a couch not a sofa in my house. soda not pop. DD ex boyfriend was from GA they went grocery shopping and he said he would go get the buggy. DD said what did the Amish arrive. He meant the shopping cart. What I hate I positivly hate is an Ohio expression. When you speak to someone and they don't hear or understand you they don't say excuse me could you repeat that the say PLEASE!!!!! What the heck does that mean. Someone had to tell me what please meant in OHIOAN language. Silly state that I moved to. I swear you need a passport to enter.

I was from Long Island and yes it is an island so people from there say I live ON the island when foreigners/not long islanders speak of Long Island they say you live IN long Island NO I live ON it, thank you very much.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:42 PM

When I was a kid we used to call the couch a "chesterfield in Canada. Thats long long time ago.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:47 PM

Where I'm from we refer to a car with only one headlight a one eyed bandit, I drink soda, my couch is well um a couch!
Old 09-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

In SE Iowa we do say I'm going to pick up the living room (clean the living room) or whatever room you are cleaning.

My mom and I have a friendly argument about next weekend. Today is Wed. If I say it I mean 2 days from now. If she says it she means a week from 2 days from now.

I say move the date up meaning change Sept 27 to Sept 29. She would say move the date back.

Do you go up to the town north of you or do you go down to it? My mom says down and I say up. Burlington is 30 miles slightly northeast of us. She says go down to Burlington I say go up to Burlington.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:05 PM

Here in Nl. I am sitting on my Chesterfield drinking a soft drink
[coke], the stopper[cap] was hard to get off. It is raining cats and dogs now, when it gets colder I will wear me Vamps[ wool socks] outdoors [ outside]. Today I warshed me clothes and warshed the floors. Tomorrow I am not going to turn a flipper[Not going to do any work]
Growing up the " back bridge "was called "platform","over there
was "over der", "do you have any", was "have des got arn",and "over in a while" was "over bin by"
In the summer we have lots of nippers and have you ever fell in the stinging neddles.
It has been a great laugh reading all the sayings,

Thanks Rhonda .
Ada
Old 09-29-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Suzan Larrimore
Originally Posted by katiebear1
I was born and raised in CO. and now live in KY. My Mom was born in WVA and lived in PA in her early adulthood. She had this saying Instead of saying"we need to tidy or straighten up the house "she would say we need to red up the house. Anyone else heard that?
Wow! I had forgotten that one. We red up the house all the time. We also picked up the floor.
Interesting. Totally new one to me. :)