Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you call ............ >

What do you call ............

What do you call ............

Old 09-30-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
What do you call a meal where everyone who comes brings a prepared portion of the meal?

In upstate NY they were called "dish-to-pass" dinners. In Ohio no one ever heard of that term. They are called pot luck dinners, or covered dish dinners.

What do you call them?

This topic is so much fun and extremely interesting to read!

We call them pot lucks as well.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 AM

I'm a soda person. When I visited Detroit when I was 16 was the first time I heard of Pop. My dad called the couch a chesterfield. I think that was a brand name. I remember my grandmother calling our car a buggy but as I got older she called it the machine.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 AM

OMG! Sandpat - that profile picture is hilarious! Sorry, off topic!
Old 09-30-2010, 02:01 PM

Where I live you take a plate - same as a pot luck dinner, has caused some laughs (and embarrassment) for those unfamiliar with the term as on occasion a person will literally turn up with an empty plate :) instead of something to share.

Maybe1day
Old 09-30-2010, 04:15 PM

Another old favorite was putting 'sirp' on my flapjacks! My grandmother, southern belle that she was, always had milk and biscuits, instead of milk and cookies.
My favorite episode with pronunciation was when I went to work for a Japanese company. In Japan, you are addressed as "Your last name-san" which is a term of respect. The first day at work, we were meeting all the supervisors, who all spoke Japanese, with a little English, but just barely. When they came to me, I said my name was Logsdon. My supervisor looked at me kind of funny, lowered his gaze, and said very quietly..."You have first name I may use?" I smiled and said yes that would be fine. I said my first name is Kelly. He did the head smack gesture and said very slowly "Kedysan?" I spent the whole time I worked there as "Kedysan". There is no 'L' sound in the Japanese language, nor does g-s-d fall in that order in a word outside of Norway. Every once in a while I run into people I worked with, (Americans) who still greet me as "Kedysan". :-))
Old 09-30-2010, 04:40 PM

My very refined mother always said "expelled gas" as in "Did someone just expell gas?" I have never been able to say the other word that is commonly used today. =-)
It is not a regional thing, just made me think of my mom.
I miss her. She did a good job of making us good people.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tallulah
My very refined mother always said "expelled gas" as in "Did someone just expell gas?" I have never been able to say the other word that is commonly used today. =-)
It is not a regional thing, just made me think of my mom.
I miss her. She did a good job of making us good people.
I see you are from Central Louisiana. My DD's MIL is from there. They go down every summer for 2 weeks. Betty(DD's MIL) used to cook alot of cajun dishes and now my DD does most of the cookin. They bring back beaudoin(sp?) everytime they come back.

I will have to ask Betty or Sara(DD) for the things they laugh about Betty saying. She grew up speaking French. But they have some hilarious speaking habits!
Old 10-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

I grew up in Florida and we called a couch a Divan. Also I have a friend who calls a recipe a receipt. Funny how this works.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
it is a couch not a sofa in my house. soda not pop. DD ex boyfriend was from GA they went grocery shopping and he said he would go get the buggy. DD said what did the Amish arrive. He meant the shopping cart. What I hate I positivly hate is an Ohio expression. When you speak to someone and they don't hear or understand you they don't say excuse me could you repeat that the say PLEASE!!!!! What the heck does that mean. Someone had to tell me what please meant in OHIOAN language. Silly state that I moved to. I swear you need a passport to enter.

I was from Long Island and yes it is an island so people from there say I live ON the island when foreigners/not long islanders speak of Long Island they say you live IN long Island NO I live ON it, thank you very much.
Another thing we say in Ohio when we don't hear something is "I'm sorry" with a questioning tone to it.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Banned

over here it is sofa ,settee is deemed to be common.
they say it is raining cats and dogs or like stair rods.
a miserable looking person is defined as "it looks as tho they have peed on a nettle!!
here [not where I originated] they say set meaning let or leased property, but pronouciaton is odd with Christmas being christMUS, station being statSHUN---------after 26 yrs I,ve got used to it!!!