Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you call ............ >

What do you call ............

What do you call ............

Old 09-28-2010, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tallulah
Ok, do you say shopping cart or buggy? Most of the time it is a buggy to me. I always get a "buggy" to push my purse around in, even if I am going in for two items. =-)
Shopping cart.... to me, a "buggy" is something you ride in, a baby buggy, for example.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:52 AM

These are all so funny! Northwest arkansas says "It's raining cat and dogs." For a low spot in the land it is called "Holler". When I was a child, we lived on the top of a hill and all around us were "Hollers".
Old 09-28-2010, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbin along
My Kansas-raised mom used to worsh and rench the dishes. I learned to worsh my face with a worsh rag. In Nebraska, a heavy rain is a toad-strangler. I drink pop and sit on the couch. I fix a cassarole for dinner, but my Minnisota friend fixes "hot dish." In Colorado, we have license plates, in Okla they are tags (pronounced taigs.)To me,a crik is a very small stream, a creek is a bit larger.
Us Minnesotans eat lots of hot dishes, also if you are out and ask for a diet whatever, you get either Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke. When we go to Burger King we ask for our hamburgers "off the grill" because we have a "fur (far) piece to go". That just means fresh grilled hamburger, no microwave heatup, make 'em good and hot because we have a ways to go to get home! This has been a terrific thread. We also say Yah, sure, you betcha. And the most important is when someone says "Could you do me a favor?" A Minnesotan says "Yes" without knowing what it is. Never says "What!" We love Jell-O. Jello for a salad, Jello for a dessert and if you are sick or have a cold, Jello will cure it all! It's raining cats and dogs - hey, better than hailing taxis!!!!!!!! Holy Cats! Edie
Old 09-28-2010, 03:46 AM

Never heard pop until I moved to Ohio. It got to where we started ordering by name. It would be Coke or Pepsi. It was easier that way when we would travel back to St. Louis.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by txwildflower
Originally Posted by hobo2000
Sofa, soda, ink pen uses cartridges for legal purposes usually as opposed to roller ball and ball point pens. Here we are in the process of having out chimneys cleaned but they call them chimleys, wash is warsh and Warshington DC. Its spittin rain.
Wayyyyyyyyy back when I was in high school we used Ink Pens and they did not have cartridges. you put the tip of the ink pen in the ink (Script's)and refilled it. I used an Esterbrook Ink Pen.

I remember those!!!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:11 AM

Some of my friends and family are VERY, VERY Southern. I can be, especially if I'm around them, but I can usually make my accent disappear if I want. Usually. ;)

Some of the things they/we say are:

Coke. It's ALL Coke. Doesn't matter if it's a different brand or another flavor. :mrgreen:

I have a single male friend who "carries" girls out on dates. I bet his arms get tired! :lol:

DH's mom has played a game of "chest" a few times over the years. You know ... the game with pawns and knights and bishops? :mrgreen:

DH "warshes" his hands before he eats, and according to him, you "warsh" your clothes in "warshing powders".

"Y'all." (I'm guilty of that one!)

My dad runs off stray dogs by yelling, all in one word, "Gidonouttaheah!"

"Cent". Doesn't matter if it's one cent or fifty of them. It's still "fifty cent".

A "zapper" is a TV remote (I'm guilty of that one, too!). Or a "clicker". I've heard both.

Units of measurement or direction: "Tad", "smidge", "over yonder", "that a-ways"

The round fellow who comes by at Christmas is "Santy Claws".

That stuff in a river is "wadder". You'll also find "wadder" in a "crick".

"Kaint" ... as in "I just kaint believe this!"

"Agin" ... as in "Here we go agin!"

I've heard one girl refer to her kitchen lineoleum as a "rug". She often mentioned sweeping her "rug", and it took me forever to figure out what she meant. I always thought rugs were those fuzzy carpet-like things! :mrgreen:
Old 09-28-2010, 04:23 AM

Also my husband is from North Carolina and sometimes calls me " love" which I really like ! hee hee The thing he says the most often without thinking is : "Lord have mercy! " I just love when he says that!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:52 AM

When I was in grade school, each desk had an ink well (with ink in it). You dipped your pen in for ink prior to writing, thus an ink pen.
Here in Alabama they call a local town..Mad-rid. In Spain that town is called Mu-drid.
When I taught Kindg. I learned how important it was to use "y'all" instead of you all. If you say "y'all sit down", you aren't singling anyone out. They all sit down.
We had an ice box at my Grandma's for a few years. The ice truck came down the street, looked at the sign in your window to see how many ice blocks you needed, and brought it in. As kids we ran out to the truck and ate some of the ice chips on the back of the truck. I love ice to this day!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:02 AM

It is interesting to hear different ways of speaking. In Richmond, VA they say-I like that right much. In the Blue Ridge mts. of VA 40 years ago a tenant farmer spoke of bean time - lunch, a dram - for a drink which sounded to my husband and me like the influence of old English.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:03 AM

In my house we drink soda, but most people in Minnesota drink pop. We sit on a couch, but my MIL, who lives in southeast Wisconsin sits on a davenport! We have lunch and supper. For a car with only one headlight, we call it a padiddle! My husband grew up drinking out of a bubbler vs a drinking fountain or water fountain. I also use a binder in my hair, instead of a rubber band. These are fun to read!