Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you call ............ >

What do you call ............

What do you call ............

Old 09-28-2010, 05:47 AM

DH had an aunt who called Cokes, Pepsi, etc. "Belly Wash". She refered to weight gain as "keeping the wrinkles pouched out". She aslo shopped at "Uncle John's Sears." My grandmother called her couch a Davenport. When planning a trip, a visit, etc. we always say, "The Lord's will and the creek don't rise."
Old 09-28-2010, 06:05 AM

What kind of coke {soda} do you want? What are you fixin to do? Cut the light off.{or on} Let me get a buggy {grocery cart}. This topic is interesting. See y'all later, I'm fixin to git busy and do something. lol
Old 09-28-2010, 06:19 AM

I call a road that has small rock on it a gravel road. My DH calls it a rock road.

I call it a dirt road.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:35 AM

In my world soda is called "tonic". I think this is basically a Boston term since most people here in Maine look at me with blank stares when I ask for a tonic. I had one person ask if I was feeling ill when I said "tonic".

Sofa's are couch's in my world.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:49 AM

we used to call a sofa a davenport or couch, pop, inkpen,i think it depends on where you grow up and the expressions of words but it also depends on the people you are around as to what you pick up on. have a good day :)
Old 09-28-2010, 07:30 AM

We had an ice box when I grew up in very rural Kansas and I still call it that. And I still warsh things. My kids love to tease me about it. My uncle always "hit the hay", went to bed. My Daddy always called it "pop". I love to hear my Texas friends talk about carrying someone someplace. I have a picture in my mind of them actually carrying the person. When I lived in upstate NY "a coffee" was ordered whereas in CA they said a cup of coffee. Regular coffee in NY was with cream and sugar.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 AM

I live in Minnesota but my daughter went to school in Wisconsin. We call it a drinking fountain but the friends form the eastern side of Wis. call it a bubbler.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:14 AM

We had a cloak room too!
Old 09-28-2010, 08:37 AM

I created a new expression when I was in Florida! Went to have breakfast with a girlfriend who ordered her eggs *sunnyside up*. *A couple of days after, I went for breakfast alone and asked for my eggs *sunshine over*. At home we still call them that way.!

Here a soda or pop is called a soft drink, We also use chesterfield for a couch!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:11 AM

When I lived in Philadelphia, is was called soda, Chicago it was Pop, Ohio it was Pop, upper MN we called it by the name it was Pepsi, Coke etc.

When I moved to MN, I had never heard "Can you borrow me some money" which meant, "Can you loan me some money. I stil have a hard time with that.

I have a couch. A sofa is a small couch that sits on the screened in back porch.

My husband calls my SUV a truck, he's from MN, I call it a car. I'm from the rest of the country.

It's a gravel or dirt road.
It's raining cat's and dogs. Where'd that come from.
It's colder than a witches titty??????
It's a dogs life?