Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you call ............ >

What do you call ............

What do you call ............

Old 09-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

My husband tends to say I will learn you to do this or that. We say fur instead of for -I'll pay you fur that next week.
We also use warsh My mom uses Round Robin Hood Barn when she wants to express it is the long way around to do something.
That floors me or that slays me - meaning that surprises me or that shocks me or that is so funny!! It just floors me that she did that! ( I can't believe she did that!) or It floors me when Zach says he is stuck in Papa's bed! (meaning it is sooo funny when he says that!)
Old 09-28-2010, 10:03 AM

My New Orleans children say they "make groceries"and they have "dinner at night and we always had supper.
I consider a sofa is one that makes into a bed.
Our French kinfolk say pop for a cola or a soda.
I have a ddil from Tijauna and she still says "cake pans for pancakes. Love it.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:08 AM

A flitter is flour bread cooked in a frying pan in grease. Usually eaten with syrup
Old 09-28-2010, 10:34 AM
PEP

Being originally from McKeesport,Pa, now living in Eastern Ohio for 40+ years, I drink pop, used to live on a dirt road (now it's a "chip N seal" finish, I use gum bands (rubber bands)to hold things together, and put fish eyes (reinforcements) on notebook paper when the holes rip. Oh, and when working on something and it's not going as planned or not straight it's "wonky"!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:08 AM

My Dad always told us to dred(do) the dishes.
He was from lap land where Mo. over laps into Ia.
We drink pop.
Here is a place that explains how raining cats and dogs may have been started.
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/137899

judy j
Old 09-28-2010, 12:36 PM

I have a sister, I won't say where she lives, but it is not Mississippi. The reason I say Mississippi is because that is where I was born, raised and have never lived anywhere else. Oh well, on with the story, she will say Example: Git off at air truck"
That means get off the truck. We are amazed at family gatherings that she was raised with the rest of us and talks like that.(chuckle) By way, Southern Talk in the movies is not true Southern. We do not say " I do declar" or any of the other sayings like the actors do. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-28-2010, 12:52 PM

My mama was from OK and daddy was from Tx, but I was raised here in Arizona....makes for an interesting mix. Mama (not ma, mom, mommy) always said rainin' cats and dogs, but here we say cloudburst or gully-washer. A shopping cart's just a cart, Walmart is Wally-world, if you go anywhere you're 'going to town', dowtown is the oldest part of town no matter which direction it is, boondocks or toolies mean you live outside the city limits, if the road isn't paved, it's dirt even if it does have gravel on it. We drive a pick-up, work cattle on horseback, and in the summer it's 'hotter than the backside of h___." When he had a lot to do Daddy was 'busy as a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest' and sometimes he got hoppin' mad. When something was funny, Mama got 'tickled' and if you were running into town to go get something you had to go 'fetch' it.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:31 PM

My husband's grandpa always said Holy buckets when something didn't quite go his way He was from MN now all of the grandkids and great grandkids say that too.
My friends oldest son came up with a phrase we all use and he is now 30. I don't give a care.
My daughter said she smelled a skinky stunk and that one is still used.
Growing up we had dinner at lunch time and supper at dinner time.
We drink pop but if we are going out for one we ask if you want to go get a coke whether you drink coke or not.
If you are leaving and want someone to go with you my sister-in law asks if you want to go with. I always wondered "go with what"
Old 09-28-2010, 01:39 PM

Back in VA it was a couch and we said soft drink for anything like Coke or Pepsi. I remember my mother saying "slow as molasses running uphill in January" when we kids didn't move quick enough for her.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by cjaye44
Back in VA it was a couch and we said soft drink for anything like Coke or Pepsi. I remember my mother saying "slow as molasses running uphill in January" when we kids didn't move quick enough for her.
The phrase here is "as slow as cold molasses" .

I find it very interesting that so many phrases from all over North America/Australia/UK are so similar even though we are very geographically diverse!