Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you call ............ >

What do you call ............

What do you call ............

Old 09-27-2010, 07:39 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Originally Posted by cjomomma
I have a couch, an ice box, I like soda and my dad drives a truck for a living and has a pick-up truck at home. We have winders (windows) and pillars on the bed. I say over yonder (over there). Mind you I grew up in Ca. but I speak like this. LOL.
Carrie, don't pillars hurt your head ??? hahahahaha :D
Oh my goodness, until you wrote this I was thinking "pillars" were bed posts!! :oops:
Jan in VA
Old 09-27-2010, 07:41 AM

I grew up in TN, and visited my DGM in the NC mountains quiet often. Tomatoes were maters, Tobacco was baccer. We drank sody pop, and sat on the couch. A paper bag was a sack. Poke was a salad, or a paper bag. Pot likker was the liquid in the bottom of the pot after you cooked your greens. Likkered up meant you were drunk. Wrenched means rinse. Over yonder could mean across the yard or 5 miles down the road. Gully washer is a heavy downpour. There are many more, I just can't "member" them.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:42 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I have a couch, an ice box, I like soda and my dad drives a truck for a living and has a pick-up truck at home. We have winders (windows) and pillars on the bed. I say over yonder (over there). Mind you I grew up in Ca. but I speak like this. LOL.
Carrie, don't pillars hurt your head ??? hahahahaha :D
Oh my goodness, until you wrote this I was thinking "pillars" were bed posts!! :oops:
Jan in VA

How about this: Aunt or "ant"? I'm from VA, I say awnt, and proud of it!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:43 AM

I never did hear of the word pop for soda either until I moved to Cleveland Ohio .We called it tonic.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:44 AM

I went to California to visit my brother and we went to broadwalk. I stop and asked for a coke. They look at me so funny. My brother told me they think you want to buy drugs. I told them that I was from Georgia and we call Coca~Cola- "Coke" look on back of the bottle it says Coke. :oops: I am not sure if they believe me or not.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:45 AM

Probably the one that confuses people is when I say, "We are working cattle". Usually that means we are on horseback either rounding them up for shipping or moving them to another pasture. (We are actually rounding them up today & tomorrow and shipping them Thursday & Friday, so it will be a busy week!)

Everyday terms: couch, recliner, pop, pouring rain or just spitting, lunch, supper.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Rhonda thanks for starting this thread. I'm finding it very interesting.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Marlys
Probably the one that confuses people is when I say, "We are working cattle". Usually that means we are on horseback either rounding them up for shipping or moving them to another pasture. (We are actually rounding them up today & tomorrow and shipping them Thursday & Friday, so it will be a busy week!)

Everyday terms: couch, recliner, pop, pouring rain or just spitting, lunch, supper.
I grew up on a cattle ranch and when we said we were " working cattle" that meant. We were putting them in the squeeze chute and giving shots, cutting horns, branding etc.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:20 AM

I had a friend, not gonna say how long ago, LOL, but she was from the south and I'll never forget the time we were in a store and she asked for a "poke". Thats what a "bag, or sack" was to her. Around here you'd get something a little different if you asked for a Poke.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Rhonda it's called a ice box because they used to put ice blocks in the Container on the bottom to keep the food cold. Correct me if I am wrong please. I know didn't give a very good discritption of it.
You're right. They are really neat(dating myself here) looking old cabinets! My mom tells of putting everything in the ice house. Her mom made Jello when it first came out and she had to make it in a jar and put it in the icehouse to set it. It was a special treat because it was harder to make then.