Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you call ............ >

What do you call ............

What do you call ............

Old 10-02-2010, 09:06 AM

My maternal gm called a couch a davenport. Was that maybe the name of a couch maker in old days?
Old 10-02-2010, 04:53 PM

This has been so much fun to read!!!!

I drink pop or a soft-drink...preferably a Pepsi, until I moved here, I sat on a chesterfield. My step-daughter finally teased that out of me!!! LOL It still seems slightly foreign to say sofa or couch.

One thing I haven't seen on here yet is "gaunchies"....mens' underpants. Anyone else ever heard that one?

Patti
Old 10-04-2010, 09:15 PM

i grew up in washington state and moved to oklahoma with my first husband thanks to the us army one of the couples we hung out with was from indiana and she was making spaghetti one night for dinner and said usually she puts mangos in her sauce and i told her she was crazy mangos in spaghetti sauce ooo uck the next week when we were in the commisary she showed me what she meant...a green pepper! i thought she was talking about mango the fruit that was the first time i realized different parts of the country say different things than other parts of the country.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:31 PM

I've enjoyed this post immensely.
Thought you might like to hear a few from Australia. These can change from state to state.
In our house we sit on the lounge. We drink soft drink. We eat lunch around noon and have tea at night.(my grandchildren correct me on this and say it's dinner. Dinner for me is a hot meal in the middle of the day.
We put our food in a fridge to keep it cold (but I can remember the iceman coming when I was very small. Thanks Ditter for the reminder of the big metal tongs. I'd forgotten them)
It is either pouring or bucketing down with rain or spitting if it's just light.
We go to the toilet or the loo. What we referred to as stepins was a girdle. The guys called them tin underpants. Haven't worn them in years, thank goodness. Men's undies are just that or jocks. (Jockey brand)
After this thread I'll understand a few more things when reading a book.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed. I've had so much fun reading these.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:36 PM

Everybody bring a plate.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
What do you call a meal where everyone who comes brings a prepared portion of the meal?

In upstate NY they were called "dish-to-pass" dinners. In Ohio no one ever heard of that term. They are called pot luck dinners, or covered dish dinners.

What do you call them?

This topic is so much fun and extremely interesting to read!
Everybody bring a plate or BYO food.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:32 PM

Two stories on not having another meaning for a word. One is my own, the other is from someone else. To protect the innocent, I won't say who. ;)

I was in S.E Idaho as a volunteer, and while visiting a couple, I overheard the gentleman talking to another on the phone. He was talking about how his son got a new outfit, how happy he was, etc. I was amused. I thought just women got all excited about new clothes. Come to find out he was talking about a TRUCK!

This next story also took place in Idaho. A San Francisco bay area young lady was attending a church college and went to a local dance when she spied a young man she was interested in. When he finally asked her to dance, they went through the usual questions you do in that situation; where are you from? (Idaho) What is your major?

When asked if he came with his roommates he said: "Nah, they're gay." "That's OK, I used to be gay too." You can imagine what this meant to the girl from the San Francisco area!

She later found out he meant they just were not interested in dating at the time.

They are married with 5 kids now.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by MinnieKat
I call it a couch, but when I was young my mom and dad called it a davenport.
My mom called it a davenport, too. I was hoping someone else would use the word. I think it was a couch that folded open into a bed. I'm old enough that I remember the iceman delivering ice - and all of us kids used to beg him for chips in the summer. Now I call it the fridge. We called all the 'soft drinks' cokes.

In AZ we still have a swamp cooler - don't need a/c, because we don't stay for the summer!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
In our family, and extended, it's called a poda sop, has been since my youngest started talking, and the other children in the family call it that too, and the adults follow suit. We never say sofa, always couch. My Grandma always said AL(as in Al Rouker), mands, for almonds, no one can figure out where she got this. Other weird things said are: torlet toilet), chimley(chimney) and warsh(wash).
Makes me remember my son putting on his 'beet selt' in the car.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
Does anyone remember 'macadem'? You drove on the dirt road or the macadem (sp?) - paved road.
macadam - named for the inventor MacAdam.