Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you do for the Big M? >

What do you do for the Big M?

What do you do for the Big M?

Old 08-06-2011, 01:46 PM

I had to have my plumbing removed at age 37. Now I am 62. I never had any symptoms. I am so lucky. I am having problems right now from an old back injury.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by babyboomerquilter
I am going to watch this topic, I would really like to get off of Premerin.
I've been on HRT for about 20 years. Finally my Dr. said "No more". We reduced the dosage, then went to three days a week and now two days a week and no sx. Just titrate it gradually.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:08 PM

I swear by Vitamin Worlds Flash Fighters. It is for mood swings and hot flashes. Never had a hot flash while on it. I was very irregular years ago and HATED the side effects of prescription med. Looked around and started taking this. Took it for 10 years. The side effect of this was regular menses. I stopped only because I wanted to go through the change and STOP. Started back on it because I could not handle the fact my dog was hit by lightening. I was a disaster. Within a day I could handle the death better.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:34 PM

First of all I rid our house of all handguns!!! Past that I have just had to tough it out as my family has a heavy history of cancer. Sorry I am not more helpful!!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

my hot flashes are back. i thought they were gone!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi, Surgical menopause 41 yrs ago and have been on Premarin since then. started with the highest dose ..currently on the lowest. I have tried to stop using the meds altogether but the nightsweats and mood swings are just too much for me at 71.

You are supposed to be helpful and tell me that this s..t will go away! At almost 54 the hot flashes and night sweats are more than just a bother.
a lot of what you're hearing is the worst. a lot of others hardly know it even happened. i had flashes, still do and that was/is still it. no headaches, extra weight, depression, etc. eat healthy food, exercise, listen to your gyn and stay positive.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:59 PM

Lots of crushed ice to chew on, lots of water to drink, a B complex stress formula by Sundown vitamins and had a pretty smooth transition. Before that, I was on HRT and all I did was cry and feel like I was losing my mind....so I found what worked for me.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:41 PM

There's an item called "Evercool" mat I found at Walgreen's. It's pressure senstive and cools when you touch it. I put that thing under me at night, then pull it out, then put it back. it helps!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:09 PM

PLEASE! Consider phytoestrogens. I did not know the cruelty associated with premarin "production" until I had an insurance physical and the animal loving nurse educated me. I personally felt yucky on premarin...was only on it for a month...started on phytoestrogens. Took them for a year and have been off ever since and that was 11 years ago. Absolutely no problems at all.
This is the least gruesome info I could attach.
http://www.horsetreatment.com/horse-...abuse-premarin
If you want a horse, United Animal Nation has a link to adopt premarin mares and foals.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:26 PM

Had a "surgical M" = had been prescribed Estrogen patches, that didn't last long....took minimal dose orally, must admit...never noticed any problems.

If I had symptoms, I never paid any attention to them.
In some situations, I think I might have thought I was "supposed" to experience them, when in fact I never did....
Bottom line, I never had any problems....or if I did I never let it bother me. Make sense?